Sentence help

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Cannot get this to sound correct. The voice is important, so don't flip it around too much, please.

This is what I currently have:
It was forty-eight hours since I had a chance to really clean the house

but it could be:
It had been forty-eight hours since I'd had a chance to really clean the house
or a combination:
It was forty-eight hours since I'd had a chance to really clean the house

I don't think ANY of them feel right at this point! Please help!

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
My vote:

It had been forty-eight hours since I'd had a chance to really clean the house.

The unity of tenses makes me a bit happier. They all seem okay to me, though.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Amy,

I'm not saying sentences can't begin with variations of it is and there are, but does this stronger subject mess too much with the voice you have in mind?

Forty-eight hours crawled past since I had a chance to really clean the house.

Flew past? Whichever.

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
The house hadn't been thoroughly cleaned for months. I had better things to do with my time. But I usually managed to keep passages open, until these past two days, when the pizza boxes crashed down and trapped mein the back room. I had no choice but to pry open the back window and throw things out.

allz28

No Stranger To Rejection
Registered
Reaction score
I know you're trying to maintain voice, but I think all those sentences would sound better if you delete "really." That word adds nothing.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I think your basic problem is the word "really". It's a vague adverb at best, in that context. I'd recommend:

It had been forty-eight hours since I'd had a chance to clean the house thoroughly.

In this instance, I do prefer the "had been" past perfect construction, rather than the simple past "was".

caw

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I think your basic problem is the word "really". It's a vague adverb at best, in that context. I'd recommend:

It had been forty-eight hours since I'd had a chance to clean the house thoroughly.

In this instance, I do prefer the "had been" past perfect construction, rather than the simple past "was".

caw
Mostly, style is a matter of opinion and taste, but on this one BB is objectively correct.

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
I don't think ANY of them feel right at this point! Please help!
I don't think your problem here is with what's 'right' (though I appreciate this is the Grammar and Syntax forum). They're all dull to read. Do whatever you need to to maintain the voice, but two days without a chance to clean, what did the place look / smell like? A few carefully chosen words might work wonders here to lift the prose. Doesn't need to be fancy, just effective.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I agree with both tense and getting rid of the really. If I had to choose from the three sentences, it would be number two. I don't want to make any suggestions, as you said you are trying to maintain voice.

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Chase, I do like the restructuring you used, but it won't fit with the rest of the paragraph. :(

THANK YOU blacbird for the suggestion about thoroughly. I absolutely needed a modifier here. This is an urban fantasy, and the character's nature is one which makes her hyper about domestic tasks. It soothes her to multi-task and tidy up, and during the past two days the climax of the book have taken place. She's done an average job with homemaking, but this is a bit of grounding going on.

The sentence seems dull, but it is a vital part of the final portion and I do need it. thoroughly is much better than really! I can't drop it because the reader will know it's not true.

Trust me, the whole para isn't about this, nor is the book. :p

Snick, thanks for the suggestion, but that would be totally out of character for her. Same with focusing on how the house smelled or felt. Most of this scene focuses on how she feels, the suds dripping through her hands and the sounds of water in the sink mingled with echoes coming through the walls of her kids in the next room. It's about an emotional settling in rather than a smelly house.

Thanks to all, I truly appreciate it!

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
My two cents worth.

Two days went by before I really got the chance to clean the house.

Kenn

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I think the first 'had' depends on whether you are referring back to that time in the text. If it was real time (in the past) then 'was' seems correct to me. In this case, I don't think the second had is necessary (so I would go for sentence one).
Using 'really' makes it a split infinitive, which many regard as the eighth cardinal sin. Of course, it could be said in voice but if it is, why worry about getting the others right?

PS Your house must be cleaner than mine if it gets really cleaned every couple of days;)

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
PS Your house must be cleaner than mine if it gets really cleaned every couple of days;)

I think this character has the cleanest house on the planet. If her tendency to obsessively scrub, dust, and reorganize didn't have it's dark side, I'd be jealous.

My house has three boys under five, three cats, and a lazy, long-haired dog. It's quite foul.

Amy thinking: clean or write, clean or write, clean or write? Which do you think I pick?