• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Digital Fiction Publishing Corp. / Digital Science Fiction

RainyDayNinja

Registered
Reaction score
I just saw this listing pop up on Duotrope today. They offer pro rates, say they want to be SFWA-qualifying, and the website looks fairly professional. But my google-fu failed to find any information about the editor, publisher, etc. Anyone know anything?

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
It looks nice. If I had a SF story ready to go, I'd probably submit to them. The real proof will be their first issue, though, and whether their checks clear. :)

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
They're using Wordpress for their site. I wonder what sort of backing they have that they're paying 5 cents a word. They're planning to publish ten stories per month, so, even at the shortest word count--3500 words--that's an outlay of $1750 per anthology. They're planning one anthology per month with distribution via Sony and Amazon.

What I wonder is how well thought out this venture is, because, that's a lot of money going out each month for a start-up company to handle. And that's based on the shortest lengths. Add any advertising and some longer works and I wonder how long they can sustain the payouts.

Personally I'd wait and see if they last more than a year--though less than 6 months is the most likely.

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
Personally I'd wait and see if they last more than a year--though less than 6 months is the most likely.

Am I right in thinking that, should they hit a year, they'd become SFWA qualifying?

Also, they cap submissions at 7500 words but mention publishing novellas in the anthology. That struck me as odd. Probably just an oversight.

Last edited:

gsebmark

Registered
Reaction score
I just saw this listing pop up on Duotrope today. They offer pro rates, say they want to be SFWA-qualifying, and the website looks fairly professional. But my google-fu failed to find any information about the editor, publisher, etc. Anyone know anything?

I know a bit. I'm Canadian, I'm a full time lawyer, I love science fiction and fantasy, and in my (limited) spare time I run a successful internet marketing sideline. I wanted to turn some of that success to something I love, literature, and I can't write worth a damn. Mike -- Digital Science Fiction

Last edited:

gsebmark

Registered
Reaction score
It looks nice. If I had a SF story ready to go, I'd probably submit to them. The real proof will be their first issue, though, and whether their checks clear. :)

We use paypal, mostly... :)
Mike

gsebmark

Registered
Reaction score
...they cap submissions at 7500 words but mention publishing novellas in the anthology. That struck me as odd. Probably just an oversight.

You make a good point pangalactic. It's more of an "in the future we would", but I can see how it's confusing our message overall. I'm removing the remark. Thank you for pointing this out.

gsebmark

Registered
Reaction score
They're using Wordpress for their site.... What I wonder is how well thought out this venture is, because, that's a lot of money going out each month for a start-up company to handle... Personally I'd wait and see if they last more than a year--though less than 6 months is the most likely.

I use a pot to boil water too. It's crazy how easy it is!

Not very well thought out, but it comes from the heart and I'm a reckless optimist; yes, it seems to be a lot of money to me too. Don't get me started on editors! How is it that "developing" work claims to be worth more than "creating" it, anyway?

I'm hoping for at least a year too. We'll do out best. See you in 12 months at the :partyguy: michael_b. (Hope springs eternal.)
Mike

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
I took a brief skim through their content. They're managing a substantial list, and they've attracted a fair number of significant authors. Good on them.