The Next Circle of Hell, Vol. 2

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
How exciting, Earthling! I bet it feels scarily (and exhiliratingly) real now.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
My book is on NetGalley *breathes into a paper bag*

Congrats! Yeah, that's a big Next Step. I'm not there yet, but then my book doesn't release until July. At least I can FINALLY say "less than year."

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aaaahhhh how exciting, Earthling!! Congratulations!

Robtailor

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats to Earthling - hopefully great reviews will be forthcoming!

Update my end - it seems we shall go for second round in Jan. The handful of editors we waited on haven't replied to a chasing up, which my agent has taken as a 'no'. Overall been out with them 2.5 months. Am accepting of that and feel a lot less anxious, strangely, without searching for updates updates, though a small part of me does wonder whether no reply truly is a no? (one of these editors had mentioned second reads early on). I guess it might have stoked some interest but not enough, and the editor in question might not have the heart to say no despite not being able to take it forwards, or something like that. Has anyone had an experience of editors not replying and then actually something positive came out of it?

At any rate, I have a few changes to make and will have another go in Jan, fingers crossed and all that.

PS. my understanding is mince pies did once have actual mince meat in them.

Last edited:

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
Am accepting of that and feel a lot less anxious, strangely, without searching for updates updates, though a small part of me does wonder whether no reply truly is a no?

I still haven't learnt patience, but it's the #1 thing an author needs. I've been waiting more than half a week for a response to an email I sent to my publisher - and that's when I'm already signed with them! It's Monday here in Australia and still nothing. I'm getting a complex about it, so I'm going to go and decorate the Christmas tree ...

helios

Registered
Reaction score
Robtailor - not sure, tbh. If they had second reads it's surprising they haven't updated your agent. Maybe the others haven't finished reading? Or maybe like you said, they just liked it so much they can't bring themselves to pull the trigger and say it didnt work out. Fingers crossed for round 2!

I'm just over here overthinking the fact that an editor from an imprint we're out to just followed me on twitter. It's not "my" editor so might be totally unrelated, but STILL.

Robtailor

Registered
Reaction score
Sonya - I am very patient when it comes to everything else. Would love to meet the writer with nerves of steel who just lets rejections wash off their back! I suspect there's very few.

Helios - I suppose bottom line is to head on with 2nd round hopes, and to not expect anything at all from those who haven't replied. Exciting that an editor followed you on Twitter though! What's the etiquette there? I assume one ought to follow back??

helios

Registered
Reaction score
We-ell I guess things are happening, because we have interest from two more editors, there are more editors who wanna talk on the phone, and my agent has set a closing date for sub. I honestly feel like I must be dreaming.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Helios - Aaahhh!!! How exciting! Congratulations, and enjoy the ride! Bask in this moment. I've learnt that it's these moments that truly make the experience. The Call, the offer, the Twitter announcement...enjoy them all, you deserve it!!!

Rob - I think going to a second round doesn't necessarily mean the first one is well and truly over, especially if you haven't heard back from a few editors. There's still a chance you might hear back from them. Not sure if this counts, but with the book that sold, we didn't hear back from the editor for weeks, because she went on vacation right after we sent the revised MS. So there may still be a chance, though my advice as always is to consider everything a rejection, so that when you do get an offer, it comes as an awesome surprise. Best of luck on round 2!

Sonya - That sucks, and I feel that's yet another reason why you need an agent, honestly. I hope you land yourself a real shark, one who's able to advocate for you.

My current WIP is going so well. I haven't felt such a rush of writing joy for quite a while now. I'm even looking forward to each writing session. It feels so good to be reminded of the love of writing, and what got me started on this journey in the first place. It's going so well that I haven't even thought of the MS which I sent to my agent last week, which is nothing short of miraculous, because normally I'd be obsessing over it and going, "WHY IS THERE NO REPLY OMG SHE HATES ITTT!!" :D

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck wishes to anyone on sub who needs it at the moment!

Putputt – Thank you. :heart: I definitely know the feeling of loving a new manuscript! Also sort of annoying when your current book suddenly feels like homework. :( I’m having so much fun with a future book, but I have to get my current series finished (and published!) first. It’s Tuesday evening here, and now six days without a response. It’s a bit scary to not be sure of what’s going on with my contracts …

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
We-ell I guess things are happening, because we have interest from two more editors, there are more editors who wanna talk on the phone, and my agent has set a closing date for sub. I honestly feel like I must be dreaming.

Yay!!!!!!! :hooray::hooray::hooray:

This moment is the BEST in the whole business, so enjoy every crazy second of it! So excited for you, and keep us posted!

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score

Holy crap. Is that an auction? It smells like an auction... Congratulations!

I see that Earthling is doing this whole #Meetthe2020s thing on Twitter for people debuting next year. Is there anyone else here participating? I'm notoriously bad at following, but I'll try to follow people here.

polishmuse

I'm a cookie
Registered
Reaction score
(I may have to join that? Still working out details and waiting for last few responses. deadline is technically this weeeeek)

Had other GOOD NEWS yesterday and just generally feeling great and very "this is happening!" Trying to soak it in because it can be a long time between bouts of happy news.

helios

Registered
Reaction score
Holy crap. Is that an auction? It smells like an auction... Congratulations!

I have no idea...but I hope so! We are up to five interested editors now, no rejections, and I've had several phone calls...but also no official offers yet. Lots of meetings scheduled. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

polishmuse =AMAZING! Congratulations! Does this mean you have an offer(s)?

Sparverius

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.essahansen.com
It feels like there's been so much good news this year! I've not been posting, but still cheering everyone on from the lurk. :e2cheer:

JeanGenie

Such a Greenie
Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea...but I hope so! We are up to five interested editors now, no rejections, and I've had several phone calls...but also no official offers yet. Lots of meetings scheduled. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Woho! Congrats!!!

What kind of book is this, with respect to genre and age group?

helios

Registered
Reaction score
Woho! Congrats!!!

What kind of book is this, with respect to genre and age group?

I'm trying to be a bit discreet in public about my identity since 'sub fight club' and all, but I'll DM you.

januarycomet

Registered
Reaction score
Welp I am officially on sub again! Third time's the uh... nevermind lol.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Welp I am officially on sub again! Third time's the uh... nevermind lol.

I can definitely take a while. For me, it was fourth submission on the second agent before it finally took, so... yeah...

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
This thread seemed to change from doom and gloom to major success! I hope that next week I open it and see amazing things. I'm more excited for internet people on the other side of the world than I ever was for ME.

I don't know if the horrific fires in Australia are making the world news, but - ugh. The entire region around us in Canberra (the capital city) is on fire. For the last few days there have been planes flying back and forth above us, going to the reservoirs nearby to fill up, and then going back to dump water on the fires.

(I might be a little doomy and gloomy: it has been over a week since I sent my last email to my publisher, and it's now Friday evening - with no response … I'd kind of like to know what's going on, but I'm a small cog in a big wheel, and this is … not fun ...)

Last edited: