View Full Version : What comes next?
04-22-2010, 03:20 AM
Hmmmm.... I've sent out tons of queries and looked for an agent -and then one falls in my lap totally unexpected! I was contacted via Twitter by Jason Ashlock of Movable Type and then met with him yesterday in Manhattan. Although he hasn't formally offered to represent me, I think he is certainly interested and it would be a go if I wanted.
So, what comes next? I've reserached Jason and all reports are good. He represented a friend of mine and my friend had nothing but positives to say. If I sign with him, then what? We are still traveling, so I can't commmit to anything on a certain timeline. I can work on it while we're in hotels and such, but it'll be iffy. Jason knows all that, but still I"m worried that I might be pressured. What do you think? Sign now or wait until we reach Tierra del Fuego in 10 or 11 months?
04-22-2010, 03:25 AM
If you're not sure you can commit and want to sign for maybe another 10 months, why did you already send out queries and began to look for an agent?
04-22-2010, 04:13 AM
That's a good question. I just though maybe I would put out feelers - which totally fell through. But then this guy found me. I do think the timing of this is probably perfect - he can sell the book now before we finish the trip and all. I suppose this is the normal heebie jeebies...
04-22-2010, 05:29 AM
I say wait and see how things go. You're still cycling around. He has to be aware that limits your time a bit. ;) Congrats on having an agent find you!
04-22-2010, 07:47 AM
The problem with waiting is.... will he still be interested in a year? I dunno - I think I'll probably go for it. He knows we are still on the road and he knows I won't have tons of time. I can do a lot now as we take a LOT of days and weeks off. But wow - it's pretty exciting to have a good agent approach me rather than the other way around!
04-22-2010, 08:09 AM
Wow. An agent actually came after you. That's impressive. As long as he knows your restrictions and you feel it's the right thing to do, go for it.
04-22-2010, 05:41 PM
You say he knows about your situation. Tell him outright you don't want to be pressured to produce until after the trip. If he says he understands, and you trust him enough to want him as your agent in the first place, sign now.
04-22-2010, 08:21 PM
I do think the timing of this is probably perfect - he can sell the book now before we finish the trip and all. I suppose this is the normal heebie jeebies...
I had something similiar just happen in the sense of being like I can't, I just can't squash in everything I would need to do. It would mean such a sacrifice, and I'm overwhelmed and terrified and all these opportunities opened up at once...
and my good friend called and said, tough crap. :) Get over it. Opportunities don't just sit there waiting for you to have the time. And for some reason, when they do pop up, they tend to pop up all at once, and you are completely inundated.
But you grab them anyway and channel your inner warrior woman and you do what you've got to do to make your dreams come true. Because the universe believes this is the opportunity's perfect time. So suck it up and make your dreams come true already.
It's not necessarily the right advice for everyone. But it was good advice for me. I decided that sometimes the universe does that-throws everything in your path at once, and if you pass it up for your perfect time, well... so I went for it. Aack. I'm tired, though.
My point-figure out what right for you, even if it gives you the heebie jeebies, that's all.
And congratulations, whatever you decide. :)
vBulletin® v3.8.5, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.