• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Dang it, I've used the same technique three times...

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in final edits. Three times my characters are having a heated discussion when they turn around and a person involved in what they are talking about is standing there.

I'm sure readers will notice. But all three fit in the scenes. Help, I need an alternative.

Here's the third:
“And now I’m supposed to understand what Mark went through?”
Mom was staring behind me toward the door. I turned. Mark was standing there.

The other two incidents are very similar. Surely there has to be more ways writers can present a similar situation than this one.

Thank you all in advance whether you can help me or not.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I'm of no help but it occurs to me that if one of your characters is always involved in this dynamic, they could say "I don't know why this reputation follows me around," or something to that effect....

(ya'know, humor.. But it would have to fit your style and the tone of the book...)

blackcat777

Registered
Reaction score
If there is one character specifically with a tendency to put his foot in his mouth, you could play it up. Not sure if that's applicable to all of your situations, though.

Davy The First

Registered
Reaction score
Technically, there may be options. (He spoke, the door sound opening or whatever) but is that the true concern?

Maybe your concern is using that particular technique three times?

It's possible, but might be risky. Less risky if they are well spaced out in the novel, and if all three have an essential dynamic.

But the walking in one others speaking thingy is hard to pull off if there isn't real energy in the scene.

A simple solution is to choose one scene where a complete alternative is possible, ie the person interrupting doesn't need to know the big issue, there and then.

Usually technical reevaluations indicate a deeper structural concerns - but not always.

Best of luck with it.

D

Last edited:

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
You might also consider making it obvious that you've done it again... "Oh there's Joe." Oh my God we've done it again! What is it about that guy that he always seems to show up when we're talking about him?

There's a saying in the engineering field... if you can't fix it, feature it.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You might also consider making it obvious that you've done it again... "Oh there's Joe." Oh my God we've done it again! What is it about that guy that he always seems to show up when we're talking about him?

There's a saying in the engineering field... if you can't fix it, feature it.

Now there's an idea. It's twice with the same person walking up and once with another. I could have someone complain about the character always sneaking up.

Thanks to all of you, I'll try calling attention to it.

Last edited:

raine_d

Registered
Reaction score
Does it say something about me that the third time, I want them to turn around... and there's no one there? :D

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Does it say something about me that the third time, I want them to turn around... and there's no one there? :D

It says you understand how the rule of three works. The third time a pattern repeats, it should be different from the other two--a reversal, a twist, an amplification, or (in humor) a punchline.

@MaeZe: Consider doing something different with the third instance.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It says you understand how the rule of three works. The third time a pattern repeats, it should be different from the other two--a reversal, a twist, an amplification, or (in humor) a punchline.

@MaeZe: Consider doing something different with the third instance.

Can it be with the second one? :tongue

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
Hard to answer what a different technique would be without knowing what you are trying to achieve with the scene. Is it that Mark learns a secret? That the character speaking is embarrassed? Or simply a way to abruptly end the conversation? Obviously there are lots of ways to achieve any of those.

But anyway, I don't think I'd really notice.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hard to answer what a different technique would be without knowing what you are trying to achieve with the scene. Is it that Mark learns a secret? That the character speaking is embarrassed? Or simply a way to abruptly end the conversation? Obviously there are lots of ways to achieve any of those.

But anyway, I don't think I'd really notice.
Not a secret, more like what Brin is feeling that she (like so many women) kept to herself around him, deferring to his emotional needs.

In another situation Mark is complaining that Mayer, the person with Brin, is dangerous saying, "How do you know he won't [threat described]?" And Mayer interrupts them saying, "Because I could have and didn't." They turn to see him standing there when they thought he was out of earshot.

The third one is similar, Mark is angry and telling Brin off when Mayer shows up to defend her.

I know this looks like Mark is an insensitive jerk but it's just imperfect characters working themselves out. :tongue

Last edited:

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
So the common thread is that a character would have felt inhibited about saying something, if they knew the eavesdropper was listening.

So the answer could be, what other ways can the character feel uninhibited? Drunkenness? Emotionally pushed to the breaking point? All three characters could be present in the conversation from the outset if you give another motivation for breaking from their usual patterns.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
Another possibility is for the plot point to be achieved some way other than dialogue. For example, Brin could learn that Mayer "could have" on her own without being told. And then she could be the one to point this out to Mark (assuming it's important for him to have this information too).

blackcat777

Registered
Reaction score
Or would narration allow you to follow the character that "could have" but never did, thus cluing in the reader, but leaving your other characters out of the loop?

Then your characters could speculate would have/could have/should have, meanwhile the reader knows. Interesting if the character being discussed overhears but chooses not to comment.

/random brainstorming

Davy The First

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in final edits. Three times my characters are having a heated discussion when they turn around and a person involved in what they are talking about is standing there.

I'm sure readers will notice. But all three fit in the scenes. Help, I need an alternative.

Here's the third:

The other two incidents are very similar. Surely there has to be more ways writers can present a similar situation than this one.

Thank you all in advance whether you can help me or not.

Lol. Did you change the title of the thread, from 'phrase' to 'technique', or am I jut blind?

LuckyStar

Registered
Reaction score
This is reminding me of something I've been noticing in my ms. Whenever food is involved, a character mentions how the food smells.
"Something smells good."
"Sure smells good."
"Smells great."
Etc.

I've been trying to change it up, so I have, "Looks good." instead. :roll:

I'll have to work on rewording, but I'm drawing a blank for now.

I think we all use patterns when we write. We just have to decide where continuity becomes redundancy.

Clovitide

Registered
Reaction score
I like all of these suggestions, but if you decide no, you want something else, an idea struck me. So, instead of them appearing behind the group, of the person call someone and then when they hang up, the person goes on a rant about whoever was on the phone, just to find out the call has not ended. I did that once with my mother. Someone from her work had called her and she put on her fake, nice voice, then right when the call ended she began cursing the chick out. So me, being a comedian, said, "Mom, you're still on the phone." And my mom freaked out. Funniest thing ever, it was great.