• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Artists & Artisans

J. Y. Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with this agent? I found him on Writers.net & sent a query to the address listed on his web site but received it back saying "Not Known - Unable to Forward". I called the number listed on the web site and got a recording in a male voice stating it was Adam Chromy and to leave a message - which I did. That was yesterday and I have had no return call. He is listed in P&E but with no negatives, but is not listed in Jeff Herman. Any info would be appreciated.

J. Y. Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Update

Just as an update, I still have had no return phone call from this agent. I'm tossing the query.

Kree Atv Khurz

Registered
Reaction score
Me too

I didn't get an acknowledgement or reply from him either to my e-mail query in March. Kree

J. Y. Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Me too

Their submission guidelines state that they will only respond to e-mail queries if they are interested, so you might be able to just consider that a rejection. On the other hand, I sent them a snail-mail query that was not deliverable (per the U.S.Postal Service) so he has not even seen my query. I called to find out a correct address but have not received a return call even though the phone number is apparently a good one. With these factors, I have my doubts as to his abilities (including, but not limited to, responsiveness) as an agent.

Thanks for your input. At least you've heard of him. Apparently, no one else scanning the forum has ever had anything to do with Mr. Chromy (another reason to mark him off my list :Shrug: ?)! Just for the info - I might try sending an e-mail to find out the correct snail-mail address though. I hate to give someone a bad rep if they have something else going on (health problems, etc.).

Last edited:

RicMarion

This guy is out there all right. He is listed on Publishersmarketplace.com and has sales posted. He even does interviews - Mediabistro etc.

Sounds like he wants to be contacted but really makes it hard.

I've tried email more than a couple times and they keep coming back bounced.

I know the address is right because I took it off his website. He must have some really neat spam blockers.

Anyway. I think I'd go with the idea that if he's this hard to contact now, how hard to you think it'll be to get a hold of him later?????

Good Luck

achromy

my apologies if your mail was returned

I apologize if you feel you did not get a response to your queries.
Everyday, I get dozens of email queries and about a dozen snail mail queries.
Since I read every query myself instead of delegating the tast to an assistant it takes too much time to respond to each email. But on the plus side, when a writer sends me a query it is being read by an agent and not an intern.
I cannot explain why the email or mail was bounced back - though I am not surprised with the shear volume coming in that some attempts fail.

If you want to try me again my complete, correct contact information is below. If not, best of luck to you anyway.

Adam Chromy
Artists and Artisans Inc.
45 West 21st Street, 3rd Fl.
New York, NY 10010
[email protected]

J. Y. Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Adam

Thanks for the time you took to reply, Adam. I'll re-send the query. It was perplexing to get it back since the rest of the info on your site seemed to be accurate.

J. Y. (Jean) Moore

J. Y. Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Adam Chromy - Artists & Artisans, Inc.

I did receive a reply to my repeat query to Mr. Chromy in the form of a hand-written note at the bottom of my query letter. Although it was a rejection, it was polite and personal, and I appreciate the fact that it was not the true form letter response without even a signature. As he says, at least he reviewed it himself, and I respect the fact that he was not interested.

One note: My novel is Sci-Fi with a certain element of romantic tension. The web site says they are interested in most genres of adult fiction. His note to me states that Sci-Fi is not his thing. I guess I don't have a clear definition of "adult fiction." At any rate, maybe this will save someone some time.

J. Y. (Jean) Moore

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your experiences, Jean. Like you say, it will save somebody some time.

Maryn

J. Y. Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Maryn said:
Thanks for sharing your experiences, Jean. Like you say, it will save somebody some time.

Maryn
You're welcome. It's tough enough trying to decide to whom you should submit your work without the wasted time/money. I suppose everyone has his/her own definition as to what constitutes what type of market/genre but it would certainly be nice if it were defined a bit better in each set of guidelines!

J. Y. (Jean) Moore

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Adam Chromy has an impressive list of sales according to everything I've seen, but does anyone have any word about the other agents at this agency?

Robert Astle
Lauren Barnhart
Michelle Wolfson

UrsusMinor

Registered
Reaction score
Other agents at Chromy

Michelle Wolfson was at Ralph Vicinanza (which is a powerhouse agency that also represents some important literary estates), and she made at least two pretty major sales while she was there.

Smart, young, energetic. She's a class act, and shows up at a few conferences. I'm quite impressed by her.

The other two I've never heard of, but that doesn't mean much.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Oh, I meant to add and completely forgot, that I did find one sale for Michelle Wolfson: a children's fantasy to Hyperion Books for Children (which as I understand it, is a division of Disney).

Thanks for the info, UrsusMinor.

DED

Lives Under a Rock
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dedzone.net
J. Y. Moore said:
One note: My novel is Sci-Fi with a certain element of romantic tension. The web site says they are interested in most genres of adult fiction. His note to me states that Sci-Fi is not his thing. I guess I don't have a clear definition of "adult fiction." At any rate, maybe this will save someone some time.

J. Y. (Jean) Moore

It saves me some time. Thanks!

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Unless an agent specifically identifies science fiction or fantasy as an area of interest, it's safe to assume they probably don't want to see SF/fantasy submissions. At issue isn't just their like or dislike of the genres, but their expertise. SF/Fantasy, like other genre markets, is rather specialized, and someone who's never sold into it might not know the right people to approach.

- Victoria

rubydolldoll

I'm thinking of querying Michelle Wolfson as it says on the Artists and Artisans website that she is looking for new authors. Has anyone had any recent experience with her?

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Michelle Wolfson has had one of my partials since July 27, pre-rewrite.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know how long Michelle takes to respond to a partial, and how long to wait until sending a status email?

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
She requested my partial on 05/10 and the full on 05/31. She told me (with the full request) that she'd just returned from vacation and was cleaning out her inbox, so I don't know if that was fast or slow.

Annie Dean

You might find this blog post helpful, as it contains the timeline wherein I signed with Michelle. But condensing it, I sent her a query on April 6, had a request for partial on April 6, had a request for full on April 13, and on May 1, I signed with her.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Seeing as she's had mine since the end of July, should I status query or just assume it's a no?

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Provrb1810meggy said:
Seeing as she's had mine since the end of July, should I status query or just assume it's a no?
I always give an agent a couple of weeks past the time frame they give, then send a polite note. For instance, if they say they consider querys within 12 weeks, I give them 14. If they don't give any time, I figure a couple of weeks past two months. If they don't respond to a polite note, it's safe to say it's "no".

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
I status queried a few days ago about my partial. She replied promptly saying she was swamped and that I can send her the rewritten pages. This makes me feel better, since the rewrite is so much better.