PDA

View Full Version : Is this okay for research purposes or is this weird?

Project nachonaco
09-06-2006, 04:21 AM
My novel deals with missing children.

Should I call the NCMEC hotline and ask them general questions, or is that weird?

veinglory
09-06-2006, 04:25 AM
Do not call the hotline. Look at the website for a general number or email for inquiries if you must contect them, but IMHO there are less intrusive ways of getting the material you need.

rtilryarms
09-06-2006, 06:13 AM
All of these agencies have their Public Relations and Information departments. They would love being interviewed by you.

persiphone_hellecat
09-06-2006, 06:49 AM
Phone: 703-274-3900

Kristen King
09-08-2006, 09:07 AM
National centers and associations are great resources for stuff, and there should be no problem with your calling their main number and asking them to connect you to someone who could answer a few questions for an article you're writing. They're used to it, and they appreciate the publicity and the chance to be expert sources.

Kristen

Kentuk
09-27-2006, 11:41 AM
Don't know if you should admit to being a novelist. In their shoes I wouldn't want to interview with a fiction writer. It's called fiction for a reason.

rtilryarms
09-27-2006, 04:40 PM
Don't know if you should admit to being a novelist. In their shoes I wouldn't want to interview with a fiction writer. It's called fiction for a reason.

As one who is involved, I disagree. It is critical for them to communicate the true mission of the organization and leave speculation out of the minds of people with imaginations.
The public perception of homeless shelters, for example, is not very flattering. Once you talk with a true representative of the program, you won't be able to help yourself but turn your opinion around.
All you read about in the media is about lazy panhandling bums reaching out for a freebie. That is about 5% of the truth. Although they are not turned away either, many human beings find themselves in physical, mental and financial need. Most of them give back later.

I wrote in another post where I stood behind a hopeless case 21 years ago. He was literally peeled off the street and ICU brought him back to life. Overdose. A drug dealer. Hopeless alcoholic. Runaway. Violent street urchin.
I gave him a job and told the judge I would sponsor him. People thought I was a fool with this one.

Today he is a very wealthy, very involved community leader. It was not me who turned him around, it was he that did it. It was his time.

Thatís what these agencies do, they give opportunity. And they want that word to get out. They would love to lead any writer or novelist on the proper path of information. If they donít, the wrong message gets out.

I was a runaway, though I did not reach out to any programs, I understand what their clients are going through.