Comments button not working?

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
I think my comments button on my blog isn't working. Someone on AW wrote me a PM saying that it wasn't working for them, but I don't know how to fix it. It could be the reason why I haven't had any comments since I switched to the new template (or just no one wants to comment...lol). How do I go about fixing it? I have no idea where to start. Also, this template doesn't carry over the little buttons at the end of posts for Twitter, Facbook and so on for people to share the post. Can I somehow add those in? Is there some code for it that this template does not have? I like the looks of this template and would like to keep it. I have no idea how to do any tweaking to it whatsoever.

Thanks for any and all advice.

SLTE

woop woop
Registered
Reaction score
I think my comments button on my blog isn't working. Someone on AW wrote me a PM saying that it wasn't working for them, but I don't know how to fix it. It could be the reason why I haven't had any comments since I switched to the new template (or just no one wants to comment...lol). How do I go about fixing it? I have no idea where to start. Also, this template doesn't carry over the little buttons at the end of posts for Twitter, Facbook and so on for people to share the post. Can I somehow add those in? Is there some code for it that this template does not have? I like the looks of this template and would like to keep it. I have no idea how to do any tweaking to it whatsoever.

Thanks for any and all advice.
The comments might be a permissions problem. Start by going to your Dashboard, then look for Settings on the left side of the screen, near the bottom of the menu. Click Posts and Comments, then look for Comment Location. Make sure comments aren't marked as 'Hidden'. If that doesn't work, try changing the settings for who can post.

The share buttons should be easy to reinstall. Again, check the Dashboard, and click on Layout. Click on Edit on the blog posts field, then scroll down to Show Share Buttons. Enable them and they should show up. If that doesn't work, you may have to go into the code of the site and install the necessary HTML manually.

Hope that helps. I know the pain of nudging Blogger into working order.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
I think I have to install the HTML manually because I already have it set to show the share buttons and they don't show. I have no clue where to get the HTML code and where to put it if I do find it. I currently have my comments set on embedded for the comment location. Should I try in a different location? I have it set for anyone to comment, but to always have moderation. Thanks for your help.

SLTE

woop woop
Registered
Reaction score
Try this quick fix for the share button problem before installing the code manually for each one. You can also try entering that same code in the Blogger Template Designer, under Advanced, then Add CSS. If that doesn't work, you'll either need to look for another code fix or go to the sites of each social media service and look for Blogger sharing code. Should only take a quick Google search to install them properly.

Try this fix for the comments problem. It may also fix the share button issue, now that I'm looking at it. Like it says, it'll wipe out any changes that may have removed comment functionality. The article DOESN'T suggest backing up your blog, however, which I highly recommend doing before you try this change. You can back up your current template by going to your Dashboard, then Template, then click Backup / Restore in the top right corner of the form. It'll let you download a copy of the page's HTML code to your desktop. You can then upload it back to that same spot later if something goes wrong and return to the blog's current state.

Actually, yeah, try that second tip first. Hopefully it will smash all your problems in one go.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Okay, the internet gods hate me. I tried to do a backup/restore of my blog, but when I hit save it brings up IE and acts like it is downloading something onto there, but all I get is a blank page and it stops downloading halfway. Ugh. Then, I tried to do the fix in the second link you gave me, but Blogspot won't let me make changes to the HTML code. Ugh again.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Okay, so I decided to change the comment location from embedded to pop up and now it seems to work, I think. Just need someone to leave a comment and see. Would rather use the embedded option, but I guess if the pop up option will actually work, I'll use that instead. Thanks SLTE for the links.

SLTE

woop woop
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, works for me. Good stuff.

And no worries. I have experienced little else besides dull aggravation every time I've tried to change something on Blogger. It's a versatile platform if you know your HTML (or know where to find code you can copy and paste), but it's so dang finicky.