PDA

View Full Version : What novels have you reread?

dawinsor
11-04-2009, 12:14 AM
It seems to me that the stronger a novel is, the better it stands up to rereading. But perhaps certain kinds of strengths are more rereadable than others. For instance, maybe strong characters give more pleasure the second time than strong plots do because you already know how things turn out.

What books have you reread with pleasure? What made them good the second time?

Adam
11-04-2009, 12:24 AM
I've read Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels a bunch of times. The world, the characters and the humour bring me back again and again. :)

dawinsor
11-04-2009, 12:29 AM
Humor! Yeah. That's a big draw for me.

Also, I was thinking about this, and I think that trying to write has me appreciate some craft elements more. I write YA fantasy, and I recently reread Megan Whalen Turner's The Thief, and there's a big reveal at the end of that book. The second time through I, of course, wasn't surprised by the reveal, but I was astonished at how many clues she'd left lying around that I read right over the first time. It was fascinating to see how she played fair and revealed without revealing.

Also the voice of the MC is amusing and interesting.

TrickyFiction
11-04-2009, 12:32 AM
I reread Phantom of the Opera, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Howl's Moving Castle and Peter Pan. My husband has been through The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy too many times to count and even recites Vogon poetry when he's had one too many.

Characters are the most important things to me, although Peter Pan was all about the language. H2G2, for my husband, was all about the narrative; the voice of the author was the character he loved best.

I'm in the middle of the Artemis Fowl series right now, and I know I'll reread it, especially when I have children. I love all the MCs, and the narrative is light and delicious.

dawinsor
11-04-2009, 12:34 AM
OMG, Artemis Fowl. The books that taught me I could enjoy a good fart joke.

Jamesaritchie
11-04-2009, 01:44 AM
I couldn't begin to list them. I read every novel I enjoy at least twice. Some I've read a dozen or more times, and I've read four or five at least twenty times.

Perks
11-04-2009, 02:12 AM
I have to say that reread novels almost always hold up better than rewatched films. I like that.

That said, there aren't too many that I've reread just because how leisurely I read. If I reread my favorites, I'd never have time to read anything new. I've been known to do it, just not all that often.

scarletpeaches
11-04-2009, 02:20 AM
Gone with the Wind - Margaret Mitchell
Forever Amber - Kathleen Winsor

Many, many others, but those are the ones I've read the most times.

sheadakota
11-04-2009, 02:28 AM
TLOTR- too many times to count- i get something new everytime I read it.

Lady of the Forest- Jennifer Roberson- LURVS that book!

There are others but these are the two that stand out.

Shadow_Ferret
11-04-2009, 02:29 AM
I'm generally a slow reader, plus I have attention issues. Trying to reread something I already read, knowing how it ends, is a struggle for me to focus. And if I'm rereading something, because I do read slow, I feel like I'm losing time that I could spend on something new.

That said, I have reread "Tropic of Cancer" by Henry Miller. I've reread all the Robert E. Howard "Conan" stories, and will probably read them again. The first book in the pulp "The Shadow" series, and I'm starting to reread the first book in the "Doc Savage" series. And every December I reread Dickens' "A Christmas Carol." I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of them now.

willietheshakes
11-04-2009, 02:29 AM
Little, Big - John Crowley
The World According to Garp - John Irving

Sage
11-04-2009, 02:35 AM
When I was a teen, I reread pretty much everything in between new books.

Nowadays, I don't reread as much unless I'm trying to recapture some of the magic of those teen books (like finding one for the first time in years and wanting to see what I loved about it again)

Fredster
11-04-2009, 05:40 PM
I like to return to my favorites every few years. I'm right in the middle of a re-reading kick right now. Just finished Silence of the Lambs, Darkfall, Boy's Life, and Watchers. Currently slogging through Firestarter, with The Dead Zone and To Kill a Mockingbird on the horizon.

I've read The Stand and It three times each. Love those books. This was also my fourth time to read Watchers.

half.jaded
11-04-2009, 05:48 PM
The Lies of Locke Lamora, definitely read that at least thrice. Or maybe four times, actually.

Maximum Ride - sort of.

Artemis Fowl - the first book. Read it twice or thrice.

KTC
11-04-2009, 05:51 PM
i couldn't possibly list them here. dozens and dozens. some i re-read every year are: Great Expectations, The Feast of All Saints, The Great Gatsby, A Confederacy of Dunces, Too Loud a Solitude, Franny & Zooey and A Separate Peace. I am ALWAYS re-reading books.

Phaeal
11-04-2009, 05:53 PM
Watchers is my favorite Koontz. God, it's scary, but with sweet ending that stops short of too-sweet.

I reread every book I love. Some at least once a year. Right now I'm rereading Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. And Olivia Goldsmith's The Bestseller: Total writer's fairy tale.

I like to read new books along with the old books. Just finished Something Missing. Starting Keyes's This Charming Man. It all intermeshes somehow. ;)

Ken
11-04-2009, 06:08 PM
... am always rereading books, because I can't afford to buy new ones.

Jamesaritchie
11-04-2009, 06:09 PM
i couldn't possibly list them here. dozens and dozens. some i re-read every year are: Great Expectations, The Feast of All Saints, The Great Gatsby, A Confederacy of Dunces, Too Loud a Solitude, Franny & Zooey and A Separate Peace. I am ALWAYS re-reading books.

A Separate Peace is one of those novels that I think you have to read more than once, or you haven't really read it at all, if you know what I mean. For me, there's something new with each reading.

JimmyB27
11-04-2009, 06:21 PM
I couldn't begin to list them. I read every novel I enjoy at least twice. Some I've read a dozen or more times, and I've read four or five at least twenty times.
Me too. Among the most re-read though are the aforementioned Pratchetts, Dune, Iain Banks's Culture novels (especially Excession, brilliant book).

James81
11-04-2009, 06:44 PM
A Separate Peace by John Knowles
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'engle (although it's been a LOOOONG time :tongue)
Hearts in Atlantis by Stephen King
A Million Little Pieces by James Frey
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Those are all I can think of at the moment. My list is short cause there's too much new stuff out there for me to read to spend much time re-reading books.

Stuff I WANT to re-read:

I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb
She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb
Cider House Rules by John Irving
A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving

brainstorm77
11-04-2009, 06:56 PM
The Shining, Salem's Lot, Misery...

ClaudiaGray
11-04-2009, 07:32 PM
I couldn't even start counting. Basically, if I've really enjoyed a book, I'm almost certain to read it more than once.

Richard White
11-04-2009, 08:16 PM
If a book is in my library at home, then I've re-read it multiple times.

Otherwise, it's a credit down at the local used book store. *grin*

I think I've got a couple hundred books in my library. I don't re-read them "every year", but every so often I'll grab one (or a series) off the shelf to go through again, especially when I'm hitting a slow spot in my own writing to see how an author handled a situation I'm having issues handling.

Wayne K
11-04-2009, 08:21 PM
1 or 2

MIllion.

Wicked
11-04-2009, 09:19 PM
"The Crystal Shard" - R. A. Salvatore

"Waylander" - David Gemmel

"Stormblade" - Nancy varian Beberick

Non fiction- "The Man-Eating Leopard of Rudraprayag" by Jim Corbett (actually, all of his man-eater books)

If comics count- The Elfquest series
Over, and over, and . . .

Children's books -

"Sir Toby Jingles Beastly Journey" by Wallace Tripp
&
"How Many Dragons Are Behind the Door" by Virginia Kahl
I had them when I was a kid, and read them to my kids. :)

motormind
11-04-2009, 09:26 PM
I'm rereading all the novels in English that I first read in translation.

Samantha's_Song
11-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Novels I've reread, just for the pleasure:

All five within the Flowers in the attic by Virginia Andrews. I don't particularly like Virginia Andrews writing, My sweet Audrina turned me off forever and all of her characters are too perfect, but I do like the story within the FITA novels.

Interview with the vampire by Anne Rice. Again, I like the actual story.

The holy blood and the holy grail by Henry Lincoln, Michael Baigent etc . This is my most favourite book, ever. I read it when it first came out, at the end of the 1970's, and again in the 1990's.

Lady Ice
11-04-2009, 09:52 PM
It seems to me that the stronger a novel is, the better it stands up to rereading. But perhaps certain kinds of strengths are more rereadable than others. For instance, maybe strong characters give more pleasure the second time than strong plots do because you already know how things turn out.

I'm reading Vanity Fair for the 2nd time. Reading books when you're older makes you seem them in a whole new light. I've read Lolita and The Great Gatsby three times each- they are wonderful puzzles and amazing prose.

I would say themes and complex characters are what prompts re-reads, along with watching a film of it.

WKolodzieski
11-04-2009, 10:17 PM
Salems' Lot and Bag of Bones by Stephen King. Bones was the first King novel I ever read (probably around 12 or 13 at the time) and then I went on a huge kick with him over the years, reading everything he had ever written. I recently finished rereading Bag of Bones this past summer and each and every time I read it, the book just becomes even more amazing. I truly think his talents as a writer are top-notch in this novel.

I've also read American Psycho and Less Than Zero (both Bret Easton Ellis) a few times. Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk I've read a half-dozen or so times - surprisingly four times it was for school.

For some odd reason I prefer to reread certain novels other than something new. I'm old-school, I suppose....

ChrisKelly331
11-04-2009, 10:39 PM
Hmm, Interview With The Vampire (Anne Rice) Sunshine (Robin Mckinley) & White Oleander (Janet Fitch) more times then I can count.

kangolNcurlz
11-04-2009, 10:45 PM
A few R.L. Stine books when I was teen. Can't remember the author, but Sleepers when the movie was released. I think The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum, though I can't remember. Well, I know I want to read it again. Twilight is on my reread list. Anything else, I can't remember.

Freelancer
11-05-2009, 12:26 AM
Harry Harrison - Stainless Steel Rat and Deathworld trilogy. I read them multiple times. These two are my favorites.

C.S. Forester - Horatio Hornblower Series (My next favorite)
Iain M. Banks - Consider Phlebas and the other books from the same world
Frank Herbert - Dune
Alistair MacLean - H.M.S. Ulysses
Bill McKay - Stargate Series

And there are few others, such as Keith DeCandido - StarCraft Ghost: Nova and the other books of the StarCraft series.

Pink Chick
11-05-2009, 12:51 AM
All Jane Austen's numerous times
"Jane Eyre"
"The Scarlet Pimpernel"
"The Sun Also Rises"
and many other guilty pleasures I won't admit to here...

I'm a re-reader. And I'm a high-lighter. My books look like rainbows inside.

LadyLucyLuck
11-05-2009, 02:57 AM
I reread Gone With the Wind every couple of years. Also, childhood favorite: Ella Enchanted. I've probably read it ten times at minimum.

Tristhan
11-05-2009, 04:14 AM
I re-read novels constantly (even the bad ones), but I think the first one I can remember reading multiple times (like 6 or 7 times in a year) was Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land. That was in Elementary School. BIG library fines on that one.

ccarver30
11-05-2009, 04:45 AM
I cannot reread novels.

OliviaMagdelene
11-05-2009, 05:17 AM
The Great and Secret Show by Clive Barker
American Gods by Neil Gaiman.
Dark Rivers of the Heart, Phantoms & Midnight by Dean Koontz.
Anything in the In Death series by J.d. Robb.
The Born In Trilogy, the Dream Trilogy and the Chesapeake Bay Series by Nora Roberts.
Most books by Stephen King.
The Phantom of the Opera
Dracula

Non-fiction:
Dynamic Stillness by Swami Chetananada
When Things Fall Apart by Pema Chodron
The Kybalion by The Three Initiates
The Works of E. A. Wallis Budge
The Diamond Cutter Sutra
The Heart Sutra
The Gnostic Gospels and the Bible

Kathleen42
11-05-2009, 05:43 AM
I reread quite often. In almost all cases, it's because I love the characters and want to spend more time with them. Like well-loved friends, I already know their best stories, but I'm willing to sit down with a cup of coffee and listen again.

Most reread:

The Mirror of Her Dreams & A Man Rides Through
Good Omens
Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason
About a Boy
Circle of Friends

JulieHowe
11-05-2009, 07:36 AM
The Grapes of Wrath. I've lost count of how many times I've read the book. Read in the context of modern times, with people losing their homes and entire neighborhoods becoming ghost towns, I'm in awe of John Steinbeck's brilliance as a writer. His words are still meaningful today.

The Ritual Bath by Faye Kellerman. I really like the main characters, an Orthodox Jewish widow and an LAPD police detective, and I've read the book more times than I can remember.

Danielle Steel's Palomino used to be one of my favorite read-it-again novels, but I picked it up the other day after not reading it for a few years, and the book was so boring that I couldn't even read it all the way through.

Pyrohawk
11-05-2009, 07:52 AM
Almost every book I ever liked I have read at least twice.... All the ones I own I've read between 5 and a dozen times each.

The Harry Potter books I have read so many times that I can open them to any spot in the book and just start reading from there without missing a thing.

C.bronco
11-05-2009, 08:00 AM

Only two I can think of: The Scarlet Letter, and Watership Down.

They were both awesome each time, and I re-read them for no apparent reason.

I did re-read John Elder Robison's Look Me In The Eye while looking for insight.

All good reads, both times.

jinap
11-05-2009, 08:05 AM
Throw me in with the chronic re-readers. I can't afford a lot of new books, and if I liked it, I've read it more than once. Actually, I've also reread books that I didn't like the first time round, so that's not an impediment. Any surviving books from my childhood have been read 10+ times. Wodehouse & Pratchett are in my library, so I go through them regularly.

Joslin Dee
11-05-2009, 08:44 AM
I probably read Pride and Prejudice four or five times a year, same with Jane Eyre. Two books that never get old! I read really fast, and it never takes me more than two days to read a book, so I re-read EVERYTHING, otherwise I spend an exorbitant amount of money on books and my husband threatens to cut me off.

OpheliaRevived
11-05-2009, 08:59 AM
Susan Kay's The Phantom of the Opera.*puts paperbag over head*

I've also read Wuthering Heights a jillion times and have gone back to Tess of the D'Urbervilles tons of times.

David Wisehart
11-05-2009, 01:06 PM
I've read Lord of the Rings 14 times.

The Name of the Rose 3 times.

Sometimes I re-read the early books in a series when the new books come out; for instance, The Game of Thrones.

Several books I've read multiple times because I've taught them (Lord of the Flies, Catcher in the Rye, The Scarlet Letter, A Separate Peace, Ender's Game, et. al.)

Libbie
11-05-2009, 07:17 PM
If I like a book, I will eventually re-read it. I've liked a lot of books in my time, so to list them all would be crazy. But here are the ones I re-read the most (I suppose you could say these are my favorites, though I don't necessarily say that.)

Lolita, Watership Down, Maia, Lord of the Flies, George R. R. Martin's series, The Stars My Destination, Ender's Game.

These are each re-read at least once a year. Others I'll re-read every few years.

ChaosTitan
11-05-2009, 07:35 PM
Watership Down, Richard Adams
The Outsiders, SE Hinton
The Story Girl/The Golden Road, LM Montgomery
Pet Semetary, Stephen King
The Green Mile, Stephen King
Island of the Blue Dolphins, Scott O'Dell
All of the Little House on the Prairie books

Chris P
11-05-2009, 07:39 PM
None recently, but I do plan on rereading War and Peace because there were several things that I knew where important but didn't understand on first reading.

I also plan on rereading Dennis L. McKiernan's "Mithgar" series, as the books came out over the course of 20 years and don't take place in the order they were released. I hope to read them in the order they take place for a more complete story. Oh, and I'll probably reread Vonnegut's "Dead Eye Dick," "Cat's Cradle" and "Player Piano" again.

And of course I've reread my own books! I don't care if that's narcissistic. :)

Tzalaran
11-05-2009, 08:13 PM
the Dune saga by Frank Herbert (rereading this now actually)
LotR (read over vacation and the holidays many years)
the Taltos series by Brust
The Stand (unabridged edition twice)
Elfstones of Shanara and Wishsong of Shanara (read a few times as a teenager. not read them in years though...)
The dragonlance original trilogy and legends trilogy (read these a year ago again and still love them)
Ender's saga (ender's game, speaker for the dead, xenocide, children of the mind)
The moon is a harsh mistress by Heinlien (i'll reread most anything he wrote, but this is my favorite)

johnrobison
11-06-2009, 06:12 AM
I read stuff over and over again. But people always sais I was strange

Chauchat Butterfly
11-07-2009, 12:55 PM
I generally don't reread books since I have so many I've yet to even take a peek at. But sometimes I will and usually I find a book better the second time around. The best examples are Lolita and Rabbit Run.

I found them both somewhat tedious the first time I read them, but the second time they both flowed beautifully and I wound up loving them both where before I had merely liked them. Rabbit Run expecially.

Fenn
11-07-2009, 02:38 PM
Oh heavens, if a book's worth reading then it's worth reading a hundred times or more (in my opinion, at least) :D

Almost all my books are favourites that I pick up over and over. And I've got literally piles of books - they're heaped in random places all over the house :rolleyes:

The most re-read of all my books would be Alice in Wonderland / Through the Looking Glass - my all time favourite :)

Then there's pretty much all the Discworld novels in a heap, The Magus by John Fowles, a couple of Tania Kindersley's books (the nearest I ever get to -urk- 'chick lit'), a whole pile of taxidermy instruction manuals (my latest obsession) - it's a completely random collection.

The one series I've never managed to read through (but which is sitting patiently waiting for me) is the Harry Potter lot. They're currently next to my bed, winking at me, but so far I've somehow managed to avoid their temptations...