• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Short question on dialogue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinman

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all.

When writing dialogue, how do you handle someone speaking individual letters? For instance, say a young student was reciting his ABC's. Would you write it "ABC", "A-B-C", or some other way? Thanks!!!

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
"A. B. C."

or

"A-B-C."

Your choice. I like the second, the first sounds more strict. And I've seen the second used more often. Make sure you tell the reader that they spelled it out.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I would use the dashes. They look better, and I've seen it done in novels before.

Ohgodaspider

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I've heard the letters are supposed to be spelled out. J would be Jay. Z would Zee. Like that.

Graphite

Hodor. Hodor. Hodor.
Registered
Reaction score
It'd be way too confusing to spell the letters out. Wye ie eh aitch?

Tinman

Registered
Reaction score
You might think about "A...B...C..." as well.

Brian, thanks!!! To me, the difference between a hyphen and ellipses is the amount of time separating the letters or words - - the ellipses is longer. If the character was reciting her ABC's, I might use the ellipses, maybe. Although I used the ABC example above, in this particular instance, the character is using an abbreviation for a name. B-S-C. Behavioral Resources Center. I think the hyphens might work better. But thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.