To Monetize or Not to Monetize?

Reaction score
Website
www.thefaithpoliticsbaseballblog.com
Today I got an email saying my blog had been approved for WordPress' new WordAds program, where they pay you for having Ad's on your blog. My question is, I've heard that those kind of things can turn away people from the blog because of the Ads. Do people find this to be true or not? Is it worth it?

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
If your blog is to advertise your writing that I might pay for, I would be turned off to see ads not for your writing.

Otherwise, I wouldn't matter.

My opinion.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
If you have a specific writing blog as well as a personal one, then use the personal one for the ads.

thewritestuff

Registered
Reaction score
Ads are okay so long as you don't go overboard with them. If you're more concerned with making a buck than providing creative content, that is a huge turnoff for me.

Reaction score
Website
If your blog is to advertise your writing that I might pay for, I would be turned off to see ads not for your writing.

Otherwise, I wouldn't matter.

My opinion.

If you have a specific writing blog as well as a personal one, then use the personal one for the ads.

Ads are okay so long as you don't go overboard with them. If you're more concerned with making a buck than providing creative content, that is a huge turnoff for me.

How WordAd's works is at the bottom of some of the posts, not all they say no more than three ads per page there is a YouTube Video that is the Ad and you have to click play to watch it. It doesn't play automatically. Would you mind checking out my blog and the ad and telling me what your thought on it is? link is in my signature

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
You need to fix the link to you blog. I didn't see videos, just adds. Like the ones blogger has. IMHO they don't exactly blend with your blog. I personally don't use the between post ads as I think they are intrusive.

Reaction score
Website
You need to fix the link to you blog. I didn't see videos, just adds. Like the ones blogger has. IMHO they don't exactly blend with your blog. I personally don't use the between post ads as I think they are intrusive.
Thanks the link should work now. WordPress has always had ads like these on the blogs (with the option of buying an upgrade where you don't have any ads), but they didn't have them on.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Hmm. I have to say, that doesn't sound like a good deal. I use Blogger, no ads as default and if you add any it is under your own adsense account (or whatever other code you use)

I prefer to stick to ads in the sidebar or footer. Adsense or Project Wonderful. I tried a few other but the returns were low (Chikita, Comission Junction, Ebay etc). My best ad deal is direct with the retailer, they approached me presumably based on the niche of my blog.

Reaction score
Website
Hmm. I have to say, that doesn't sound like a good deal. I use Blogger, no ads as default and if you add any it is under your own adsense account (or whatever other code you use)

I prefer to stick to ads in the sidebar or footer. Adsense or Project Wonderful. I tried a few other but the returns were low (Chikita, Comission Junction, Ebay etc). My best ad deal is direct with the retailer, they approached me presumably based on the niche of my blog.
I started the blog on Blogger but found Wordpress to be much better so I switched, and haven't regretted it at all.

I would probably do that if I were to try to make a living from my blog, but it's a side thing. it's probably 3rd or 4th on my list behind college, a job, and working on the novel I'm writing. So I don't see myself making more than a buck or two or something, just maybe I'll get lucky and it'll grow some following and then i can make a few bucks.