Which editor should I approach: foreign rights or fiction?

konstruksjon

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I freelance as an editor, translator and writer here in Norway. I briefly worked in publishing a few years ago in New York, but I never encountered the situation I'm in now so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

In addition to my own freelance business I'm part of a tiny literary agency here. One of my authors put out a book that's done well in Norway and a few other countries in Europe, and we'd like to take a stab at presenting it for US publication.

Here's the (maybe) complicated part: the author had sold the book himself to the pubs in Norway and elsewhere in Europe, so the rights and all are his. Given that the system is quite different in the states than it is here, which stateside editor should I approach with the book? The foreign rights editor or the "regular" fiction editor that I think may be interested? Or, would it be best (or necessary) to get an agency onboard first, since they'll be better connected?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Celeste

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
If you have a personal connection with someone you think might be interested, start there. Explain the situation and let them tell you the next step. That's what I'd say if the question came from the author.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Is there a completed English-language translation of the book, or would you be trying to sell the rights based on a synopsis of the original?

Knowing what genre the book is in, and what its sales figures have been to date, might also be helpful for us in identifying possible avenues of approach for you.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Given that you're part of a tiny literary agency, your best bet would be to look for a literary agency in America which would agree to work with you and try to sell translation rights to all the books your agency represents, instead of you trying to sell just this one book direct to a US publisher.

You'd have the advantage of the US agency's networks and understanding of the market there. It's how most agencies deal with translation rights, so it wouldn't be difficult to set up.

konstruksjon

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

IceCream, the book has been translated to English and edited. I'm still waiting to hear back on the sales and all that stuff, once I know that I'll post here and see if anyone has any further input. It's fiction; American Psycho without the murders, and has a Camus-like atmosphere when it comes to death and frustrations with human relationships.

Thanks again,
C