The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveKuzminski

Re: What PA says about bookstore sales

Maybe holding the signing at the Holiday Inn is an excuse to stay there overnight on the off chance that a groupie might want a fling with a real published author?

I wonder if HB is taking his wife with him? ;)

James D Macdonald

Re: I'm tired, I'm cranky, and I was interviewed by the NYT

Yeah, that New York Times. About PublishAmerica.

Oh! You mean their partners?

(Hey, when you signed up with PA they told you about how PA authors keep getting interviewed by newspapers, and look! It's true! I wonder if this will be the cornerstone of their defense against false advertising in that regard?)

astonwest

Re: What PA says about bookstore sales

Dave wrote (long ago):

"Well, according to Miranda Prathers most book sales don't occur in bookstores. PA must have insider information that Holiday Inns are responsible for huge sales of books."

Of course!!!
The guests are stuck in the hotel all night long.
Perhaps you'll have to knock on their doors, but.........

Talk about your captive audience. Why didn't I think of that?

Big Daddy West
:hat

Ed Williams 3

Hey, don't discount Jiffy Lube...

....they have over 2200 service centers in North America, which makes it one heckuva potential PA book sales outlet. Just think, you can drive in, get your car serviced, and also get a chance to purchase books at the multi-author booksigning taking place out by service bay #4....

afanofthetruth

HB

Ed,

Bad exposure perhaps. It will probaby be an after hours type party, not the big promotional tour he wants it to seem. Of course PublishAmerica doesn't actually give their writers much choice, but that is an awful way to go do down in history..trying to hold on to that last little drop of promotion you have left in you...it's sad.

That's why now I'm trying to find a successful publishing venue, with a true traditional approach. It's those kind of moments that should remind all PA authors that this PA publishing contract is just that- a contract to do all the bidding, all the work, all the writing, all the promotion, and on top of that PublishAmerica gets to pocket the money just for "publishing" you. Now if PA actually promoted or advertised, or even had a glowing reputation the trickle down effect could happen, eventually for the PA writers. All that hard work and still they except their authors to get their own books in stores, which I personally had success at. But like I said no trickly down effect, so all that hard work for nothing for any person at PA that tries to make a go of it. But in the end PA is just a dead end.

But as long as PublishAmerica can continue as is, they will gladly do it. Change, that's what the company needs!

Ok, I've talked long enough..lol..

DaveKuzminski

Here's another good one...

Thus sayeth HB in a current PA post to another author complaining about a posting in his guest book. However, I don't believe HB realizes that he's just made a false accusation since he has no proof regarding who made that post:

HB Marcus

1/20/2005
21:56:09

H. B. Marcus
CRISPY
The Joe Schmoe Show
RE: rejected Author or PMS?

DO NOT FOLLOW UP ON THAT RETURN ADDRESS!!!

That is not the address it came from. That goes straight to Maranda Prather of PA fame, folks. It's a form letter they send arond except for one fine detail: It pretty much cooks Kevin's goose for committing libel and defamation 'whoopsies'. It's confirmed by his own gang that he was the one responsible for that lie and now he can be prosecuted. GENTLEMEN, START YOUR LAWYERS!!!

You knoa something odd? When I did all these interviews for hours lately and had my picture taken, I don't remember anyone sticking to the stuff they spew on these websites ARE THEY AFRAID??? Yeah, I think so:
"Oh crap, it's shoot or dribble time and I made up the whole thing to be with the gang."

LOSERS!!!

Ed Williams 3

Re: Here's a good one...

I think HB would paint his heiny pink and say it was a rose if he thought he'd get attention out of it....

:x 0]

James D Macdonald

Re: Here's another good one...

I don't believe HB realizes that he's just made a false accusation since he has no proof regarding who made that post....

Regardless, he does have a point. Those kinds of posts are pure BS. I certainly hope that no one associated with this site is doing that nonsense. They play straight into Willem Meiners' hands by making the people who are trying to tell the truth about PA look like vandals, forgers, and looneys.

DaveKuzminski

James, what gets me is that much of what's being posted is true as is the case with the fake Miranda posting which I copied and is no longer available on the PA forum. In fact, we don't even know for certain that she didn't post it. Here's the post:

J C Wallick

1/20/2005
21:35:05
Subject: rejected Author or PMS?

I have never been so outraged as I was today when I read an entry into my guest book. I invite any authors to let me know if they want thier links included, I will do anything possible to help anyone as my other post affirm, but to insult me,PA, and all of us, in my guest book is outrageous. I have copied her vile attempted to disuade me or anyone else to stay here read at your own discrection. H B if you read this she is fair game, as far as I'm concerned for you to have fun with.
Best wishes
Jerry
www.freewebs.com/jcwallick/
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Miranda Here
I've been browsing your website, and I would like to say I find your book very interesting. Unfortunately I was shocked and appalled to see that you've decided to publish through PublishAmerica. As a professional editor, I used to get Publish America books every single day for review. 95% of them contained copious errors on the very first page, so I researched some more and learned that Publish America is in fact a vanity press in disguise. So where do they get their fee, I wondered. Well the answer is easy. They tack it onto the price of the book. That is why PA books cost an average 5 dollars more than everyone else. I found much more info on these websites>
p197.ezboard.com/fabsolutewritefrm11
www.mindsightseries.com/c.../3831.html
payn.freelinuxhost.com/
Please if you have any self-respect, if you don't want your friends and family to s****** behind your back (as the whole publishing world already does) you can get out of the PA contract. I am posting this for you. Not to be mean or a jerk, but to help you. I know you want to resist this because they "gave your book the chance it deserves." They tell that to everyone, like Kevin Yarbrough who submitted the same 30 pages over and over again to make a 300 page document of gibberish, which got accepted. The BBB says they have no complaints against PA. That is because of the 79 complaints filed in the past 6 months alone, PA has immediately released the complainant from their contract, and the BBB considers it "resolved." That's how you can do it. Complain and you'll be released--released from the humiliation, the heartbreak, from the nightmare.

Miranda Panter
[email protected]

aka eraser

It's definitely someone who's at least lurked here, among other places. I don't recognize the syntax. I too hope it's not one of "ours."

Arden19

Hotels for book signings

Ya know, I used to play in a vampire LARP, and we would rent out hotel conference rooms as a place to play, so clearly hotels don't care who gives them money, and for why, just so they get money. I think it's just crazy.

And, I was at a book signing on Tuesday at Borders in Tyson's Corner, VA. Not my own mind you, I was there with my husband so he could get a book signed. It was totally professional, and a lot of fun! They completely sold out of books, and people went to other stores to buy books and then came back. The author was there until at least 12:30 am! Another guy we work with was further back in line than us, and that's when he left. My husband was #143, and the other guy was somewhere in the 500's. When we left, they were approaching 800 people for this signing.

Wonder how HB's will go. O:)

James D Macdonald

It's definitely someone who's at least lurked here, among other places.

Yeah. I recognize one of my lines. But the person says "copious" when he/she means "numerous," so I suspect this is a PA company exec trying to create dissension.

Remember, Willem claims that he has a background in psychology.

Sher2

I suspect this is a PA company exec trying to create dissension.

For what it's worth, that's exactly what I've always suspected was going on with these so-called g/b slams. It serves its purpose, too; i.e., it fires up the zealous and causes them to huddle together and rally to PA's defense.

Ed Williams 3

If you research most cults...

...a whole series of things continually happen to keep people locked into the fold. I think this email/posting thing is a deliberate act by PA - they must be anticipating that the upcoming articles about them are going to be unfavorable, so they are trying to pull their minions in close beforehand.

On another subject, here's an interesting link:

www.publishamerica.com/cg...e/7367.htm

I'd heard that the Washington Post article would come out this Sunday, but this is the first time I've been made aware that the Post is having a group chat about the PA situation. Looks like it is scheduled for 3 pm next Tuesday, for everyone's information.

FM St George

Re: If you research most cults...

this could be interesting...

wonder if the moderator is REALLY prepared for this?

snarzler

Writers and Selling

As I'm watching a program on sales, I'm reminded why I write.

I'm lazy and I hate sales.

This is exactly why I NEVER should have gone with PA.

I am not dreaming of JK Rowling money while I dabble. Writing is a serious business and I treat it as such.
But when I signed my contact with PA, I didn't expect to have to hawk my books like a salesman on commission.

For anyone skipping to this section of this thread, here are a few facts:

REAL publishers pay the writer up front with money of several bills.
REAL publishers COMMUNICATE with their writers.
REAL publishers EDIT their books OVER and OVER and WORK with the writer to do so.
REAL publishers MARKET their writers' books. For FREE.
REAL publishers do NOT send pamphlets to your Aunt Minnie pimping their website.
REAL publishers have CATALOGUES and are listed internationally.
REAL publishers have their books REVIEWED and PAY for the review copies.
REAL publishers do NOT make the writer BEG stores to carry their books.
REAL publishers contact media when the book is RELEASED.
REAL publishers arrange booksignings. The writer doesn't have to pay for ANYTHING.
REAL publishers pay writers their royalties ON TIME with ACCOUNTABLE information.
REAL publishers do NOT SCOLD their writers for having problems with their functions.
REAL publishers do NOT DELETE writer messages for having HONEST questions.
REAL publishers do NOT THREATEN their writers for NOT towing the COMPANY line.

If you want to write, send your work off, be published and only have to venture out of your ink space for signings and accolades, then Print America is NOT the REAL publisher for you.

Andrea 0]

DaveKuzminski

I like the one comment in that link to PA's forum that "the bad guys" are expected to show up. I'm presuming they mean Willem, Larry, and Miranda. ;)

Gravity

on the same note...

...my "traditionally-published" (whatever that may be), non-PA novel came out last June, and was marketed in exactly the right way. It's found, on the shelves, in both CBA and ABA chains nationwide, and is doing right nicely, thank you.

But here's something interesting. Last weekend, while at the mall with my wife, I spied an independent bookstore and wandered in, curious to see if they carried it. After not finding my novel there, I asked the lady behind the cash register if they'd have a problem ordering a few copies.

"Not at all," the lady replied. "Are you a local author?"

I assured her I was, and gave her the book's ISBN. She punched up the info on her screen while I watched.

"Well, there you are," she beamed then. "It looks very interesting. I'll order ten. How's that sound?"

Fine, I told her.

And that was it.

No begging, no chicanery, just a friendly, straightforward business transaction. But what makes this especially delicious, is that three years ago, when I first approached this same store, with my PA novel (a disaster of the first water, by the bye), I was blown off completely. The reasons? Non-returnability, the store's discount wasn't high enough, yadda, yadda...you PA authors (and you know who you are) have heard it all before. I sure did. And hearing it ad infinitum was danged discouraging. Comparing the two scenarios, well, the difference is like (insert your favorite cliche here).

Your publisher does make a difference, folks...I know.

John

BeckEaston

wonder if the moderator is REALLY prepared for this?
Take a look at any board and you get a wide range of unnecessary dialog, combined with a whole lot of emotional rage on both sides. :|

I’m not sure I want to be part of this tirade on the people who appose that which the PA-Cult authors have no idea is happening to them. The masses of ignorance run amuck! Surely, there will be HB and his crass - oh so rude - condemnation of any person author or not who might disagree that PA has its shortcomings. Then there will be the valley of the absolutely blissful for no more reason other than seeing their product in their hands.

Furious authors from our side spouting the violation of trust (as it should be) that PA has so generously bestowed unknowingly upon them, and you get one heck of a bash that will resemble the PW forum, some of these pages, or for that matter any forum where those two little letters are typed = PA! :eek

It's going to sound very much like a catfight on a hot tin roof, unless some serious ground rules apply! I would suggest that everyone from this board hold themselves in the highest of professional courtesy if they choose to join this chat. I may sound like a mom here, and if so I apologize. It’s just my suggestion, but don't let them emotional backlash of PA scars tear down everything we've worked so hard to create. Come to the table with solid complaints, solid arguments and be prepared for the onslaught of Meiners and Prather's manipulative tactics.

I just got my new site up and running. People can pre-order my books. Check it out and you'll see some spelling errors I think I've corrected but it won't publish correctly yet. I'm working on it, but would appreciate any feedback in my email. NOT the web site for grammar and spell feedback please. Thanks a bunch guys. I appreciate it.

[email protected]
RebeccaEaston.com

DeePower

The web chat for the Washington Post article will be moderat

The chat will be moderated. All questions and answers will go through the moderator before being posted on the chat.

Dee

StephanieCordray

RE: The Post Mystery

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I suspect this is a PA company exec trying to create dissension.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For what it's worth, that's exactly what I've always suspected was going on with these so-called g/b slams. It serves its purpose, too; i.e., it fires up the zealous and causes them to huddle together and rally to PA's defense.

This was discussed some months ago with another group. It's entirely possible, especially since it was sent to PA's staunchest supporter, knowing that it would be spread around on the PA boards. HB is not known on the net for discretion when it comes to belitting those who don't agree with him. If this is so it would just be one more reason not to work with this company.

However, it honestly could be anyone who reads these boards. I've been lurking here since July (forgot my log in info). I could still read so it didn't bother me not being able to post. I'm still in learning mode. Anybody can read these boards without ever registering. That's as it should be so I'm not crticizing, just pointing it out. Don't let it get to you, any of you. Either way, it's psychological warfare meant to deter. From everything I've seen so far, this company doesn't want to go to court, have their records examined, or come clean about what they truly are. What better way to do it than create a smear campaign against the engine that would force them to answer what they don't want to answer? At the very least it creates an atmosphere of paranoia which I have seen in evidence here and with my other group. You can drive yourselves crazy worrying about the who and why.

LOL... when a friend told me to put in my thoughts about PA here, it took two days to finally get my log in right. I put in my big long post about PA and figured that would be the end of it since I'm not a published with PA author or anywhere else for that matter. I'm still reading and occasionally posting something.

One of the hardest jobs I have is helping my friends write again. The very attitude they and others have about their publisher is holding them back with self doubt and a sense of futility. Half the time, they identify with those poorly edited books PA puts out and the incoherent posters on PA boards, thinking this is the best they can do. The other half, they are here fighting PA with everything they have in them.

I appreciate every one of the "Big 8" who have worked so tirelessly against this company. I know some of you from the other group, but not all of you. All I can do myself is give my support and a shoulder to cry but those you have when you need them.

NancyMehl

Phony M. Prather Remarks

This is an e-mail circulated about me to several writing sites. The info has some truth, wrapped around exaggeration. Posting things like this doesn't help anyone. As someone else said, it makes us look like looneys. My novel was NOT PA's bestselling title. I didn't sell over 1300 copies in "a year." The deal with Kroger's was only a good possibility. It was never finalized because I was waiting on PA for some assurances before I encountered "a surprise" that would ruin the deal. There was no 500 book order. Of course, Kroger never contacted PA.

The messages on every site were basically the same with a few differences. It is interesting to see the other books mentioned. Whether this is a clue to the author of the message is anyone's guess. To be honest, I wouldn't seriously spend any time trying to find out. These messages are meant to cause confusion. Unproved theories at this point would probably just add to the problem.

Nancy Mehl
www.nancymehlbooks.com

---------------------------------------

Miranda
Baltimore
MD
09/28/2004
12:13:12 PM

Nancy Mehl's 'Graven Images' was Publish America's best-selling book. In less than a year, it sold 1,300 copies on Amazon and bookstores across the world. This was great news. Nancy contacted the grocery store chain Krogers, and they agreed to purchase 500 non-returnable copies for their shelves. Krogers in turn contacted Publish America with the big order. PA didn't respond to email, letters, or telephone calls (sound familiar?). Nancy Mehl contacted PA, and they never responded. Nancy didn't hear anything from PA until she received an email from Author Support: "Per paragraph 24 of the contract, we're canceling (sic) your contract." They reserve the right to cancel as the market demands. If the market demands too much, they must make an additional investment with more time and resources with an increasingly lower return per book. Your books can't sell well. Publish America can't afford to deal with individual titles that break free from the 50-500 copy range. Why? Because their business model revolves around selling to their own authors. Nancy Mehl's book became a liability. You sell well, PA drops the contract. writersweekly.com/phpBB2/...ght=#12671 www.mindsightseries.com/c...1096371229 p197.ezboard.com/fabsolutewritefrm11 I would really hate to see books such as 'Dying to Believe' by Ken Chambers 'Tipple's Eve' by Gaylen Sharp 'Parasites' by H.B. Marcus 'Letters I Should Have Written' by Stacy R. Butler Renee Bagley's novels (Tangled Web and others) with the copyright-infringing unicorn on the cover or KA Schneider's 'The Scent of Magnolias and Men' (who, by the way, should be properly schooled in the differences between "use" and "used" and the definition of the word "snigger." Such a thing used to annoy me, but not anymore. Now I just snigger at them.) Fall to the wayside because PublishAmerica ruins the lives and books of authors If you want to talk more, please email to [email protected] Thank you M. Prather

Status
Not open for further replies.