• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

D3 Press

Risseybug

D3 press is the name of the publisher. www.d3press.com. There is nothing good or bad about them on P&E. Actually their link was reported broken, but Dave fixed it :)

I got a "we might be interested" from them, just wondering if anybody knows anything. They publish SF/F only.

James D Macdonald

Re: Anybody know about D3

Who do they publish? How long have they been in business? Can you find their books on the shelves in any doors-and-windows bookstores?

XThe NavigatorX

their website hasn't been updated since 2002.

Risseybug

All valid questions, Uncle Jim, which I have e-mailed them. I will post when I get a reply, for all to see :)

ncq13

Their author list consists of two individuals, Thomas Kane and JD Isaacs. I performed and amazon search on both names. One NF book comes up for Isaacs (not by d3 press unless they are an affiliate), and several books for Kane, though after checking several for the d3 publishing label and not finding it- I gave up.
Good luck!
~Kate
katestamour.com

James D Macdonald

Dthree Pr seems to have exactly one book listed at Amazon: ISBN 1-931008-00-0.

Risseybug

Hmm, he wants to see the whole ms. Wondering if I should send it or not???

ncq13

I don't know... The book Uncle Jim mentioned was published in 2001. I think I would want to know what they have been doing for three years and what they do or do not do for their authors.
Good luck!
~Kate
katestamour.com

Risseybug

Still waiting for a reply to that e-mail. I'll hold off until I get some answers.

Risseybug

Update...
I submitted a query to them, got back a "let's see the whole ms." within a day. Ok, I sent an e-mail back...

Tim,
Before I submit my ms to you, which I am more than willing to do, I have a few questions about your business.
1) Why haven't you published a book since 2001? Hey, if you were on hiatus, I know how things happen, just wondering what you've been doing in the meantime.
2) Are you planning any other projects this year?
3) Of the two books you did publish, how did they fare?
4) What are your policies regarding copyright -do you file for an ISBN, file with the LOC, etc?
5) You are an imprint of Benedyne books still? I know your website is not updated, just wondering. What books has Benedyne published, and how did they fare?
6) do you put books into brick and mortar stores, and list with places like Amazon and B&N online?
7) What do you do to help your authors succeed - ie press kits, sending out review copies, etc...

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions! You know how publishing is, and I want to go in with both eyes wide open.

Christine Norris

I think I sent this two or three days ago, with no response. If I ever get one, I'll let you all know.

Risseybug

What do you think about this reply??

I got an answer to my e-mail regarding what this publisher has been up to for two years. Here's what it says.. should I send the ms or not? He want it e-mailed, so it won't cost me anything postage-wise.

In answer to your questions...... *chuckle*

1.- 2. Have been through a divorce, 2 moves, several career changes, and a total life change of direction since 2001. Me and a group of friends are right now building a youth conference center and youth ranch (including a crisis pregnancy shelter for teens and single moms) in the mountains near Boise, and I've been focused hard on that (and will be for awhile). This winter when the snow flies and we can't do much outside, I am planning to get lots of work done inside on the computer/internet/publishing/etc. The publishing ties into our long range plans for the project here. If you want my monthly email newsletter telling what all is going on with that project, I would be happy to add your name to the list.

3-7. D3 Press published (and I tried to help market online) the Macpherson Criticality and met with very limited success, due to many factors, one of which was a rocky marriage on my end that constantly had me offbalance. That is over now, and I plan to put things back in operation this winter, and really focus on it. As for the others that I tried to market, again, limited success because of a homelife that sucked, pardon my French.... *unhappy shrug* (I need a stable home life to be able to effectively focus on and follow through with projects - just the way I am). In many ways, I am starting over from scratch this winter, on both Benedyne-Books, and D3 Press (and my life). Everything that you have mentioned as questions are things that we want to do and avenues/venues that we plan to explore, but just haven't been able to do much with until now. Now I can, and am gearing up for that.

Does this help answer your questions?

Sincerely,

-Tim

Hmm. I mean, I'm a nobody myself. Just wondering if I should take a chance and send him my ms? I guess it's not a binding contract or anything. If LBF wants to publish, I would probably go with them.
Opinions?

Kate Nepveu

Re: What do you think about this reply??

Risseybug: I guess it's a question if you want to be the first one. Me, I bought a 2003 Prius, rather than a 2004--partly because the 2004 were another few months away when I needed a car, but mostly because the 2004 was a redesign and I didn't want my car to be the one shaking out all the bugs. Maybe they'll be great, maybe they'll fail out of inexperience . . . do you want to be the test case? (This is a serious question, not a rhetorical one.)

Have you sent your manuscript to houses that have been around longer, and with what results?

Risseybug

I guess you're right.. depends on how much of a gambler I am. I have submitted to the much debated LBF books as well, at least they have several books scheduled to come out in the next few months.

If they don't accept the ms, then I'll send it.

absolutewrite

Sounds like a very honest reply, which counts for a lot with me.

But Rissey (and others), my question is this: Why are you doing your research AFTER you contact publishers? These are questions you should have answered before you query them in the first place; I'd find it off-putting if someone sent me a query, I responded with interest, THEN that person seemed suspicious of me. To me, it would be annoying that the writer sent something to me without knowing anything about me.

The ideal time to learn about a publisher is before you ever send a query. There are so many publishers (large and small) that are unquestionably legitimate that I'm not sure why you'd need to go further than that.

HConn

Jenna, is that advice in the "General Tips..." thread.

It ought to be number one.

Risseybug

Call it

part of the learning curve, I guess. It was one of the first publishers I queried, and I won't make the same mistake again.

Actually, I was thinking about that when I replied. I felt kind of bad about it. But he gave a nice reply, I've thought about it, and I submitted my ms to him. He wanted it electronically anyway, so it didn't cost me anything. I'm not bound by anything yet, so I took a chance.

Thanks for your input everybody.

DaveKuzminski

Re: Call it

Personally, I don't have a problem with writers checking into some publishers after submitting provided they go to the lists rather than emailing someone for a private answer. After all, the private answer will be basically the same as what's listed at P&E.

Why? Because if they submit to a scammer and then look up that business while they're waiting and discover the truth, then there's actually some good taking place. The author knows there's no obligation to let that scammer represent or publish his work and it keeps the scammer busy, assuming that the scammer reads enough of the manuscript to formulate a response.

Risseybug

thanks Dave,

But there was nothing listed about them, good or bad on P&E. It was my fault for not looking more closely at the website before I queried.
Again, live and learn. I was happy to have the editor answer me in such an honest way. and lucky too :) , I guess, that I didn't get a nasty response.

DaveKuzminski

Just noting

I was remarking on the statement made above about research and not to the particular publisher in this topic.

Risseybug

yep...

And it was a good point too :) - writers need to research publishers, whether before or after. It was a general statement. And I will do it from now on.

NomadPress

Re: yep...

Risseybug,
Why would you want to submit a manuscript to a publisher who acknowledges that book publishing is something he'll do when other things in his life aren't a priority? He's going to work on publishing during the winter months when it's snowing? If I were an author submitting a manuscript I'd sweated over and wanted to see in print (sold in brick and mortar bookstores, with reviews and everything else that goes with publication) I would read the response from D3, thank him for his time, and abandon ship immediately. Keep looking for a publisher that does more than one book a year, has an established program, and gets its books into regular bookstores. It will be worth the wait.
Lauri

Risseybug

Re: yep...

You're probably right. Rereading the response, I got the same feeling.
I have the book at another publisher who is reading it now. I think I might pull the submission.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Well, if D3 Press still exists, it ain't at that site. Anyone hear from them since August '04? Locus has their only publication being in April '01....