• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Webzine] Espresso Fiction

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
No, they require a subscription fee to read their stories, and I'm afraid I don't have the cash to pay for it. According to the submission guidelines, though, if they accept my story I will get a 6-month membership, which is another reason why I'm interested in submitting.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I see that they're a paying market (not well paying -- $30 flat-fee), but that's something.

Has this story already been submitted to and rejected by other, better known, better paying, wider circulation markets?

It's generally a better strategy to start at the top and work down.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
No, it has not been submitted anywhere yet. It's on the final editing stage. However, I happen to be new and don't know any better markets. Where can I find other markets for my stories?

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
DamaNegra said:
No, it has not been submitted anywhere yet. It's on the final editing stage. However, I happen to be new and don't know any better markets. Where can I find other markets for my stories?
It depends on what genre you're writing as a lot of the resources are genre-specific. For example, if you write SF, fantasy, horror, etc., Ralan's web site is a good place to start. And I think you can find links to other market sites from there.

There is also a paying markets board on Absolute Write. :)

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
I've been having rather a strange experience with Espresso Fiction. I submitted two stories (at separate times) but never received the confirmation email that they promise.

I wrote to the editor each time to see if she got the story, but I never received a response.

However, I had no problem getting the sample stories they provide via email.

Anyone else have a similar experience with them?

Thanks!

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
I submitted something to them last December, and got a rejection a month later.

Rane, do you remember if you got a confirmation email saying they'd received it?

Sorry for the rejection...

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
Here's my latest experience with Espresso Fiction:

Submitted story on March 6, 2008. Received confo same day, saying their normal response time is 4 weeks, could be longer. If you don't hear from us in 6 weeks, send us an email.

Hadn't heard anything by April 22. Wrote status query.

Received no response, either to story or status query.

Withdrew story via email on May 16.

Received rejection (for withdrawn story!) on July 15.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Quick update for anyone looking at submitting to Espresso Fiction:

About 7 weeks ago I submitted a short story (my first ever in fact) to their site. After hearing nothing for 6 weeks, I sent them an email to see if there had been any progress. I received the following email this morning:

Hi Simon

Thanks for your email. My apologies for not getting back to you sooner but Espresso Fiction is currently on hold and is not processing any story submissions at the moment.

After 5 years of attempting to build a paying espresso Fiction membership, I decided that it was time for a new approach. This coincided with a few things that were happening for me personally (a mini tornado ripped through the area where I live and a few weeks later I moved house), so Espresso Fiction was put on hold. When it returns, it will be a free site for members (with some form of advertising to fund the site) but will still be a paying site for writers. There are a few things that need to happen on the backend before the new setup can be launched. I'm not sure when that will be but one of the first things I'm trying to set up is a way to regularly get in touch with writers that have registered with the site.

So stay tuned...

Kind regards,
Jill Brennan

Since the site says they're still accepting submissions, I thought it best to let y'all know. Don't want you waiting months for nothing in return! :)

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Still on hold. Anyone hear anything more?