Getting Jobs and Social Networking

Domoviye

Busy, busy, busy
Registered
Reaction score
I was commenting on this thread about freelancing outside of the United States and mentioned that blogs, face book and twitter were useful for finding jobs. A few others said that they weren't very useful.
I've read lots of articles talking about how these social networks can be useful, but until recently couldn't use any of them and I'm still blocked from several. So my actual experience with blogs is limited to the last week.
What are peoples experiences with getting jobs or the lack thereof and social networks?

P.S. I tried using search to make sure it hasn't been done before, but its not being friendly right now.

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
I've never gotten a freelance job from social networks or blogging. I'm not saying it's impossible, but in order to get a job freelancing, those businesses need to be able to reach you. So if for example, your profile on Facebook is private, they'll never find you.

I honestly don't think taking the sit and wait approach is a good idea. There are plenty of markets out there right now, open to new applications. I've been working for a few freelancing sites since September and I know they never would have reached out to me and I'd still have no work if I hadn't gone looking myself.

Domoviye

Busy, busy, busy
Registered
Reaction score
Oh don't worry I wasn't recommending sitting still, just putting a fair bit of attention on social networking. I'm now reconsidering.
Thanks for the response.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Social networking is important to platform building, which, as a freelancer, is not something that you will probably find important unless you (for example) have a medical degree and are trying to build a platform as a medical writer. In which case you would not have a "writers web site" or blog, you will have a MEDICAL site and blog that covers much of the same material that you will write about for pay.

As I said, I have a website as an online calling card/portfolio to which I can direct people I contact directly for work ("And if you would like samples of my work, please see my website here...") and I blog about writing in part to show editors that I know what I'm talking about, but I've given up on social networking as a generalist freelancer. There was never any point I could see.

KathrynLang

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.SnarkyRainbows.com
I have been approached by a couple of clients because of my websites and have made connections through Twitter. It is possible, but the bulk of my writing gigs come through existing clients introducing me to new clients (word of mouth) or applying through different job sites.