• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Williams Literary Agency (Sheri Williams)

DrRita

Act One '08
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ritabetti.com
Hi,
I have two of my children's books contracted with Williams Literary Agency and when Sheri Williams first took me on, she was a relatively new agent and I a new writer. She faithfully sent out one of my manscripts to publishers for over a year and never got a bite. I'm sure most of that can be attributed to weaknesses in my book and some to her being new. That was over three years ago and for the past two years, she's done little more than post them on the agency's website under "rights." At one point she offered to have another editor/professional writer she works with look at my manuscript to see if it could be improved upon. I agreed as long as there was no charge. She never brought it up again. I guess I'm asking if I should just cancel the contract and take my works back. I guess there comes a point to which no agent is better than one who never answers you e-mails and who is unreachable most of the time. What say you more experienced writers.

Also has anyone ever had any dealings with this agency? I think I need to resolve this soon. I'd like to rework my books and find a new agent or send them out on my own. Or should I hang in there?

Last edited by a moderator:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Writer Beware has gotten a number of complaints about this agency, which bills large amounts for postage and submits to inappropriate publishers (one writer's YA novel was submitted to Christian publishers despite its lack of a Christian theme). I suspect the fact that your ms. didn't get a bite has nore to do with this than with quality issues.

Ms. Williams claims sales, but I can't verify more than a couple. An agent who has been in business since 1997 ought to have a more solid track record.

- Victoria

DrRita

Act One '08
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ritabetti.com
Thanks!!

James,
Yes, I've written more and am working on a couple. I'm also working on an adult novel.

Victoriana,
Thank you for your response. I have suspected such but being so new to this agent thing, I didn't act for fear I'd ruin a "good" thing which is turning out to be a nightmare. I will send her a letter post haste and get out from under the contract which states we can end our association at any time by written notice. Thanks again, I feel so much better!

Daughter of Faulkner,
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm going to forge ahead!

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
She may have cleaned up her act (although I'm always skeptical of questionable agents who appear to go straight) but that doesn't change the fact that she doesn't have the background and expertise a successful literary agent needs. As far as Writer Beware knows, she made only a couple of sales in more than five years as the Williams Agency.

I've started a thread on Red Writing Hood Ink.

- Victoria