Combining first and third person in the same novel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
This topic relevant to a project I'll be working on later this year. To be specific, my resurrected-and-overhauled trunk novel from waaaaay back.

I originally wrote this in third person all the way through, because that was my natural default setting. Sometimes present, sometimes past, but always I wrote in third, whatever the story.

Trouble is, this story was crap. Committed every sin in the book. Yes, even head-jumping, because I knew Jack about staying in one character's head.

Fast forward a decade...

Soon after I had an idea that could bring some life to this years-old idea again and make it worth reading (I hope) I started writing in first on other projects. So I thought, "Hmm...maybe, as well as putting my trunk novel's characters in a different setting, ageing them a little and expanding certain storylines, I could switch from third to first."

Seemed to work for the 16k words I scribbled out over the course of a few weeks. Random scenes here and there that will fit into the book somewhere, somehow.

But after looking through my draft from way-back-when...that is, once I got over the nausea and embarrassment that I could ever have written such rubbish, I realised.

Houston, we haz problemz.

The first chunk of the novel is from the female MC's point of view. No problems there. She gets involved in a weird, urban fantasy-type situation. Mixed up with the wrong crowd, blah blah. Meets the wrong man. They get involved, shit happens, then...she injures him.

Badly.

To the point of death, in fact.

He manages to get away and seeks help from one of his associates.

You see my problem.

We've been in first person from the female MC's point of view up to now.

But now we need to describe the male MC's injuries and the fact he seeks help from a friend - a friend the female MC cannot know about, at least yet. She thinks she's killed someone, doesn't know the male MC is alive, or that he's gone to Second Male Character to get fixed up.

So...switch to third person at this point? Stay in first but bounce into the male MC's head? The secondary male character's? Would you consider any/all of these to be 'cheating'?

Now it's not so much that I'm asking for help in writing this novel - that's my job, only I can write my own ideas down, but I'm curious as to what other folks think, because this is a subject which has been touched on in other threads, in particular the anti-first person POV one.

We all have our favourite POVs and this thread isn't intended as a "which is best," debate, or even "which is your particular favourite?" (For the record, I don't have a favourite POV or tense...as long as the book's written I couldn't give a monkey's either way).

But. Mixing points of view. Yes? No? Doesn't matter?

Can you think of any books which do this well? And, as a warning, any which do it badly?

I could write this particular project in third person and it would make the switch from female MC to the section where the male MC has his injuries tended less jarring, but...hmm, the female MC's chapters might seem less intimate written that way.

So I'm giving serious thought to having different sections to the book, for example:

Part One: First person, female MC
Part Two: Third limited, from the point of view of either the male MC or his male companion.
Part Three: Your guess is as good as mine.

If the book were sectioned off like this, would a POV change be less jarring to you?

Finally, I know that story trumps all. A book should be well written, and that's it, but really I'm just throwing my questions out there to get a feel for everyone's opinions and preferences and how they would handle such a problem.

Leukman

Pernicious...n'stuff.
Registered
Reaction score
You have a menu of options, as designed by you.

I've read a novel, some time ago and can't recall the name, where the primary character's POV was written in first person, and all other characters were written 3rd person omniscient. It would change from chapter to chapter, depending where the story was and who the spotlight was on. I remember thinking it was different, and it took some initial getting used to. But it was made to work, and it gave the story an edge (and I remember the way it was written all these years later, but can't remember the name or the story!).

My current WIP is 3rd person singular, with each chapter/segment being in a different head, but there's enough overlay in timeline/plot so as to follow the continuum. I don't believe there's a problem with this, as betas have not indicated a difficulty following, and it allowed me to provide different prospective/feelings/paradigms without using the omniscient crutch. But if your plot doesn't lend to a contiguous forward movement (ie: lots of backstory, flashbacks, etc.) then it may not play well.

Last comment - if you're writing first person, I'm not sure how you could make being in other heads in different parts of the book first person as well. That sounds confusing to me...

That's my speach. All IMHO of course.

sknipper

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stephanieknipper.blogspot.com
Diana Gabaldon, Audrey Niffeneger & Jodi Picoult are three writers who have successfully pulled this off. Both write mainstream fiction. Diana Gabaldon has written books that start off with a 1st person narrator then switch to 3rd, then back to 1st.

Jodi Picoult has written with multiple narrators in 1st person. I think My Sister's Keeper was written this way. Alternating chapters from each character's POV, and if I'm remembering correctly, each written in 1st person.

Audrey Niffenegger wrote The Time Traveler's Wife from her 2 main characters' POV, both are told in 1st person.

IMO, if you can pull it off, go for it. From your description, it sounds like we need to see both character's POV.

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Leukman - when I talk about switching points of view while staying in first, I mean being in my female MC's head for the first chunk, writing a few chapters from inside my male MC's head and then returning to the female MC.

The thing is, I'd only need to stay with my male MC for a couple of chapters and wonder if the brevity would make his 'section' stand out more?

sknipper - I love, love, love The Time Traveller's Wife and Gabaldon's novels, too. Picoult? Not so much. I know it can be done; I'm just unsure of whether I can do it!

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Audrey Niffenegger wrote The Time Traveler's Wife from her 2 main characters' POV, both are told in 1st person.

When it comes to Niffenegger, though, didn't she alternate chapters (or at least smaller sections) by the male and female character? Now I can't remember ...

SP, it's obvious you're facing a challenge, but not one that can't be done. As a reader, I feel like your biggest challenge may be overcoming the initial POV change. I find after reading long sections in one POV (and tense), that a sudden and big change is very jarring.

Reaction score
...I feel like your biggest challenge may be overcoming the initial POV change. I find after reading long sections in one POV (and tense), that a sudden and big change is very jarring.

Exactly my concern.

The 'switch' would only last for a couple of chapters at most, and I'm thinking it's information the reader needs. And my female MC cannot know what goes on...yet.

The only alternative I can see is to have someone else (the secondary male character, most likely, when they eventually meet) relate all these happenings to her in a later chapter. "You know that guy you thought you killed? Well he's not dead and by the way, I helped him recover." But that idea set my info-dump siren blaring big time.

stuckupmyownera

Mostly lurking
Registered
Reaction score
Do you need to follow the guy at all? I could be oversimplifying, and obviously I know nothing about your story, but my gut instinct is that if you've been in the female MC's head for the first several thousand words, then it is a story about her experiences, and what happens to him for a couple of chapters isn't so relevant. I mean, surely they'll catch up later anyway...?

ETA: Oops, just read your post #8 above. I see why you have reservations but personally, I'd be thinking about a creative and unintrusive way to 'info-dump' rather than hopping to the male character for just two chapters. Personally, I'd find the hop jarring if everything else is from the woman's POV.

Of course, I know nothing...

Last edited:

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Exactly my concern.

The 'switch' would only last for a couple of chapters at most, and I'm thinking it's information the reader needs. And my female MC cannot know what goes on...yet.

The only alternative I can see is to have someone else (the secondary male character, most likely, when they eventually meet) relate all these happenings to her in a later chapter. "You know that guy you thought you killed? Well he's not dead and by the way, I helped him recover." But that idea set my info-dump siren blaring big time.

I was about to ask if those few chapters from the male MC's POV are really, truly necessary. If we're already seeing things from the perspective of the female MC, wouldn't it create more tension for the reader to not know what's happening with the male? To have no idea if she's killed him or not?

Reaction score
I have other WIPs to see to meanwhile, so it'll be a couple of months before I get around to this one, but I might just start writing it and hope by the time I get to the troublesome section, that a solution presents itself.

I spoke with thethinker42 the other day and she votes having another character relate these events to the female MC at a later time, but I'm still feeling edgy about it coming off like an info dump.

We'll see.

But thanks to everyone for their thoughts so far.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Exactly my concern.

Well, I can think of a few possibilities.

One being your original POV. You're sitting on something that could potentially end up being either in third or first person, from your female MC's perspective. It's still past tense, though, right?

At what point in time is your narrator telling us this story? After everything is said and done and we said "the end" six months ago if your story were a real timeline? This is a case where the narrator is not necessarily your MC, even if it is in her perspective. So when, then, does the narrator do the talking? After the entire story wraps up? So it's entirely plausible that your NARRATOR knows what's up with your male character (in third person past) even if the narrator normally likes to hang around in your MC's head (in first person past).

It seems like it gets trickier if you want to go from First Person Present to Third Person Past. However, it might be beneficial to include some passages in your First Person Present section as if she is narrating something he has done. ("Bill told me once about the time he went to the drug store. It was dark ...") So, really, we already have a third person past tense within your first person present POV. When you switch gears, it's less jarring because we've haven't been solely stuck in the MC's head before, even if she was only telling his story.

Did ANY of that make sense? I'm willing to bet your answer is "no." I think I just imploded my own brain.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
But. Mixing points of view. Yes? No? Doesn't matter?

Can you think of any books which do this well? And, as a warning, any which do it badly?

Since I didn't expand on this elsewhere, and you did ask: RED, by Jordan Summers. She uses multiple third-person past POV's from the Heroine, the Hero, and two secondary characters. Mixed in there is the first-person present perspective from the Villain, and it is done with chilling effectiveness. We see the murders done from a very intimate perspective, and it's done so that we can't immediately identify who the killer is.

Makai_Lightning

Love Addict
Registered
Reaction score
You can use any tool you want to. If nothing else, try it a few different ways.

My advice would be, if you're going to try switching to third farther along in the middle, to have shorter third person scenes placed before then so it isn't as odd when it's encountered when you need it. That way you'd establish the laws by which your readers read by in a way that allows you to play around with POV. (I did this for one piece I did, although it was different than your situation by a whole lot. There's third person scenes at the end of every chapter in first person. I haven't had much complaint on it, where I otherwise did hit some complaint at leaving all the 3rd person scenes in the middle.)

If you want to try the relay of information afterward, but have reservations about it, you could always try it both ways and see which reads better. It'd be easy enough to cut out the 3rd person scenes in the case you didn't like it, or the debriefing scene if you didn't like that.

Just because something is an infodump though, doesn't mean it's inherently bad. There are good infodumps and bad infodumps. If you have a really really long scene which is nothing but pelting the reader with information they may or may not want to know, or even if they would want to know wouldn't want to digest all at once, that's bad. If you can do it otherwise, that's fine. (Like, add clues about what could have happened to the guy without making it obvious, then when your MC is debriefed it'd make more sense or potentially be less annoying).

Hope that helped a bit.

If nothing else, I wish you good luck.

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
Check out Richard Russo's Bridge of Sighs. You need a freaking notebook to keep track-back in time, forward in time, no back then first then third then him, her no him no the other him.

So complicated, but amazingly brilliant.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah ... I officially made zero sense. I'll come back and try to clarify my post when I have less things on my brain and no time limit to get out the door.

Why am I still here? Huh ..?

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, because I can't quite leave this alone ...

My current WIP in first person present, in the perspective of my female MC. One of her very close friends, before page one, is dead.

I found that when I'm writing, I tend to include some lengthy passages where my POV character is reminiscing about the life of the dead character. These passages, which can span more than a few pages, end up reading like they are in third person past tense, even though I am technically writing them through my first person POV character.

What I meant in the second half of my confusing post is this: If you were at all able to do something like I described above with your male character (getting pieces of his past recounted through your first person narrator) it may not be as jarring when you switch to the male character's POV in third person past tense. Because, technically, the reader has already seen some of that character's life in third person past.

Does that make more sense?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I can't write in 3rd person...so I can't really comment on your ability to do this task. I've tried 3rd person several times. I don't know if it was good...because I just didn't like it at all. I am only 100% comfortable in first person.

Reaction score
I'm getting there too, Kevin the Christ. Never thought I would say that, but for some reason I'm coming over to the dark side.

I could definitely write in third again, but it's first for me at least for now.

I've heard it said fledgling writers often opt for first because it feels easier, more intimate and gives their writing authenticity. I was the exact opposite. I never felt right in first, years ago, because it was too intimate.

And I realised that was because I was writing what amounted to The Secret Diary of Mary-Sue Peaches, aged 18 and 3/4. First person would have basically been admitting to as much.

But now I think I'm better at characterisation, I can 'do' first person, because I'm now more able to separate myself from the characters. First person is safe for me because the folks I write about are more distinct from their creator than were my characters from years back.

Does that make any sense?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Yep. It makes sense to me, anyway.

Earlier this year I was absolutely shocked when I sold a third person short story. I wrote that thing like I was walking on glass...it actually scares me. I prefer to read first person too. Until I joined AW, I didn't realise how many people frown upon it...I was shocked, because it has always been my comfort zone--both as a reader and a writer.

Feidb

Been Here A While
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fredrayworth.com
I personally, don't like mixing tenses, but I've seen a lot of it lately and it seems to be a new trend. I hope it doesn't last!

Objectively speaking, if it works for the story, use it. I've been editing several stories for friends that use mixed tenses. The MC is first person, all the other characters are third. It seems to work for them.

I also have to mention how much I hate first person, present tense, and one reason is Patricia Cornwell. However, I just read Scarpetta, and she switched back to third person. I loved it! I hope that book isn't just a fluke.

Status
Not open for further replies.