Anyone Familiar With This Word/Phrase?

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I was reading a kids' book from the forties, and someone on a trip packs a "double rule of molasses cookies she baked for them."

At first I thought it was something like an amount or portion, but I can't find it anywhere. Then I thought maybe it means two lines (rules) of cookies.

But later, someone gets sick because they ate the entire double rule of cookies that was sent to them.

A colloquialism? Any ideas?

absitinvidia

A bit of a wallflower
Registered
Reaction score
I was reading a kids' book from the forties, and someone on a trip packs a "double rule of molasses cookies she baked for them."

At first I thought it was something like an amount or portion, but I can't find it anywhere. Then I thought maybe it means two lines (rules) of cookies.

But later, someone gets sick because they ate the entire double rule of cookies that was sent to them.

Could it mean a double recipe/batch? So if the recipe yields, say, 25 cookies, she doubled it?

Deleted member 42

I've got a pretty decent corpus for linguistic context data, and it goes back to the early 1800s.

I can't find a usage of the sort you mean in either my UK or U.S. corpora.

Nor can I find an instance in any of my dictionaries--including slang dictionaries, and the OED.

I suspect it's an authorial idiosyncrasy, derived from the use of "double rule" in terms of accounting and typesetting; two straight lines, fairly close together, of the same length.

So, like your hypothesis, two "rows" of cookies.

It's a very odd thing to write though--you have no real idea of quantity since you don't know the length of the rows, just that there are two of them.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I suspect it's an authorial idiosyncrasy, derived from the use of "double rule" in terms of accounting and typesetting; two straight lines, fairly close together, of the same length.
Well, if you can't find it, it probably doesn't exist. Authorial idiosyncrasy -- I like that.

But I also like the "batch" hypothesis -- this writer had a series and used the term in other books, I now remember. Maybe it was a quirk term his grandmother used or something.

jimbro

Registered
Reaction score
Could it mean a double recipe/batch? So if the recipe yields, say, 25 cookies, she doubled it?

Yes. Exactly this when applied to a cooking recipe.

Authority: My German Grandmother in Illinois, by way of my mom.

Lyra

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kimfarnell.co.uk
Last edited:

bonitakale

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bkedits.com
Here are some lines from Della Lutes's books about her 19th Century Michigan childhood, written in the 1930's:

"Unfortunately, I can find no record of her exact rule..."
"A rule guaranteed by one who in her youth knew my Aunt Martha..."
(both from Home Grown)

"I guess we all know about your sour-cream cookies, Miz' Thompson. I wisht you'd give me the rule for 'em."
(from The Country Kitchen)

In every place, "rule" means "recipe," so I would guess that the "double batch" people are right.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Yes. Exactly this when applied to a cooking recipe.
Authority: My German Grandmother in Illinois, by way of my mom.

bonitakale said:
"I guess we all know about your sour-cream cookies, Miz' Thompson. I wisht you'd give me the rule for 'em."

In every place, "rule" means "recipe," so I would guess that the "double batch" people are right.
It's amazing how one can get answers here when all else fails.

Deleted member 42

Here are some lines from Della Lutes's books about her 19th Century Michigan childhood, written in the 1930's:

"Unfortunately, I can find no record of her exact rule..."
"A rule guaranteed by one who in her youth knew my Aunt Martha..."
(both from Home Grown)

Ha!

You lot are friggin' brilliant. Rule for "recipe; receipt" is a dialect marker for west of the Mississippi, and--this part confuses me, though I admit my geography is weak--the Ozarks?

That seems well, odd, to me. That's two very separate regions.

bonitakale

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bkedits.com
Ha!

You lot are friggin' brilliant. Rule for "recipe; receipt" is a dialect marker for west of the Mississippi, and--this part confuses me, though I admit my geography is weak--the Ozarks?

That seems well, odd, to me. That's two very separate regions.

Well, Michigan is east of the Mississippi, and that's where Della Lutes grew up. Sounds more generally 'country' and/or 'old-fashioned' to me.