PDA

View Full Version : Sports Book - First of its Kind! How to Proceed?

tombookpub
01-22-2007, 03:51 AM
I am planning to write a book on a popular sport in a manner that has not been written before. (The only books written to date are statistical or "how to compete"). I am contemplating a "creative non-fiction" approach that will focus on the sport's struggles to succeed and become popular. However, since this book will be the first "overview-like" book on the market, maybe I should proceed with a purely factual, descriptive book. To use an example, let's pretend that NASCAR is a relatively new sport and is now beginning to appeal to the masses. I could write a book about how the sport has survived it challenges to succeed, or I could simply write a book that explains about the sport. What do you think? Thanks!

aka eraser
01-22-2007, 07:18 PM
Hi tom. The description you offered is pretty vague. I'm guessing you don't want to give too many details for fear your idea will be nicked. (I wouldn't worry too much about that.)

Where does the (potentially) bigger audience lie - afficionados who may want to know more background about their sport or newcomers wanting an overview? My gut feeling is that the former represents the larger target market.

Is there any reason why one book couldn't accomodate both concepts? Maybe a brief-ish overview of the sport and an explanation of its appeal could be followed by a history of how it came to be.

Has the book evolved much beyond the planning stage? If not, I suggest you simply sit down and start writing it. After a couple of weeks and a few thousand words you may find it's taking the direction it was meant to all along, or an entirely new one you didn't expect.

Good luck with it.

WerenCole
01-23-2007, 01:03 AM
I am curious as to what type of style you are looking at. . . something like "Everything You Ever Wanted To Know But Don't About NASCAR: With A Stunning Personal Narrative Of My Expedition Into The Annals of Pit Row." Or Something more like "Inside NASCAR: The Journey From Cult To Class." Or is it something more like a creative non-fiction account of the people of NASCAR and how they have changed as the sport has changed. I agree with Frank, you are a bit vague though as always he has the right (write) idea. Just start writing and see what happens. Post here to let us know where you go, I am curious.

By the way Frank, stop whispering to that fish. . .it's just. . . creepy:tongue

aka eraser
01-23-2007, 08:59 PM
...By the way Frank, stop whispering to that fish. . .it's just. . . creepy:tongue

I dunno why you think so Weren. I mean, most of the time the fish is the one doing the talking. I'm just listening politely.

;)

tombookpub
01-24-2007, 07:03 AM
Thanks for your help. I do think the book lends itself to wider appeal - possibly with the struggle slant. I have worked up a query letter and am 90% complete with my research/interviewing. My proposal is about 70% complete with 2-3 chapters and an outline being fine-tuned. At this stage, I'm leaning towards how all the "Players" in this sports have struggled to make this sport succeed - after an overview of sorts.