• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Script analyst] Scrip Team

WillJenkins

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a new guy here, and I have written a screenplay. A company that calls itself Scrip Team, has offered to analyze my script for $175. He says he is not an agent, but a script analyzer.
It sounds fishy to me, but I'm not sure if this an industry standard for this type of company, or what my gut tells me is a rip off.

Thanks; Will

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Writer's motto: "Money flows towards the author."

If this guy charges you, then it's probably not the best option.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
There are some very good screenplay analysts out there - but an awful lot of shonky ones too.

'Creative Screenwriting' did a test on the many of them:

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/showthread.php?t=7443

One of the $600 services was classed as 'Not Recommended', whereas a $300 service made it to 'Highly Recommended', so it doesn't seem to be a 100% 'You get what you paid for' rule.

Scott Mullen (who is known to many because of his blog 'Alligators in a Helicopter' also offers script notes for $60. See: http://sixtybucknotes.blogspot.com/

Honestly - if I were in the script analysis business I'd charge $150, pass the notes onto Scott & pocket the change...

To quote from his page:
I don't want anyone sending me scripts in hopes that I think they are great, and will pass them on to someone else. I'm not going to do that. If they are great, enter them in a contest. Win. Become rich.

I want to read scripts in which the writer is stuck, or needs a push, or some direction. Where I can give you pages and pages of story/structure/character notes, and you'll happily launch into a rewrite.

I will tear your baby apart. I'll tell you a few good things, and then most of the report will focus on what doesn't work. If you don't want your baby torn apart, don't hire me.

What I'm offering is basic, solid notes (no synopsis, just notes), from a guy who has read a hell of a lot of scripts and books (I'm going to hit my 9000th studio/prodco coverage sometime next year) and who'd be just as happy reading your script as he would one from a production company, for the same price. Because that's fair.
I've never used him, and because I'm an Aussie I'd probably use the Australian Writer's Guild service instead. However, if you want to go down the 'script analysis' road it's at least by someone who isn't overcharging and is putting his reputation on the line.

Good luck,

Mac.
(PS: In my experience, the best thing to do before any of this is to post 5 pages on a DECENT critique board for comments. You'll find problems that would have never occurred to you otherwise - and they are probably problems that have been repeated throughout the script.

Some good critique boards include:
* http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60
* http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Take all comments with a grain of salt - but I've never posted pages and NOT got at least one very helpful response.)

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Will, do you have a website or other info for "Scrip Team"?

And if he emailed you unsolicited (spammed you), then avoid him, period.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
ScripTeam's site is "temporarily disabled", so here's a cache of their services page.

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I take it as a bad sign he is confused about "script" and "scrip".

Scrip is a term for "funny money" issued by government agencies to substitute for currency. Like the army does or did in combat areas to keep real currency out of the hands of the black market and enemy.

Usually the color or size is changed several times a year and old scrip becomes worthless unless exchanged on a given day for the new scrip.

Regards,
Scott