He'd had no choice, had he?

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Take out the contradiction, sounds pretty stupid, yet it's common vernacular, or is it?

He had had no choice had he?

There's a whole bunch of sentence that have double words like this, is it best just to rewrite them?

thanks!

Blue236

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it is probably better. Maybe figure out an action word to use instead of had.

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
it's internal dialog

My character is thinking about what he did, so your example, although a good one, doesn't quite work. Sorry for leaving that out.

He thought, he hadn't any choice, had he?
He though he hadn't any choice, did he?

While there are places where a doubling of "had" is necessary, that isn't common in the vernacular, and I don't think it is appropriate in your example. Most people would say: "He hadn't any choice, did he?"

I can't think of a good example right now, but the double "had" is often fine, but it is best tochange the third possible use to something else.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Take out the contradiction, sounds pretty stupid, yet it's common vernacular, or is it?

He had had no choice had he?

There's a whole bunch of sentence that have double words like this, is it best just to rewrite them?

thanks!

It doesn't sound any better with the contraction. It sure isn't common vernacular with people I know. That isn't just a double word, which is bad enough, but a third "had" is thrown in, and that takes it beyond the pale.

Even "he thought" is almost always unnecessary. Readers know when a characfter is thinking in narrative. But even if you do use "he thought", then what's wrong with "He thought he had no choice"? Or "He believed he had no choice"?

Not even past actions need a double "had".

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Whenever I stumble across a sentence of my own where I stop and say, is this correct? I find a different way to say it. This sentence is a good example of such.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
He asked himself if this had been his only choice.

absitinvidia

A bit of a wallflower
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the pluperfect of "have a choice" is "had had a choice," just as the pluperfect of "have to go" is "had had to go" and the past tense of "had five dollars in his pocket" is "had had five dollars in his pocket."

"He hadn't had a choice" is the correct, if clunky, form.

As others have suggested, you can try to find another way to express the same concept, but if it truly has to be in the pluperfect, then you really don't have a choice sometimes: you're going to have "had had."