• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Cooks Source Magazine

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
I looked but didn't see any posts about this.

This is a print magazine currently making the rounds on the internet after they've allegedly stolen someone's article and then told them that they should be happy with the publicity after getting called out on it.

The original story is here:

http://illadore.livejournal.com/30674.html

The best part is the alleged quote from the magazine (from the above link):

"Yes Monica, I have been doing this for 3 decades, having been an editor at The Voice, Housitonic Home and Connecticut Woman Magazine. I do know about copyright laws. It was "my bad" indeed, and, as the magazine is put together in long sessions, tired eyes and minds somethings forget to do these things.
But honestly Monica, the web is considered "public domain" and you should be happy we just didn't "lift" your whole article and put someone else's name on it! It happens a lot, clearly more than you are aware of, especially on college campuses, and the workplace. If you took offence and are unhappy, I am sorry, but you as a professional should know that the article we used written by you was in very bad need of editing, and is much better now than was originally. Now it will work well for your portfolio. For that reason, I have a bit of a difficult time with your requests for monetary gain, albeit for such a fine (and very wealthy!) institution. We put some time into rewrites, you should compensate me! I never charge young writers for advice or rewriting poorly written pieces, and have many who write for me... ALWAYS for free!"​
I've yet to see a response from the magazine anywhere.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Heh. I saw this story in a comments thread on Making Light, last night, and Twittered the links.

Sheesh. I worry that it makes little indie online or print zines look terrible when some idiot pulls a stunt as unprofessional and boneheaded as this.

mrockwell

Just another genre hack
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marsheilarockwell.com
Their FB page is quite the entertaining read. Though I am pretty sure that the Twitter feed (while also hilarious) is the work of trolls.

Lauretta

In the fantasy word.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ciliegino.dallemieparti.net
I believe the thread will call more people in if only the title would be changed from Cooks Source Magazine to Stealing articles from the internet... or something like that.

AncientEagle

Old kid, no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
A Case of Copyright Infringement (merged into Cooks Source thread in BR&BC)

Warning: This blog entry may make your blood boil. According to the author, an article she posted on her own site, copyright displayed, was lifted without authorization or compensation by a small, obscure magazine and published. She complained. The editor asked what she wanted. When she said an apology and compensation, he responded that SHE should pay HIM for the editing that made it a readable piece, along with other infuriating garbage.

http://illadore.livejournal.com/30674.html

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I so :heart: the Internet right now.

Monica (the author who was plagiarized) is a personal friend of mine, so I've been watching this unfold for some time. I can't believe the response she received back from Cooks Source! What a crock.

Apparently, Cooks Source also ripped off a lot of people with much deeper pockets (like Food Network). So...

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
thieving editor said:
(snip) the web is considered "public domain" (snip)

The hell it is.

Either this editor was attempting a bold-faced lie, knew very little about the industry, or both. I'm betting both.

But, really. My husband is an English teacher. If one of his students plagiarized something from the internet, he'd laugh at any "public domain" arguments they put forth and give them a zero. If a college student tried that business, they could get tossed out. Try it at work, and you're likely to get fired...which is what's going to happen to this editor, no doubt. Let the litigation begin!

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, I'll see about getting a merge done.

Meanwhile, here's where it belongs. Or, if you want to follow the "ZOMG" side of it, you'll find it in OP

I hadn't read about it yet, so thanks AE!
After flipping a coin, merged thread from P&CE into this one. Carry on.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
OMG, this is so full of WIN! Check out their "discussions" page on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cooks-Source-Magazine/196994196748?v=app_2373072738

The "home address" thing is uncalled for, but some of the other "discussions" rock on toast. In case they're deleted, the thread titles read (in part):

Griggs personal facebook
Mainstream news about Cook's plagiarism--post links here
List of Cooks Source article sources. Please add more.
Where's the best place to steal articles from?
and
Let's hear it for 2nd Street Baking Co.

ETA: Nothing brings writers together like plagiarism. :D

EATA: The facebook sleuths are currently uncovering a startling array of thefts. Cooks Source stole from some major cookbook authors, health sites, Disney, NPR, and more. Some of these individuals/groups/publishers DO have lawyers on staff, and they are all being notified.

Oh, and apparently, the same editor also runs some other small pubs, on other issues, and uses the same business tactics there.

Last edited:

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Note to self: never piss off the internet.

Hee--never piss off WRITERS.

I found more links, some from Monica's blog:

http://illadore.livejournal.com/30729.html

http://www.reddit.com/r/WTF/comments/e147w/website_article_gets_copied_without_permission_by/

http://vampirephiles.blogspot.com/2010/11/writers-call-shenanigans-on-editor.html

Oh--look--the UK papers are on this one:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/pda/2010/nov/04/cooks-source-copyright-complaint

And Paula Dean's legal team has been notified.

Getting more popcorn. This is a helluva "roast" - pun intended.