• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Five Leaf Clover Publishing

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Just received an e-mail from Marc Michels at Five Leaf Clover Publishing offering to -- wait, no, "personally invit[ing me] to promote [my] book at the New Title Showcase of BookExpo America."

Since my only book is a volume of poetry published in 2007 (by a university press), I imagine this is just a phishing expedition on his part.

The Benefits of a New Title Showcase include:
-Exposure to all attendees right when they enter the Javits Center
-Full face-out display
-Listing in the New Title Showcase catalog
-Online listing in searchable database at www.newtitleshowcase.com
Yay! I'm so excited! Please, explain to me the details of your plan.

For those not attending BEA, the New Title Showcase represents the most cost-effective and best way to have a presence at the fair and not miss out on the opportunities available each year at BEA. The New Title Showcase display fee for each title is $299.

In addition, Five Leaf Clover Publishing will have a booth on the show floor, driving traffic to the New Title Showcase. If you wish to further expand your presence, we are offering to include you in our prominent booth for an additional $199.

Please be assured that we are not trying to take advantage of hard-working authors. In fact, you may submit your book to the New Title Showcase yourself for $299 here: http://www.combinedbook.com/cbe_reseller/bea.html.

However, we believe that you could benefit greatly from having a physical presence representing your book. Our offer is not entirely selfless either; each year, we offer representation to a handful of authors whose work was well received.
For those who want to dig around, you can find the home of Five Leaf Clover Publishing here: http://www.5publishing.com/

Note that they hold the carrot of representation out there in the above quote, though the website itself states, under submissions, the following:

Five Leaf Clover Publishing does not accept unsolicited submissions, proposals, manuscripts, or submission queries via e-mail at this time.
If you would like to have your work or manuscript considered for publication, we recommend that you work with an established literary agent. Each agency has manuscript submission guidelines. You may wish to refer toThe Literary MarketPlace(the LMP), a reference guide that contains a listing of literary agencies. It can be found in most libraries. Another excellent source isThe Writer's Market, which you should be able to find in a local bookstore or library.
Yuck. I feel spammed.

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
5 Leaf Clover spam

I just received a "personal invitation" to exhibit my new book (which was published by Viking) on a stand run by "Five Leaf Clover Publishing" at the BEA in Javits Center for only $299! Obviously if I got this solicitation, plenty of other writers did too. I think people on this forum are savvy enough not to fall for this sort of scam, but there are always newbys coming by; so for what it's worth, the offer is totally useless. It means that books will be placed on a shelf somewhere in the huge exhibition space, where no one in the world will notice it.

I hate to think there are writers who would fall for this, but if there weren't, I don't suppose they'd be offering it.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Only one book published: in '12, by someone related to owner. (SW page, LinkedIn) Kindle edition in '13, but no further activity. (Yet. Author mentions elsewhere a sequel due "Spring '16".)