My touchpad on my computer won't work!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
Hello.

I am writing you guys from my tablet because my touchpad won't work on my computer. My computer froze, and when I restarted it, put in my password and went to the desktop, my cursor disappeared! I have a Toshiba Satellite and they say on their website to press FN+F9 but when I do that, it doesn't work. I also tried to perform a system recovery, but when I pressed F8 before Windows started, it didn't work, either. What do I do?
-maggie

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Kind of hard to troubleshoot like this but what was the last thing you remember doing before it froze? Windows update? Software install/update? Writing in Scrivener, Word? Surfing the web? What site were you on? What browser were you using?

From a hardware perspective - can you try an external mouse? We’re there any firmware updates recently? Does everything else still work? (Keyboards, secondary monitors, printers, etc)? Did you recently buy anything new that connects to the affected device?

If you can use the keyboard, google kb shortcuts for mouse clicks. These can be a godsend when troubleshooting...

Keep us posted and good luck :)

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Happened to me after a major Win2K upgrade, which I did with an external mouse attached. The system thought I didn't need the touchpad when it rebooted. Took a while to find the pad in the system settings and enable it again.

-cb

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, guys.

Last night I turned on the computer and I went to Google, looking for a solution. I pressed FN+F5 and it refreshed the page. I saw the touch pad icon on the F5, and when I pressed it, voila, my touch pad was enabled again. It said on the support website in a Toshiba blog to press FN+F9, but F9 doesn't do anything. I saw a video on YouTube that explained things about the F keys at the top of the keyboard, and it said to find the F key that had the touch pad icon. I pressed it and solved my problem. By the way, it was right after a Windows Update. I was on YouTube and the computer froze and it got really weird.

Thank you for your help.
-maggie.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, the latest update to Windows 10, which took for-freakin'-ever, reset a bunch of stuff on my laptop, so it wasn't just you. It suddenly wants my PIN instead of my password to log in, the volume is turned way up, and no doubt there are other fun changes I have yet to discover.

Glad you got it solved!

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, the latest update to Windows 10, which took for-freakin'-ever, reset a bunch of stuff on my laptop, so it wasn't just you. It suddenly wants my PIN instead of my password to log in, the volume is turned way up, and no doubt there are other fun changes I have yet to discover.

Glad you got it solved!

Windows 10 was supposed to be a good replacement for the awful Windows 8, but what it does is to drive computers crazy.

Touchpads are the work of Satan, and are why God created the cordless mouse.

caw

:ROFL:

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
I am replying because I'm having that problem again and this time, pressing FN+F5 won't work

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I am replying because I'm having that problem again and this time, pressing FN+F5 won't work

Try F5 alone, if that's the key with the touch pad icon.

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, guys.

First of all I want to thank you for all your help. You guys are amazing. That's why I always come here for help. So I tried F5 alone and it worked. My touchpad is activated again, but I don't know why Windows keeps disabling it. It's annoying. You're right, blacbird, this has only happened to me on Windows 10, never on Windows 8, 7 or XP. The computer I had before this one had Windows XP on it and then something happened to the OS and I had to switch to Ubuntu. I think I'm going to just downgrade to Windows 7. I don't like Windows 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.