Status
Not open for further replies.

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
I figured out why the agent backed off when I told him that my novel was a former POD - apparently this agent is known to direct some clients toward iUniverse, a related entity of AuthorHouse. When I mentioned traditional publishing for my former POD, that was the last I heard of him.

Therefore, I still believe in the honesty angle, and stand by ResearchGuy's sage advice.

StephenJSweeney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforthesolarsystem.com
Thought I'd jump into this thread with some thoughts and experiences of my own.

About a year or so ago, I published the first book in my sci-fi saga, The Honour of the Knights, and have successfully had it shelved in branches of Waterstone's in England (about 12 branches).

Some stores sell through nicely (of the 1 or 2 they buy in). Others have, sadly, been sitting on the shelf since they were brought in. Still, the sales are still happening on Amazon and other online stores, and Waterstone's are buying in.

Recently, I attended Eastercon 2010 in London and met a major publisher there. I told them about my books and what I'd done and they asked me to post them to them. Yep - they wanted to read my self published POD novel.

Sadly, this morning they came back with a rejection, but I never truly expected them to do otherwise. They say they enjoyed reading it and thought the characters were well developed, but there wasn't much place for it on their list.

So, what am I doing now? I'm actually finishing up a total re-write of the first book, since it doesn't marry up with a major style change I made during the writing of the second. I'm also working in tweaks based on the feedback I've received from the POD version.

I'm planning to approach the agents again with the rewrite and seeing how that works out. Likely I'll mention the reception of the first and that several branches of Waterstone's have been happy to stock and sell it... but, we'll see what happens. I think the key to agent interest will be that the book has been quite well received, but has also been re-written.

In my humble opinion, whilst the first edition of Knights was great for a self pubbed novel, it's quality is below what would be expected of commercial standards. So that's another reason the rewrite has happened.

And I'm also FAR happier with the rewrite than the first edition. It's clearly a much stronger novel.

But we'll see.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
. . . When I mentioned traditional publishing . . . .
Be cautious about that phrase "traditional publishing," which the notorious vanity press PublishAmerica adopted for itself.

Anyway, it is not at all clear what constitutes "traditional publishing." By historic standards, it could not be the market control by a handful of giant conglomerate publishers. Self-publishing and independent publishing have much, much longer traditions. The better term is probably "commercial publishing."

--Ken

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
Thanks for the lingo clarification, Ken, I'll use 'commercial publishing' here forward. It definitely pinpoints what type of representation I'm seeking.

Status
Not open for further replies.