Word count

Amberly

Registered
Reaction score
Website
caswebb.wordpress.com
Hi guys,

I'm working through the edits of a YA urban fantasy that doesn't want to budge off the 50k mark, from memory YA should sit at about 80k but I'm worried that if I try to cram in another 30k I will be doing the story more harm than good.

Should I find those extra words before submitting the work?

Or

Is it best to submit the 50k piece all shinny and polished and add more chapters etc on the editors advice - if the editor thinks the work needs something added?

How much does the word count effect first impressions?

Thanks for your time, every bit of advice is appreciated.

Cheers

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure others will chime in, but I believe that 50k is an okay length for YA. Might be a bit on the short side, but not unreasonable.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Yep. 50K is acceptable for YA. Padding a story with fluff will only increase the chances of rejection. If you do think of a subplot to add, you can try it out, but don't sweat it if you can't.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
When I was a kid YA/ teen books were only about 25k long.

These days anything between 40 and 80k is standard, with exceptions of course - there are ya books I've seen at 150k, but these are exceptions.

50k is solidly in the middle of the normal range. don't worry about it.

vrflash

Registered
Reaction score
Lisa McMann's Wake was under 50k and it became a NY Times bestseller.

JinxVelox

Registered
Reaction score
It might slip into the novella category, depending on the publisher. If you feel that the story is complete, I don't think you should force more words just for the sake of word count. Go with your instinct. ^.^

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
It might slip into the novella category, depending on the publisher. If you feel that the story is complete, I don't think you should force more words just for the sake of word count. Go with your instinct. ^.^

The OP said the book is YA, and 50K isn't a novella for YA purposes. There isn't a market for YA novellas; there IS a market for YA novels of 50K words.

JinxVelox

Registered
Reaction score
The OP said the book is YA, and 50K isn't a novella for YA purposes. There isn't a market for YA novellas; there IS a market for YA novels of 50K words.

I had read that, but did not realize that YA did not encompass novellas. Thanks for the info - it's always good to learn something new everyday. ^.^

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I had read that, but did not realize that YA did not encompass novellas. Thanks for the info - it's always good to learn something new everyday. ^.^

YA and MG books are usually shorter than adult books, and so the 'novella' title doesn't really apply to them