What to name website?

2nycwriter

Registered
Reaction score
So I am new to the writing feild but I have been working hard on trying to come up with a name for my website. It would make me feel like a real writer if I had a website. So I seen that alot of people have their names as their site name. I kinda dont want to do that. I wanted to do something like writingsby___________, thoughtsby_______. My dream is to be kinda like Carrie Bradshaw and write about my life not really just my love life but I want to write articles where people dont feel alone because they are going through certain ordeals in their life. I want the name to be professional but also kinda humble where readers would feel like it is something they want to read. I had someone tell me that it should have it editorialsby_________ but thats too professional sounding. Thank you.

2nycwriter

Registered
Reaction score
I dont want someone to pick my website name but I wanted to be pointed in the right direction on how to pick it myself.

PortableHal

Not-so-new
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marsneedswriters.com
I went with Mars Needs Writers because my writing partner and I used to be on a bowling team, decades ago, called Mars Needs Bowlers. The name of the site has appealed to no one except me and my partner so I'd suggest you don't do anything like it.

As far as your own website? Have fun with the name and other people will, too. (SmartBitchesTrashyBooks did well with that approach.) Content will drive traffic to your site; not that many people will care about the title.

Last edited:

punstress

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you wouldn't want your name, or a pen name, to be your site. It would make it easiest for people to find. If you're going to have your name in the site anyway, it's best not to clutter it with other words unless the domain is already taken. People may remember your name, but forget if your site is thoughtsby_ or ideasby_ or whatever. You're not adding anything that's particularly creative or memorable.

But if the blog's not going to be about you, then play around with the subject matter. You mention "ordeals" which makes me think of "Deal or No Deal," so maybe there's something there.

Maybe make up a pen name like Ophelia Payne or Sharon Struggles (I just made those up so check if they're already in use). Or go for something quirky and random. One of my favorite blog names is 8 Years of Being Annoyed by Chloe Sevigny, where I've yet to see anything about Chloe Sevigny. BTW last I looked the blog wasn't being updated so don't bother looking.

Look up cliches and see if you can replace a letter or a word to make a clever pun, and look at your first or last name to see if you can play off that.

The bigger blog hosting sites let you skip randomly through blogs, where you can pick up some inspiration. Look at the blogrolls (links to other blogs) to see a bunch of names at once.