PDA

View Full Version : Writing novels in different genres at the same time

Pink Ink
10-23-2008, 08:40 PM
Today on my blog, I posted about whether or not (http://pink-ink-pink.blogspot.com/2008/10/i-wasnt-going-to-do-it.html) I should finish rewriting a historical romance (my current WIP) at the same time as writing a horror novel from scratch (for NaNoWriMo).

Which got me curious, have you ever tried writing two (or more) novels in different genres at the same time, and how did you do?

Feidb
10-23-2008, 08:46 PM
I'm currently writing a sci-fi thriller and an icky bug. At the same time, I'm also editing my MS's for a fantasy and an action/adventure novel. I'm pretty happy with them, though I've yet to find an agent that feels the same way!

HeronW
10-23-2008, 08:55 PM
I'm working on a scifi, a 4th in a fantasy series, and have a modern fiction bit in the works. It's a matter of what you're comfortable handling. What may not work for one could work for another and there's always someone wanting to play :}

Danthia
10-24-2008, 01:23 AM
Stories are stories. It's easier to write in different genres at the same time because the "rules" of each genre are so different. You don't get confused by trying to remember which magic system goes with which story for example.

Right now, I'm working on book two of my trilogy on the weekends (when I have the most time), and another novel during the week when I only have a few hours each day. I'm on a deadline for the main book, so I have a quota of words I need to hit each week. If I don't get those done on the weekend, then I stay on that novel until I do.

tehuti88
10-24-2008, 01:24 AM
I'm always writing stuff in different genres at the same time. It's kind of on hiatus, but I was working on the rewrite of an occult thriller-type novel while also working on a fantasy/mythology serial, and for a long time I was working on the serial while also working on an anthro/erotica/drama serial.

Working in different genres, or even working on different stories in the same genre, is no biggie for me. I'm always surprised when I read about people who can work on two stories at once, but not if they're in the same genre, else they might get the two mixed up; to me, my stories are all so individual that mixing them up would be like forgetting my own kids' names!

ETA: Slipped Danthia's post, that was the source of my puzzlement exactly. I would never mix up the details of two of my stories like that, but I guess with other people it can be a problem. *shrug*

cooeedownunder
10-24-2008, 03:02 AM
I play with different genres at the same time but I have heard this may not be a good idea. I have heard that it is best to become profficent in one genre. If one is published, stick to it and build up an audiance. I was always interested in fiction but somehow got sideswiped and finished a non-fiction work. I have no interest in writing another non-fiction work, and I dare say those who buy the non-fiction will not bother with the fiction.

Carmy
10-24-2008, 06:11 AM
Why not?

To be a writer you have to have imagination, and imagination knows no boundaries.

vixey
10-24-2008, 06:18 AM
Okay - my first thought is you're writing a novel while participating in NaNo???

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_3_3.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=_undefined)

Apart from that I think it would be easier to write in 2 different genres than the same. I'd get confused if I were writing say 2 romances (I'd definitely mix up the MC's names at least twice).

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=[object Object]&pp=ZNxdm801YYUS (http://smiley.smileycentral.com/download/index.jhtml?partner=ZSzeb097_ZNxdm801YYUS&utm_id=7925)

cooeedownunder
10-24-2008, 08:23 AM
Why not?

To be a writer you have to have imagination, and imagination knows no boundaries.

Yes, point taken, although I think if you invest a great deal of time on one genre, gain those readers, maybe it would be better to attempt to keep them. Mmmm, but I'm still caught between three worlds. lol

Inarticulate Babbler
10-24-2008, 08:55 AM
I write in two different genres most of the time. My novel-length WIP is Historical Fiction, while I have a couple of Horror flash stories and a Contemporary Fantasy flash submitted to market. I also have a collaborative Heroic Fantasy in an intense outlining stage (the first time either of us have tried an extensive outline) and a Fantasy being stretched into a novel from a novelette. Then I have a Historical Sci-Fi being edited for submittal, and a space opera-ish story in the Heinlein Centennial contest.

I like having different worlds to dip into, but I find one-at-a-time in each genre is enough.

cooeedownunder
10-24-2008, 09:02 AM
I write in two different genres most of the time. My novel-length WIP is Historical Fiction, while I have a couple of Horror flash stories and a Contemporary Fantasy flash submitted to market. I also have a collaborative Heroic Fantasy in an intense outlining stage (the first time either of us have tried an extensive outline) and a Fantasy being stretched into a novel from a novelette. Then I have a Historical Sci-Fi being edited for submittal, and a space opera-ish story in the Heinlein Centennial contest.

I like having different worlds to dip into, but I find one-at-a-time in each genre is enough.

Now that's busy.

mlhernandez
10-24-2008, 09:19 AM
I do this quite a bit, usually an urban fantasy of some flavor and erotica. Right now I'm working on an erotica novella and the beginning of a YA urban fantasy. It's definitely a huge change, lol, but it works for me.

Inarticulate Babbler
10-24-2008, 10:53 AM
Now that's busy.

LoL - And I work 9 - 10 hours a day, 6 days a week, critique on at least one other writing site regularly and do between 2 and 4 illustrations for an online magazine every month.

*I don't have much of a life.*