PDA

View Full Version : How long to follow up on a requested partial?

harvey77
03-09-2009, 01:51 AM
A very reputable agency requested a synopsis and chapters from my sci-fi book. Window of time for a reply was 6-8 weeks. It's been 11.

Do you think it's too early to send a follow up email? Important to note: the materials were sent on an exclusive basis.

brainstorm77
03-09-2009, 04:19 AM
I've seen 3 months posted often on the board.

scope
03-09-2009, 04:19 AM
Send a status query immediately. If they are beyond the period of exclusivity you have to tell them if you want to withdraw or extend same. If the latter, I wouldn't give them more than 2 more weeks).

You have plenty of other agents to query.

elroy
03-10-2009, 02:49 AM
IMHO, 3 months minimum. But if they said they'd be done in less than 8 and it's 11, follow up by all means. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

Cyia
03-10-2009, 04:55 PM
If they gave a specific time frame for an exclusive read, and they're outside the confines of that time frame, then you need to follow-up ASAP.

aka eraser
03-10-2009, 09:22 PM
If my math is correct, you sent it during the Christmas holiday period which could account for the lag. But since it's an exclusive, I'd definitely follow up.

Gonna bump this over to BWQ.

harvey77
03-17-2009, 02:07 AM
Emailed the agency and the novel was (surprise) rejected. However, I never received a reply via snail mail, and I know for a fact that I included an SASE. The agent chalked it up to getting lost in the mail, which, since it was around the holidays, is possible.

During the wait period, I was editing the novel and strengthening it. So not a total loss. Still, in the future I'm not going to submit partials on an exclusive basis.

Cyia
03-19-2009, 01:51 AM
Related question.

On a status query, do you just say:

Dear agent:

I was wondering if you've had a chance to look at the manuscript for [title] that you requested on [date].

Or should it be more involved than that?

Saltier
03-20-2009, 02:00 AM
I don't know, but I'd LOVE to see the answer to that.

Also, say your word count was long for the genre, and over the several mo. since the query, you've tightened (because once the partial was sent you *magically* gained the ability to hate any passage that won't endear you to the reader) the MS by about 6,000 words.

Would the agent want to know that the work is now shorter?/ would you include that on a status email on a partial?

Saltier
03-20-2009, 03:21 AM
Actually, I just saw this post (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134683) and found that it answered the question.

As for my other question, I'm thinking no. I'm probably just looking for a reason to check in.

See? It's better to post here and look like an idiot than to look like an idiot with an agent or editor.

Cyia
03-20-2009, 04:00 AM
Actually, I just saw this post (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134683) and found that it answered the question.

As for my other question, I'm thinking no. I'm probably just looking for a reason to check in.

See? It's better to post here and look like an idiot than to look like an idiot with an agent or editor.

Woot! This was the post I was trying to find before I posted that question. I'd lost it. Thanks!