So...this shouldn't go in a query letter...right?

JuliaH

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kazarafromtheinternet.blogspot.com
I'm about 99% convinced I'm not going to mention this in my query letter, but that 1% is nagging at me.

My second cousin was a super famous writer. This has no place in my query letter, correct?

After all, I never even knew him, he wrote in a different genre, it'll probably sound like name dropping, and being related to someone famous doesn't mean my writing's any good.

At the same time, I keep wondering that if the agent is a fan of my cousin, that maybe it'll prompt them to give my pages a shot. And there are a lot of people that go nuts over his stuff.

I guess I'm just looking for confirmation if I'm doing the right thing by leaving it out. Thoughts?

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Unless you can get your second cousin to refer you, probably not important. But from your context, it sounds like he's dead, and if he's really super famous, it is a marketing hook, so maybe mention if you can work it in properly.

Was that helpful? No, I didn't think so.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
If they ask for a bio, include it in the bio. I wouldn't include it in the query.

That said, like so many other petty details about queries, it is unlikely to make or break you either way. Your query will succeed or fail on its own merits.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
Actually, I'm going to go against the grain here. If he was a truly SUPER famous writer that the agent will at least have heard of, it could be an interesting bit of flavor to add to your (brief) bio.

Considering that an agent is reading dozens if not hundreds of queries a day, anything that makes yours stand out without making a negative impression is potentially a Good Thing™. I can't see how casually and off-handedly referring to a famous writer relative would be construed as obnoxious name-dropping.

E.g.: "JuliaH is a (job title) by day, loves (interesting hobby), and is the second cousin of (famous author), though she (insert bit of self-deprecating humor)."

P.S. I'm curious. Can you rep me your cousin's name? :D

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Most big-name agents represent big-name authors. They will absolutely NOT be impressed by meaningless name-dropping, and might even be turned off by it. A second cousin whom you've never met is no more meaningful to your query than any other big-name author you've never met.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Listen to the 1%. The agent doesn't care if your cousin can/could write. The agent only cares if you can write.

Jennifer_Laughran

knows what she's looking for when she finds it!
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
If you have the same surname and it is a famous surname, the question WILL come up, so it's fine to mention it in a self-deprecating and cute way in the bio -- as in:

"Amy Vonnegut has an MFA in literature from Cold State University and is the author of numerous poems and short stories published in the New Yorker. A CERTAIN SLICE OF LIFE is her debut novel. And yes, she's Kurt's second cousin, but she's pretty sure he won't be able to blurb her book."

or

"Jenny Hemingway spends her days as a professional topless dolphin wrangler in Key West, which has given her plenty of material for the sexy aquatic murder mysteries she pens by night. She's not so sure that Cousin Ernest would approve."

If not don't bother.

writersMAMA

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
name dropping

I would if:
1. you're pitching to your cousin's lit agency, mention his name
2. if you write a query 'creatively' enough, you can slip it--
Example:
Your last graf:
Include pertinent writing credits plus something like this:
I like to think my story telling comes naturally. My cousin, Blank, was/is a huge influence....

It's so tough out here to get attention-when you have this kind of cache, I'd use it.
Hope this helps.
Marla
www.MarlaMiller.com
Subscribe for ONE FREE quick query critique

Last edited:

writersMAMA

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Just saying:
If people think agents are only interested in talent, they haven't hung around this industry long enough----
It's who you know as much as anything else---otherwise, we wouldn't have SCADS of mediocre to poor reading books out here....
Marla Miller
www.MarlaMiller.com

headwax

Artist and Illustrator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
andrewfinnieportfolio.blogspot.com
Everyone knows that being a good writer is 99 percent genetic, 1 percent hard work. :)

Just kidding.

Fiction writers are in the business of telling lies.

You can always work in the 'fact' that your first love of writing came when your relative sat you down one afternoon and told you their three most important secrets of writing success...

Who will know?

:)

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Just saying:
If people think agents are only interested in talent, they haven't hung around this industry long enough----

You might want to scroll back up to post #9 and read what an actual agent said.

It's who you know as much as anything else---

You might want to scroll back up to post #1 and read where the OP said she never actually knew her famous second cousin.

The 'who you know' thing doesn't mean name-dropping of people you don't know; the 'who you know' thing is about how someone you actually know can help you make connections with people they actually know. Like when a big-name author friend of mine recommended me to her agent. That's a 'who you know' situation. Having a blood relative who's now dead and whom you didn't know isn't.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If people think agents are only interested in talent, they haven't hung around this industry long enough

Is thirty years of "hanging around this industry" enough? Because I've worked almost thirty years in publishing, and the agents I know are all on the lookout for talent, first and foremost.

You might want to scroll back up to post #9 and read what an actual agent said.

Excellent idea. I'll quote that now, just so everyone's clear.

If you have the same surname and it is a famous surname, the question WILL come up, so it's fine to mention it in a self-deprecating and cute way in the bio -- as in:

"Amy Vonnegut has an MFA in literature from Cold State University and is the author of numerous poems and short stories published in the New Yorker. A CERTAIN SLICE OF LIFE is her debut novel. And yes, she's Kurt's second cousin, but she's pretty sure he won't be able to blurb her book."

or

"Jenny Hemingway spends her days as a professional topless dolphin wrangler in Key West, which has given her plenty of material for the sexy aquatic murder mysteries she pens by night. She's not so sure that Cousin Ernest would approve."

If not don't bother.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I'd listen to the agents in this thread and take their advice.

Yes. This +1

The 'who you know' thing doesn't mean name-dropping of people you don't know; the 'who you know' thing is about how someone you actually know can help you make connections with people they actually know. Like when a big-name author friend of mine recommended me to her agent. That's a 'who you know' situation. Having a blood relative who's now dead and whom you didn't know isn't.

This is my take on it too.

Sadly though, sometimes 'who you know' can net a mediocre writer a deal that they woulnd't have gotten otherwise.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Just saying:
It's who you know as much as anything else---otherwise, we wouldn't have SCADS of mediocre to poor reading books out here....
Marla Miller
www.MarlaMiller.com

Who you know won't get you two inches. You may think the books out there are poor reading, but if so, you've never been within a mile of a slush pile, and you have vastly different taste in reading that the public at large.

Agents and editors take the best they can get, but they can't take what no one submits. If you want "better" books out there, it's simple. . .write a better book. If you can do this, you'll soon be rich and famous, and it won't be because of who you know.

If you can't do it, you won't get published, even if you know every famous writer, every editor, every agent, and if the Pope regularly visits you for Sunday dinner.

Who you know doesn't even make sense. All you have to do is spend a few minutes looking at how all the famous writers out there got published. Darned few of them knew anyone at all in the industry, or anyone famous in any way, when they started selling novels.

They simply had the ability to write books a lot of people wanted to read.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I'd make a list of all the authors I know who without any kind of connection got an agent (and subsequent book deal). I'd be top of that list. But see, making such a list would be so time consuming as practically every author I know would be on it (and for the record, I know a lot of authors) that I just can't afford to spend the time.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Just saying:
Marla Miller
www.MarlaMiller.com

Marla,

I hope this post is tongue in cheek and that you don't really mean it. ;)

If what you say were true, than anybody could get published by dropping the names of people they know. I could send a horrible query letter to an agent but mention that I know some well-known authors (which is true), as well as so many great authors here at AW (it doesn't matter that we have not actually met, but that I interact with them often), and said agent will be impressed and immediately pick up my book.

There may be poorly written books out there, but they are what people want to read. Otherwise, they would not sell.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
Just saying:
Marla Miller
www.MarlaMiller.com
Marla, with respect, I couldn't disagree more. I work with many agents, and I can attest that the ONLY thing they're looking for is talent - as much as I am. I've had plenty "names" query me who couldn't write their way out of a paper bag, and I had no choice but to reject them.

Who you know *may* get you read, but it most certainly will not get you a contract, and I think it's harsh to suggest otherwise.

JuliaH

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kazarafromtheinternet.blogspot.com
Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I won't mention my cousin in my query.

Just to be clear, I absolutely did not want to imply that having a famous dead relative is necessary for getting a book deal. I've read too many encouraging stories (especially here on AW) about writers getting deals with no connections or previous publications to believe that.

I mostly just posted this to make myself feel more confident about leaving it out, and now I do! Thanks again!

efultz

Registered
Reaction score
Not that I had any doubt, but now I especially won't mention my relation to Johann Wyss. Unless, of course, I start using my mother's maiden name...

Julia - I have had the same thoughts about standing out to agents. To QLH I go!

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
I'd make a list of all the authors I know who without any kind of connection got an agent (and subsequent book deal). I'd be top of that list. But see, making such a list would be so time consuming as practically every author I know would be on it (and for the record, I know a lot of authors) that I just can't afford to spend the time.

Same here. Hell, my Twitter feed alone would probably give me a list of 50 to start.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
I'm about 99% convinced I'm not going to mention this in my query letter, but that 1% is nagging at me.

My second cousin was a super famous writer. This has no place in my query letter, correct?

After all, I never even knew him, he wrote in a different genre, it'll probably sound like name dropping, and being related to someone famous doesn't mean my writing's any good.

At the same time, I keep wondering that if the agent is a fan of my cousin, that maybe it'll prompt them to give my pages a shot. And there are a lot of people that go nuts over his stuff.

I guess I'm just looking for confirmation if I'm doing the right thing by leaving it out. Thoughts?

ask yourself 2 questions:

1. what could it possibly help?

2. What could it hurt?

For #1, i see nothing. For #2, I see it marking you as new, desperate, and perhaps a bit dishonest. The net would seem pretty strongly against it then--he didn't write, proof, etc., so all you stand to do it look like someone desperately trying to ride coattails.