Italicizing punctuation

geekgerl

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there!

I know there are differing guidelines for manuscript formatting, but one I find particularly confusing is whether to italicize punctuation.

I've heard that punctuation following italics should also be italicized, like this (in my example I use underscores because it's easier to see):

No way, she thought. This can't be happening to me.

But for dialog, should quotation marks be italicized? For example:

"No way!" she said.

Or is the correct way:

"No way!" she said.

I've been searching the web for several days, but can't seem to find this information. I would appreciate any input or advice regarding agent/editor preferences. If most prefer that you don't italicize punctuation, what about punctuation that occurs within a block of text?

Is this correct:
No way, she thought. I can't do it. I just can't.

Or this:
No way, she thought. I can't do it. I just can't.

Thank you very much for your help. I'm working on my first manuscript and I'm hoping to avoid any newbie mistakes :)

Deleted member 42

This is the smartest sumary I've seen. Reading the CMS sections always makes my eyes cross.

http://the-word-blog.com/2009/04/28/formatting-ink-italics-punctuation/

If you're planning on trade/commeical publication, don't sweat this too much. The typesetter has special tools to make it easier -- and they publixher will have their own stylesheet.

Standardizing is good, just don't tie yourself up on knots about it.

thorjansen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thesentinelsson.blogspot.com
Yarp that, blacbird. I rarely if ever underline or italicize in my writing. Let the words speak for themselves, rather than batting a reader over the head with italics as if to say, "Hey, these words are really, really important!"

geekgerl

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies!

To give a little context, I'm a (Type A) unpublished writer who's working on the final revisions of my first novel manuscript. I've heard that bad formatting is an immediate turnoff to potential agents, especially when the submitter is unpublished.

Maybe my question is too picky to matter to agents, in which case I'll just go for consistency :)

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com

To give a little context, I'm a (Type A) unpublished writer who's working on the final revisions of my first novel manuscript. I've heard that bad formatting is an immediate turnoff to potential agents, especially when the submitter is unpublished.

Maybe my question is too picky to matter to agents, in which case I'll just go for consistency :)

In this case, bad formatting means: using Comic Sans MS, not double-spacing your MS, not numbering your pages, forgetting your intents, having extra spacing between paragraphs, having zero margins, etc. There is no agent alive who will let italicized punctuation influence their opinion of your work. Don't worry about it one bit :)

VoireyLinger

Angel Wing Fetish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.voireylinger.com
Base rule of thumb from my editor, if the whole sentence is in italics, so is the punctuation. If it's a selected word or words in the sentence, then only the characters in those words should be in italics. As a caveat, that might be house style.

Deleted member 42

Bad formatting means the ms. is hard to read.

Consistency is your friend. Checking specific editors/publisher's submissions guidelines and adjusting your format to fit is smart.

This is not a thing to agonize over.

Astronomer

I'm an excellent poofreader.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.androidastronomer.com
I know you're asking with regard to accepted style, but this can be a big deal in the digital world where formatting engines can often be confused.

Take this, for instance:
"No way!" she said.
When converting this to another format (*cough* Epub *cough*), if the end of a line happens to fall between the exclamation point and the close quotation mark, the formatting engine should pull that line break to the front of the previous word (way in this case).

But if you change from italics to standard typeface between the exclamation point and the quotation mark, then that's enough to confuse the formatting engine in to thinking the two can be separated with a line break. Consequently, you'll have lines beginning with the closing quotation marks (and other punctuation) that actually belong on the lines above.
You get:

She rose to her feet and said, "No way!
" Of course, she was being silly.

instead of:

She rose to her feet and said, "No
way!
" Of course she was being silly.

So, yeah, when submitting to an editor, just keep it consistent, and house rules will be applied.

But when publishing electronically -- especially if you're self publishing -- you'll save yourself a lot of headaches if you italicize all punctuation that touches italicized text, or touches punctuation that touches italicized text.

toomanycarbs

Registered
Reaction score
Base rule of thumb from my editor, if the whole sentence is in italics, so is the punctuation. If it's a selected word or words in the sentence, then only the characters in those words should be in italics. As a caveat, that might be house style.

this is what I had always understood

LindsayM

Registered
Reaction score

Great rule of thumb.

However, note that the quotation marks should NOT be italicized unless they are within a block of italicized text (according to most house styles).