Sentence Construction/Verb Conjugation?

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a little shaky on the verb conjugation in this sentence(I really hope that is spelled right):

[FONT=&quot]He was leaned up against the wall of the building on his cell phone, the red rope dangling from his right hand as surges of kids strode past him into the club.[/FONT]

Word wanted to say it was cleaned (which makes no sense) so it made me feel like maybe something was wrong with the sentence construction or something. It would probably be simpler to he was leaning, huh?

I'm not a guru of grammar so I'm always nervous on whether everything's written perfectly.

Thanks guys!

bonitakale

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bkedits.com
He was leaning.

Or he had leaned. Or he leaned.

You can say, "He was crumpled against the wall," but not, "He was leaned against the wall." "Leaned" doesn't become an adjective that way, at least, not when applying to the person who does the leaning. ("The picture had been leaned against the wall,"would be okay.)

Dandroid

Registered
Reaction score
unless, of course, you had intended to say that people had leaned him against a wall of a building that had been built on his cell phone...tee hee

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a little shaky on the verb conjugation in this sentence(I really hope that is spelled right):

[FONT=&quot]He was leaned up against the wall of the building on his cell phone, the red rope dangling from his right hand as surges of kids strode past him into the club.[/FONT]

Word wanted to say it was cleaned (which makes no sense) so it made me feel like maybe something was wrong with the sentence construction or something. It would probably be simpler to he was leaning, huh?

I'm not a guru of grammar so I'm always nervous on whether everything's written perfectly.

Thanks guys!

He was leaned against the wall of the building, using his cell phone, the red rope dangling from his right hand as surges of kids strode past him into teh club.

Or, He was leaning against the wall of the building, using his cell phone, the red rope dangling from his right hand as surges of kids strode past him into teh club.

PeterL

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
He was leaned would be fine, if he had been petrified and someone took him and leaned him there; but if he walked to the side of the building and leaned there, then the "was" does not belong.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Or
Leaning against the wall on his cell phone, the red rope dangled from his right hand as surges of kids entered the club.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com

He was leaned up against the wall of the building on his cell phone, the red rope dangling from his right hand as surges of kids strode past him into the club.

I have not read any other the other responses, but here's my thoughts on your sentence.

First of all, I don't think you need the was. Second, it also sounds like the cell phone is on the building. Finally, surges and strode basically say the same thing, as they are both verbs. Surge can be a noun, such as a wave of motion, but it still describes movement. Thus, you have two movement words (surge and strode) very close together.

I would like to offer something like this:

He leaned against the wall of the building, his cell phone up to his ear. The red rope dangled from his right hand as a group of kids strode past him into the club.

Dr.Gonzo

Wonderfully Irreverent
Registered
Reaction score
It'd work if he was dead and stiff and some undertaker had leaned him against the wall and then gone on his lunch break. otherwise, leaning, or he leaned.

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah unfortunately he's not unconscious.

So "he was leaning against the building" works?