PDA

View Full Version : Amazon rankings

Garpy
05-04-2006, 05:34 PM
I'm curious to know what a good ranking is on Amazon. I wonder if anyone knows approximately what sort of units you'd be shifting if your book was in the top 1000, 100....10?

It's a live update as well, isn't it? I think it's atleast updated three or four times a day to reflect the sales figures.

If anyone has any info on how the rankings are done, what's a respectable rank etc etc...I'd be very interested.

jchines
05-04-2006, 06:25 PM
Garpy -- check out this article.

http://www.fonerbooks.com/surfing.htm

maestrowork
05-04-2006, 07:52 PM
The way I understand it, the ranking doesn't mean much unless you're in the four-digit range (sustained... not just a spike. People do things like that -- order 100 books and voila, their ranking's at 2450 today). There really is no point checking the ranking three times a day. I don't even check it once a week. I do, however, check the Ingram sales report. :)

p.s. I think they update the rankings every hour.

Maryn
05-04-2006, 08:47 PM
After the tenth or fifteenth time I had to listen to a self-published author brag about amazon sales, I copied the words of our own illustrious Uncle Jim: An Amazon ranking in the 2.5 million range means that one person bought a copy of the book. An Amazon rating in the 1.5 million range means that four or five bought it.

Of course, there are other points of sale whose numbers I don't know. And of course, I never say it to the blowhard author. I just like knowing it.

Maryn, petty and spiteful, but admirably silent

Christine N.
05-04-2006, 10:02 PM
It's all relative, anyway; it's not how many books you've sold, it's about how many you've sold compared to everyone else. So if JK Rowling has a bad day, and you sold three copies, it looks better than it is. (ok that's extreme, but you get the idea.)

icerose
05-05-2006, 05:59 AM
Mine was in the 3 million range, one sale put it at 500K...one sale that was never supposed to happen as the book has been released. :cry:

Maryn
05-05-2006, 04:20 PM
Ow, icerose. A painful lesson there. Here, have a cupcake to lighten the sting...

Maryn, who made cupcakes (but most are going straight into the freezer)

icerose
05-05-2006, 06:06 PM
Thanks Maryn,

And I've been told there is nothing I can do other than contact the vendors and tell them not to continue selling my book.

Sara