PDA

View Full Version : Cynthia Manson Literary Agency

dragonmedley
05-04-2009, 01:09 AM
Ok, I googled, agentqueried, publishermarketplaced (and checked the Index...) and nothing comes up except some news and her phone number/email address in a communiqué. She represents Naomi Novik and I'd like to know if she's even open to queries!

Anybody have any experience or clue?

I thought I'd ask before emailing her...

Thanks all!

batgirl
05-04-2009, 03:54 AM
An article (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/05/jobs/05pre.html?ref=jobs) by one of her authors that gives a little bit of insight, maybe. He got picked up by her via personal introduction, so it may be that she takes people on by recommendation only.

I found a mention of this deal from 2007:
Robert Masello sold Blood and Ice to Anne Groell at Bantam via agent Cynthia Manson. The book is "part historical vampire novel—set during the Crimean War—and half contemporary thriller—set in Antarctica."

and 2008:
Doetsch previously wrote bestseller "The Thieves of Heaven," which is being developed at Fox 2000. His new novel "The Thirteenth Hour" will be auctioned shortly to publishers by literary agent Cynthia Manson.
Described as a cross between The Bourne Identity and The Time Traveler's Wife, the book follows a man accused of brutally murdering his wife who is given a chance to save her by going back in time, in one-hour increments.

-Barbara

Mt. Dew Addict
05-08-2009, 11:35 PM
Darn. I was hoping to query her, as I have a YA fantasy with dragons. I'm getting the feeling that dragons are out (there's no way I can make them zombie dragons, or vampire dragons), so after reading "His Majesty's Dragon" I had hope...

Ah well.

spinspin
05-10-2009, 01:23 AM
Hey! I queried this agent last year, because she'd represented a couple of thrillers which had a specific angle tangential to my book. But I had trouble finding her, until I found via google an article about her contribution to her local volunteer fire department. I looked in the phonebook in that town and found a snail address for her. I mailed a query, and she emailed a request for 100 pages!

Then she passed.

But hey-- I tried!

--spin

dragonmedley
05-10-2009, 05:16 PM
I emailed her, asking if she was open to queries, but she hasn't responded yet...

What to do, what to do...

Repunzel
05-15-2009, 10:34 PM
I snail-queried Cynthia on 5/11 and got an email today (5/15/) saying she was a small agency and not taking new projects.

dragonmedley
05-16-2009, 12:45 AM
Shucks darn... Thanks for the update!

Repunzel
05-16-2009, 04:47 AM
Hey Dragonmedley -

I've seen more than one agent respond to a writer that they're not taking on new clients while requesting a sample from another. Maybe she's not taking and maybe she's just not taking on projects like the one I submitted. I'd watch this forum for a while longer and see if anyone has a different experience than mine before writing her off completely.

EgyptianGoddess
05-16-2009, 05:03 AM
Or maybe it's just their way of trying to give a nice rejection, and to make sure you're not querying them again anytime soon. Not you personally, but whomever they send that kind of rejection to, know what I mean?

Who can tell. Trying to figure this stuff out gives me a real headache:e2bummed:

dragonmedley
05-16-2009, 09:04 PM
Hey Dragonmedley -

I've seen more than one agent respond to a writer that they're not taking on new clients while requesting a sample from another. Maybe she's not taking and maybe she's just not taking on projects like the one I submitted. I'd watch this forum for a while longer and see if anyone has a different experience than mine before writing her off completely.

Ah, then it's worth a try! May I bug you for the address you used?

Repunzel
05-16-2009, 10:54 PM
I sent a snail query and two pages to:

Ms. Cynthia Manson
Cynthia Manson Literary Agency
2 Park Avenue Terrace
Bronxville, NY 10708

I included and SASE and an email address. She responded by email.

dragonmedley
05-16-2009, 11:55 PM
Thanks!

RikDavis
09-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Could I bug you for her email address?

dragonmedley
09-13-2009, 06:56 PM
Could I bug you for her email address?

Of course! The one I found was 'cynthiamanson@juno.com'; however, I never got a reply. I did query via mail and got a note saying she wasn't taking on new clients, though.

F.L.N
07-24-2012, 02:04 AM
I ran across this as an email address: cynthiamanson.lit@gmail.com

Undercover
07-24-2012, 03:07 PM
Just a note, I talked to her and she DOES NOT take YA.

F.L.N
07-24-2012, 05:08 PM
So I found out. I queried her and got this reply:

Hi. I do not rep YA or children's. Please, if it is not too much trouble let me know where you got my name. It would ne. Helpful to know the source or listing .
Thanks.
Cynthia Manson