PDA

View Full Version : Hi Everyone!

Penny Graham
02-21-2007, 05:52 AM
Wanted to finally introduce myself as one of the newest newbies. I have been here for a few days with some specific questions which have been so generously answered by so many of you. What a great group of people I am so proud to have joined. I'm embarrased that I didn't do this sooner, and have been trying to learn all the rules and things to know and understand about this site. I'm Penny Graham and I'm just another writer trying to make it with writing and you guys have been invaluable. I love animals, especially dogs, and wish I could do what they do on Animal Cops for a living, but have to content myself with helping strays find homes and keep an eye out for them. Out here in the country people drop them off and it's pretty easy to spot a new scared dog wandering around. I hope to write more about dogs, books that used to be popular when I was a kid. Books like Lad of Sunnybank series, White Fang, Shag, Call of the Wild, Treve...these instilled such of love of dogs in me when I was 6 and I never got over it. I don't see many books like these now. Mostly I see How to raise, breed, train, etc, but no stories. Is there anyone out there that thinks there is a crying shortage of these books? Anyway, I'm so happy to be here and thanks to all who started and maintained this site.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-21-2007, 05:56 AM
You won't be a newbie long, Penny! Before you know it, you'll be an ol' timer... just like... uh... me!

Welcome to the Cooler!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-21-2007, 05:57 AM
Oh, and don't miss 'Writing about Animals and Nature' (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)!

oarsman
02-21-2007, 06:55 AM
Hi Penny! Yes, don't miss the Animals & Nature forum...pets are welcome too. I love books about nature and animals.

One of my favorite lines from Call of the Wild-
"And when, on the still cold nights, he pointed his nose at a star and howled long and wolflike, it was his ancestors, dead and dust, pointing nose at star and howling down through the centuries and through him."

johnrobison
02-21-2007, 06:59 AM
My wife and many of her friends are animalists.

We have an old blind poodle, too.

Welcome to AW and best of luck with your writing.

P.H.Delarran
02-21-2007, 07:18 AM
Hi Penny:welcome:

louisgodwin
02-21-2007, 10:46 AM
Welcome to AW, Penny!

MacAllister
02-21-2007, 11:06 AM
Hi, Penny, and welcome to the Cooler. :)

sthrnwriter
02-21-2007, 11:51 AM
:hi: Penny! Welcome to AW.

Keyboard Hound
02-21-2007, 12:16 PM
Hi Penny. Another animal lover here. With us, it's cats. My daughter is allergic to dogs.

williemeikle
02-21-2007, 01:15 PM
Hello from Scotland :welcome:

Nickie
02-21-2007, 01:57 PM
Welcome to the Cooler, Penny!

Nickie

Moon Daughter
02-21-2007, 05:09 PM
Welcome Penny

Little Red Barn
02-21-2007, 05:11 PM
Big Welcome to AW! Penney :)

Meerkat
02-21-2007, 06:07 PM
Hi Penny, and welcome to AW! Your five acres in the woods just took away every excuse you could ever have NOT to be a successful writer--you already have the writer's refuge the rest of us fantaci... fantizise..... dream about every day!

limitedtimeauthor
02-21-2007, 06:52 PM
:welcome: Penny! I love your "Best piece of advice": Everything's always okay in the end; if it isn't okay then it isn't the end.

Can I keep it? (pweeese?) I promise to attribute properly! :)

ltd.

MajorDrums
02-21-2007, 07:24 PM
Welcome, Penny! Glad you've jumped right in!

C.bronco
02-21-2007, 07:27 PM
Welcome aboard! You'll find plenty of animal lovers here too.

Freckles
02-21-2007, 08:00 PM
Welcome, Penny!!! Glad to see you around these parts...

san_remo_ave
02-22-2007, 04:11 AM
Hi Penny,

welcome to AW!

jamiehall
02-22-2007, 08:27 PM
:welcome: :TheWave: :welcome:
:hooray: :partyguy: :PartySmil :banana: :banana: :Jump: :banana: :wag:

Glad you've already gotten so much use out of the site!

Penny Graham
02-23-2007, 12:16 PM
:welcome: Penny! I love your "Best piece of advice": Everything's always okay in the end; if it isn't okay then it isn't the end.

Can I keep it? (pweeese?) I promise to attribute properly! :)

ltd.
Thank you all for the wonderful warm welcome! And Limited Time Author, help yourself to that phrase. I did. I saw it running endlessly across a computer while I was working. I see these things all night and wonder "who comes up with this stuff?" Another one was "raising teenagers is like trying to nail Jello to a tree". And then there's : Some people are like slinkies. They don't really have any purpose in life, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs. Anyway, see you guys all over the board, I'm still trying to figure out a lot of it. Practice, Practice Practice.

Penny Graham
02-23-2007, 12:19 PM
Oh, and don't miss 'Writing about Animals and Nature' (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)!
Thanks Ol' Girl,
I definitely plan on that in the near future.

Penny Graham
02-23-2007, 12:24 PM
Hi Penny, and welcome to AW! Your five acres in the woods just took away every excuse you could ever have NOT to be a successful writer--you already have the writer's refuge the rest of us fantaci... fantizise..... dream about every day!
I try to tell the agents and publishers that, but it gets me nowhere. LoL...Thanks for the welcome. You guys are all great!

brainstorm77
02-23-2007, 02:41 PM
Welcome :)

MistOfShadows
02-23-2007, 07:40 PM
Hello Penny,...
Nice to meet ya,...
hope ya find we,...
can sometimes please ya,...
dont be scared to,...
make new friends here,...
Everyone Meet Penny Graham, and Give her a cheer!!!!

(hehehehhe)
8)

calamity
02-24-2007, 03:41 AM
I want to live on 5 acres in Tenn. Sounds heavenly. Welcome!

Penny Graham
02-24-2007, 02:44 PM
Come on out then! There's plenty of room for a tent city here if you don't mind all the acorns dropping on your tentroof. We're so far out of the city limits that we have our own campfire pit. No one controls the shooting out here either so that's been the sound of the country...kerpow,kerpow...don't like that.And the natives get a little restless on the weekends, but other than that it is pretty cool.

Penny Graham
02-24-2007, 02:46 PM
Hello Penny,...
Nice to meet ya,...
hope ya find we,...
can sometimes please ya,...
dont be scared to,...
make new friends here,...
Everyone Meet Penny Graham, and Give her a cheer!!!!

(hehehehhe)
8)
Thanks for that sweet welcome. You truly are a poet Mist of shadows. I'll have to try that with some of the other newbies.

Penny Graham
02-24-2007, 02:48 PM
Welcome :)
Thanks Brainstorm, I love your little kissy guys! Where are all these cartoon people coming from?

Penny Graham
02-24-2007, 02:51 PM
Hi Penny! Yes, don't miss the Animals & Nature forum...pets are welcome too. I love books about nature and animals.

One of my favorite lines from Call of the Wild-
"And when, on the still cold nights, he pointed his nose at a star and howled long and wolflike, it was his ancestors, dead and dust, pointing nose at star and howling down through the centuries and through him."
Wasn't that the coolest book? That quote gave me the shivers. To think I was reading that when I was a kid. I wish more books would come out like that one and all the others. I wonder if they are just not popular anymore. But that guy who wrote the Black Stallion books! Walter Farlely? What a brilliant idea, a series of horse books starting with the sire and continuing forever! I'll have to give this one some thought!

Penny Graham
02-24-2007, 02:57 PM
My wife and many of her friends are animalists.

We have an old blind poodle, too.

Welcome to AW and best of luck with your writing.
You feel like an old friend already, John Robison. I'm not surprised you care about animals too. I couldn't work at a shelter, I'd be crying all day. I am looking forward to your book and also your brother's. Talented family, (and brave too)

Penny Graham
02-24-2007, 02:59 PM
Thanks ph...you've been here a long time. You must know this board inside and out. I'm trying though.

Penny Graham
02-24-2007, 03:00 PM
Welcome to AW, Penny!
Thanks Lewis, it's going to be fun.

Penny Graham
02-24-2007, 03:05 PM
:hi: Penny! Welcome to AW.
Hi Sthrnwriter! Thanks for the welcome.

Penny Graham
02-24-2007, 03:08 PM
Hi, Penny, and welcome to the Cooler. :)
Thanks Macallister, I want to save the kiwis too., What is it?

Penny Graham
02-24-2007, 03:11 PM
Hi Penny. Another animal lover here. With us, it's cats. My daughter is allergic to dogs.
Hey, Keyboard hound! Welcome to you too! YOu've been busy!!!50 posts in February! You're a great addition to this board!

Penny Graham
02-24-2007, 03:12 PM
Hello from Scotland :welcome:
Hello Scotland!!!! One of my favorite countries..especially since Braveheart. Always loved the kilts and bagpipes! It must be so beautiful over there!

Penny Graham
02-24-2007, 03:26 PM
HI Nicki,
Thanks for the welcome! You are a publisher in Belgium! I looked at your site and it looks like something I might be interested in submitting to. Do you own the company?

Penny Graham
02-24-2007, 03:31 PM
Welcome Penny
Hi Moon daughter, Amanda,
If I ruled the world it would be a disaster too. Every time I think it weakens the Nation. Good thing it is already screwed up.

Penny Graham
02-24-2007, 03:35 PM
Hi Gclare,
thanks for the welcome! I gave up on being paid handsomely a long time ago. I can't even win the lottery. I'm sure it's rigged, because no one could get that many numbers wrong every time...all the numbers wrong? Over and over?
Now what's the odds on that?

Penny Graham
02-24-2007, 03:38 PM
Welcome, Penny! Glad you've jumped right in!
Thanks Major Drums...Hey there was a black muppet? I missed that one. I want to change mine now...I picked Kermit because he sang "The Rainbow Connection"...if it wasn't for his big hit, I wouldn't know what a muppet was.

Penny Graham
02-24-2007, 03:42 PM
Big Welcome to AW! Penney :)
All Right Kimmi, Give it up. Who was the rock star? And please turn your sassymouthed teen over to rule the world. Guaranteed it would be a better place to live!!!!! With all you got going on, you might need to come vacation on five acres in the woods. Grab a tent!

Penny Graham
02-24-2007, 03:44 PM
Welcome aboard! You'll find plenty of animal lovers here too.
Thank you! It's nice to see so many animal lovers in here. There's just not enough of us to go around.

Penny Graham
02-24-2007, 03:48 PM
Welcome, Penny!!! Glad to see you around these parts...
Hi Freckles,
I'm a worry wart too. But then there is The Rainbow Connection to give us all heart. Don't you love that song? What were they thinking when they wrote it? Very mystical.

Penny Graham
02-24-2007, 03:51 PM
Hi Penny,

welcome to AW!
Hey Melissa! You live in Murfreesbobo? I'm in White Bluff out here! You are a neighbor...sort of, give or take 60 miles, huh?

Penny Graham
02-24-2007, 03:52 PM
:welcome: :TheWave: :welcome:
:hooray: :partyguy: :PartySmil :banana: :banana: :Jump: :banana: :wag:

Glad you've already gotten so much use out of the site!
Hi jamie, thanks for the welcome. Where are you getting all those cute jumping around critters?

Penny Graham
02-24-2007, 03:58 PM
Welcome to AW, Penny!
I loved your idea about ruling the world, with the whiners. Would you serve cheese with that whine? Hey we both like Stephen King and Dean Koontz! Dean has really done some great ones in the last 5 years.

Dantes
02-24-2007, 06:01 PM
A hardy wag of the tail to you Penny. You and my sister are kindred spirits. She has seven dogs -- count'em 7, all mutts and some rescued from pound deathrow. She used to run her own company on the side called The Pup Stop. It sold her homecooked dog food recipes, natural or organic fare healthier than most of the stuff my children eat. It was expensive, though, and she eventually gave the biz up. She still cooks it for her own dogs though. ... Anyhow, welcome.

Penny Graham
02-25-2007, 09:59 AM
A hardy wag of the tail to you Penny. You and my sister are kindred spirits. She has seven dogs -- count'em 7, all mutts and some rescued from pound deathrow. She used to run her own company on the side called The Pup Stop. It sold her homecooked dog food recipes, natural or organic fare healthier than most of the stuff my children eat. It was expensive, though, and she eventually gave the biz up. She still cooks it for her own dogs though. ... Anyhow, welcome.
Hey Dantes,
I know what you mean about expensive with the dog food. We used to buy the grocery store kind and eventually learned the difference between those and the high priced ones. We go with Nutro now, but they won't eat it unless it's piled with steak, ham, chicken etc so they are getting decent food.But I'd love to know more about your sister's homecooked dog food. My sister has the Course of Miracles around here (she lives with us) and she reads it every day.(sometimes to us) Thanks for the welcome, and welcome to you too!

young pirate
02-26-2007, 12:30 AM
Nice to meet you, Penny.

Braydie
02-26-2007, 01:00 AM
Penny,

I've been browsing around and thought I'd offered my welcome to you, but I guess I didn't. So: Welcome from another Newbie.

Have fun. Learn along with me...

Penny Graham
02-26-2007, 08:36 PM
Nice to meet you, Penny.
Hi Retired young pirate! I like Stephen King too! What was your first best-seller you lucky dog! Learn? Heck, you'll be teaching us soon! Thanks for the welcome and a hearty welcome to you too!!!

Penny Graham
02-26-2007, 08:42 PM
Hey Braydie, our birthdays are 2 days and one year off, so don't be calling us old just yet. We are MID way, and experienced, and isn't it fun to be older than everyone around you? WE both like Kermit too, me because he sang that great song, "The Rainbow Connection", and another dog lover too. That is what a Maltese is? or do you have falcons.All these newbies, including me, are the Feb batch. Does that make us Pisces writers? We will probably meet in the animal section one of these days. Great to meet you.

Meerkat
02-27-2007, 05:56 PM
Hi Gclare,
thanks for the welcome! I gave up on being paid handsomely a long time ago. I can't even win the lottery. I'm sure it's rigged, because no one could get that many numbers wrong every time...all the numbers wrong? Over and over?
Now what's the odds on that?

Actually, they can... the lottery has been called a tax on people who are bad at math!

Besides, I'm pretty certain I am holding the winning powerball ticket for Wednesday....

Penny Graham
02-27-2007, 11:47 PM
Hi Gclare,
Whoa, I pay enough taxes, being self-employed and all. But since you have the winning ticket I guess I won't get one this Wednesday. How's your math? I still say the odds of getting every number wrong have to be higher than getting any right.

Braydie
02-28-2007, 03:43 AM
Penny,

You must have read my bio in which I mentioned being a contented old gal. ;)

I, too, liked Kermit's rendition of "Rainbow Connection." :cry: It nearly always brings a tear to my eye.

As a fellow dog lover, I'm sure you know my Maltese are dogs :snoopy: - not falcons. :ROFL: Great sense of humor.

I browsed around and am glad that I stumbled into a forum that I have found to be full of invaluable information, and, as a fellow newbie, I think you might find it a great forum to check out. I think you'll be glad you did. You'll find answers to a lot of newbie questions.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38898

ambi007
02-28-2007, 04:11 AM
Hello and welcome from another newbie!

Penny Graham
02-28-2007, 04:16 AM
Hi ambi007, thank you...I tried to see your profile but you are a mystery, so welcome to you too, you are as new as me

Madonna'sGhostWriter
03-06-2007, 03:15 AM
Hi Penny and :welcome: to the Cooler. I remember the books you mentioned in your post. I recall reading both Call of the Wild and Balto when I was in 5th and 6th grade. True classics.

Penny Graham
03-17-2007, 11:01 PM
Hi Penny and :welcome: to the Cooler. I remember the books you mentioned in your post. I recall reading both Call of the Wild and Balto when I was in 5th and 6th grade. True classics.
Hi Ghostwriter, I answered your thread, but I see it didn't get on here, so thank you for the welcome and the great words about the books. I think we need more of them. I sent you a rep point, but don't know how to see if you got it, since the message didn't get here. How do you subscribe to the threads so you see the answer when someone posts to your thread, or any other?

louisgodwin
03-18-2007, 11:20 AM
How do you subscribe to the threads so you see the answer when someone posts to your thread, or any other?

Scroll up aways on this page until you get to the first post. Look at the blue bar which runs along the top of the first post. Click on "Thread Tools." You should see a "Subscribe to Thread" option.

When you check your reps in User CP, if there's any new posts to your subscribed threads, it will be the first thing you see when you go into User CP, above all your rep points.