• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Editing] Nancy Rawlinson

spencergrant

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tetracyr.synthasite.com
I've searched around here and didn't see any mention of Nancy Rawlinson. Has anyone had any experience with her? Her site is http://www.nancyrawlinson.com/ and she offers quick reads and line edits and all sorts of things. I'm working on a sci fi piece right now and could use some help on it. Thanks

nancyrawlinson

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Spencer -- if you contact me through my website I'd be happy to put you in touch with some former clients. You could also get a free consultation with me as a trial. I should let you know, though, that I don't have a lot of experience with the sci fi genre. I do believe that I can help most writers with most craft issues, and the best writing always surpasses genre, but I'd still want you to know that going in. Shoot me an email if you'd like more info. Best, Nancy.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Hello, Nancy and spencergrant, welcome. :welcome:

After graduating I worked for a publishing company based in Brighton as a senior editor.

This is a bit vague. Perhaps you could put a name to this publishing company, whether or not they're still in business.

While I was studying at Sussex I worked for the local daily newspaper.

Doing what, specifically? One could conclude you were there as a writer, but the job might just as easily have been filing work or answering a phone.

I once worked at a pharmacy, but was not a pharmacist. Probably just as well, as I can barely read my own handwriting, much less decode a doctor's fist.
icon10.gif

Last edited:

nancyrawlinson

Registered
Reaction score
Gillhoughly -- I take your points. To clarify here: The publishing company I worked for was called Key Media, and they produced listings and arts magazines for the south of England -- kind of like regional versions of Time Out. I wrote feature articles and edited and I was their books editor for a while too. An internet search doesn't reveal anything about the company now so I think they must have gone bust. I worked there 1997-98.

The daily newspaper I worked for was The Evening Argus, in Brighton, England. I wrote arts and entertainment pieces for them, and did music and book reviews.

I am actually in the process of revamping my website and I'll have a new, sparkly and more complete bio up soon. I'll post here when it's done. Thanks for the feedback and interest.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
OK.
The Evening Argus I have heard of. They're a reasonably large regional paper.

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Spencer,

Can I make a suggestion? How about putting up part of your novel (say, the first chapter or half of the first chapter if it's particularly long) in the Share Your Work area?

It's located at:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26

Password is vista.

There's an SF/Fantasy section, but you might want to read the forum guidelines sticky before posting.

Alternatively, you can also request someone to read your novel (they're called beta readers, in case you don't know).

You can find that board here:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30

The difference with these two options? They're both free. (Although you might have to wait a day or so before somebody takes up your request, as people crit things during whatever free time they have.)

Just something to consider. :)

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

~Nancy