• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Watson, Little Ltd.

richcapo

Knight Templar
Registered
Reaction score
I emailed two sentences to them, saying nothing more than what type of book I had written and to whom I would like submit it, and eleven days later they solicited its long-form synopsis and opening three chapters.

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com
I emailed two sentences to them, saying nothing more than what type of book I had written and to whom I would like submit it, and eleven days later they solicited its long-form synopsis and opening three chapters.

No, Rich, they requested you send them the material specified in their submission guidelines.

Synopsis and first three chapters (or 10K) is the standard procedure for the majority of UK agents.

richcapo

Knight Templar
Registered
Reaction score
No, Rich, they requested you send them the material specified in their submission guidelines.

Synopsis and first three chapters (or 10K) is the standard procedure for the majority of UK agents.
Correct (what's the issue?), but, if you want to get in the weeds with it, only correct to a point because their submissions guidelines require hard copy submissions. I simply asked if I could submit via email for my book, which I didn't describe beyond its genre, and they permitted me to do so. Nice bunch of guys if that's any indication. They told me what to send (and were kind enough to permit me to send it electronically). That's my experience with them, which is what the previous poster asked for. They could have simply ignored my correspondence or criticized me for not garnering their submissions information off their website or for having the audacity to ask if they could bend the rules for me.

Last edited:

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com
Correct (what's the issue?), but, if you want to get in the weeds with it, only correct to a point because their submissions guidelines require hard copy submissions. I simply asked if I could submit via email for my book, which I didn't describe beyond its genre, and they permitted me to do so. Nice bunch of guys if that's any indication. They told me what to send (and were kind enough to permit me to send it electronically). That's my experience with them, which is what the previous poster asked for. They could have simply ignored my correspondence or criticized me for not garnering their submissions information off their website or for having the audacity to ask if they could bend the rules for me.

The issue is that many people don't realise there is a difference between UK and US submission procedures and somebody reading your first post may have thought you sent a (short) query and had a partial requested.

The last thing we want to do is clog up Watson, Little's email with people doing this then losing sleep (or holding off revising their MS or Query) because they think they've had a partial requested.

What we now know is that Watson, Little will accept email subs upon request, which is good, and something plenty of UK agents do (although I've also seen plenty of UK agents complaining about getting requests to sub by email, saying people should just send the submission. Even those whose sub guidelines include "email submissions can be arranged with individual agents". *headdesk*)

Last edited:

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
Watson, Little Ltd. Literary Agency

Does anyone have any experience with this agency? I know they are a long-established agency with an impressive client list. I'm more interested in response times.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
According to QueryTracker, they tend to respond within two weeks if they want to request a partial or a full, and reject within a month.

Admittedly, this is from a pool of eleven queries over five years, so the data might not be that useful.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
They have had my full since November.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
I would send a nudge since they have had the full over five months, and since most agents say that three months is the average time you should wait before nudging.

And good luck on the full!