How do I stop this, if possible?

Hiroko

Which of them was the machine?
Registered
Reaction score
I know the Blogger Stats page isn't always accurate, but this is ridiculous.
I'm looking at 46 hits on my blog today - an unlikely number for my little blog - most of which are from Russia. I'm almost ascertained that this is spam of some sort (maybe trying to be referrer spam, but failing, as I don't have any such links showing in the sources). Of course, the tracking sources list doesn't add up, but that's the norm. As such, I don't know where these hits are coming from outside the country listing.
I thought Google bots were supposed to pick up on this kind of traffic and stop the spam. Is there any way to avoid further spamming hits in the future?

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Visitors aren't automatically spam because they come from a different country to you. It could be you blogged about something people in Russia are searching for right now. But it doesn't really matter and isn't worth worrying over.

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
The stats from Blogger are consistently wacky. I signed up for StatCounter, which I'm inclined to trust a little better. Sometimes, their "visitor country" listings don't match up, even. It's very strange.

Domoviye

Busy, busy, busy
Registered
Reaction score
I get visitors from all over the world, probably someone, possibly a spammer, possibly not, liked what he read on your blog and used the Russian equivalent of facebook to let a few other people know.
Be happy and just make sure you don't get spam comments.

Fame<Infamy

Registered
Reaction score
One day I posted a preview to something I had written and it was crazy popular with some Brazilian blog and people there were reading it. I have no clue what they were saying but the downloads were from there and I was thankful for the traffic.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
My webcomic usually gets about 200 hits on posting days. One day it was 2000. Apparently my "stumbleupon" link for that comic was popular that day.

You can't control your hits. Just keep blogging and hope that over time the general count creeps higher.

writingismypassion

~Charity~
Registered
Reaction score
This probably goes without saying, but just in case: make sure you don't click on any of the links given when you are reviewing your stats. I've had the same problem lately. My views have more than doubled, and though I've always had views from other countries, the number of views from Russia has doubled the number from the US. And one link keeps showing up. Our of curiosity, I googled about it and found out that if a person were to click on it, the computer would be infected with a virus. I also read that it should stop eventually as long as the link isn't clicked on. Hope that helps.

mpclemens

Mad Typospherian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
clickthing.blogspot.com
Yeah, I'm getting a recent burst of Russian hits, too. Doing some searches on the "Referring Sites" URLs is informative -- they are spammer sites, nothing more. They're also generally nothing to worry about, I think. Google will eliminate them in time.

De-linking the domains here to avoid fueling the spambots: my non-reader traffic lately comes from two places

Code:
www4 <dot> strongdxgsoft <dot> com
www4 <dot> savegco-antivir <dot> com

I wouldn't click on either one without wearing a mask and gloves and having a big can of DIE SPAMMER DIE on hand.

Sunflowerrei

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleathy.com
I had a spate of Russian visitors when I first opened my blog up to public traffic. According to Blogger Help, it's referrer spam. As everyone has said, don't click on the weird links you see. I've also had hits from other random countries with zero time on my page, according to Google Analytics. I trust Analytics more than Blogger Stats on its own.