• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Burnstown Publishing House (formerly General Store Publishing House)

ShadowChaser

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the Absolute Write forum as a poster and member, but I have been reading the boards for some time now. Your answers were most helpful on many occasions. I have just finished working on my first superhero fiction novel. Originally, it was a 180,000-word novel, but I knew that many publishing houses would never publish a novel that big, especially from a newbie. I turned it into a two-book series. So, the next step was to find a traditional publisher, but I had a hard time finding a publisher for the genre. I know of the POD option like Lulu, but the overall goal is to sell many copies. Recently I was looking at one traditional house http://gsph.com (General Store Publishing House). Doing the standard research, I found them to be legit. Then I checked their submission guidelines, and it said that if they are interested, the writer should send the ms and a cheque for $150-200 to one of their senior editors for evaluation.

Is that a normal practice for traditional publishers? I appreciate any input.

Thanks

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
No, it is not normal practice. Reputable publishers do not charge reading or evaluation fees--or indeed, fees of any kind.

GSPH also says that, based on the editor's comments, "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]we will decide what type of publishing program (if any) to offer you." This suggests the possibility of vanity publishing to me, since commercial publishers simply publish--they don't offer different "programs."

Even if none of the above were the case, I don't see any indication that GSPH regularly publishes speculative fiction. If you write genre fiction, you really want a publisher that specializes in that genre.

- Victoria
[/FONT]

Glenda

Registered
Reaction score
No, best to stay away from them.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
As Victoria said, it seems that General Store Publishing House is a very small press that publishes local history and other special-interest titles. It wasn't clear to me from a look at their titles whether they were a commercial small press or a vanity/subsidy house--their asking for an upfront payment shows that they are working on a vanity/subsidy model with at least some of their titles.

And if your goal is "to sell many copies" of a speculative fiction book, it seems that General Store Publishing House would be a poor fit no matter what--their market niche appears to be pretty focused on local-interest stuff.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shadowchaser, it costs nothing but postage to submit to Tor, DAW, Baen, Roc, Ace, etc.