PDA

View Full Version : Preparing a one-sheet

Judg
08-01-2009, 07:50 AM
I'm going to a conference next week (first time) and was thinking I should print up some one-sheets for those much-hoped-for encounters with agents and editors.

Any suggestions of what should be included, other than a modified query letter?

I tried searching for threads on this, but the results were bewildering and almost never relevant.

Barb D
08-01-2009, 08:45 AM
I went to my first conference a couple of weeks ago. I took business cards with my contact information, and gave a few of them out. I didn't notice anyone else handing anything out.

The agents and editors who were there specifically said to indicate that you were at the conference in the subject line (or on the envelope) of your query when you sent it AFTER the conference, and that they would look at yours faster than one sent in absolutely cold.

katiemac
08-01-2009, 09:00 AM
I'm going to a conference next week (first time) and was thinking I should print up some one-sheets for those much-hoped-for encounters with agents and editors.

Any suggestions of what should be included, other than a modified query letter?

I tried searching for threads on this, but the results were bewildering and almost never relevant.

Hmm... off the top of my head, and mind you not a lot of experience with this type of thing, I'd make it more like a business-style one-sheet than a query letter, with all the sections broken out so they're easier to read at a glance:

CONTACT INFO
TITLE
GENRE
WORD COUNT
SUMMARY/HOOK
PUBLISHED WORKS
AUTHOR BIO

I'm also wondering if it would be beneficial to print them up on a heavier cardstock, maybe even half-sheets, not to make them gimmicky but so they stand out and don't look like just another piece of paper the agent picked up at the conference. I'm thinking the smaller the size, the better, but this is just my gut reaction.

Otherwise I should think a business card would suffice. Maybe one with a web address where you've also listed this information.

Judg
08-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Katie, so you're saying basically a query letter in sections.

DeleyanLee
08-01-2009, 07:40 PM
In all my years of running and attending conferences, I can't say that I've ever seen a "one page" handout. Most everything done at conferences is done verbally, usually in casual conversation. From what I've heard from agents and editors, they don't want the formality of written pitches at conventions because they're A) trying to relax a little and B) likely to lose things if just handed them in the hallways or at the bar.

I'd highly reccommend working on your "elevator pitch" for your ms instead. (Y'know, that 2-3 sentence "what's your book about" bit of interesting you can spill in an elevator between floors and make them want to stay and talk to you instead of get off.) From my experience, that's FAR more likely to get your post-conference submission read (Thank you for agreeing to look at my novel. As you recall, it's the "Irish Braveheart fights against Normans and Sidhe" I mentioned when we talked at XXX Conference) and remembered than something they may or may not read (or keep hold of) in the press of everything else they're doing.

Good luck, and have fun at the conference.

katiemac
08-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Katie, so you're saying basically a query letter in sections.

I sure am! I can't think of anything else you'd need to throw at them right away.

Eldritch
08-01-2009, 10:32 PM
In all my years of running and attending conferences, I can't say that I've ever seen a "one page" handout. Most everything done at conferences is done verbally, usually in casual conversation.

I've only attended four conferences, but I agree with DeleyanLee. My impression is that agents and editors really don't want people approaching them with handouts or manuscripts. If someone else has had a differnt experience, I hope they'll post it here. I'd like to hear how it worked out.

Whatever you decide, have fun and enjoy the conference.

Judg
08-01-2009, 10:37 PM
I wasn't planning on approaching people with it, but having it available to hand them at the end of an appropriate conversation. I'd heard of other authors having something like that available. I even asked what it was... ;) Can't remember if it was here on AW or elsewhere. It was quite a while ago.