The Australian Spontaneous Politician Combustion thread

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Damn.

*insert joke about there being only 27 ex-prime ministers left alive now*

I know this is insufferably narcissistic, but Hawke, being the first Prime Minister I remember, will always be the ur-PM to me. The platonic ideal of what a PM should be. He had his flaws, but he had his moral centre as well. Do PMs even have those any more?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Completely wrong thread for this, but:

Vale Bob Hawke

I thought the old bugger would live forever.

I thought the same about Gough, and I reckon he almost did.
whereever they are is where I want to end up. If Fraser is also there - just for the opposing view

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Helix - you know the big planter box on my courtyard with the cyclamens in it? That came from Hawkie's house back when he was married to Hazel. I will stick a candle there for you.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm ready. This might not be pretty. I'm predicting a Morrison win and a swing to the hard right.
Because I have misjudged my fellow Australians at literally every election since 1994

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Right, people. Three hours and forty-five minutes to go on the east coast. Are we ready?

No.

I'm mentally preparing for this to go more the way of the NSW state election than the Vic one.

And I wish I didn't have the flu right now, because I can't even drink away my misery tonight in the event of disaster.

Eta: it probably doesn't help that I'm in qld atm , so the mood is more ON and UAP than ALP and greens.

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
May need to make a stop at the bottle shop on the way home, because I'm unsure this election deserves the good wine. But I'm still at work. (Yes, I actually had an excuse to vote early. I'm not sure about the other 4,499,999 of you, what's your excuse?)

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Phew, home.

Which network has the least worst panel? Keep in mind I can only get Seven and Nine at my place (and SBS, but the cheap bastards don't have a panel, just a 'news special' at 10 pm! I'll be blotto by then!)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Phew, home.

Which network has the least worst panel? Keep in mind I can only get Seven and Nine at my place (and SBS, but the cheap bastards don't have a panel, just a 'news special' at 10 pm! I'll be blotto by then!)
Guardian Australia says: If you’re still undecided about where to watch the election coverage (and intend to double-screen Politics Live, obviously), here’s a list of which politicians will be offering their skills as commentator to which TV channel.
Channel Nine: Julie Bishop, Tanya Plibersek, Anthony Albanese, Brigid McKenzie.
Channel Seven: Chris Bowen, Jenny McAllister, Michaelia Cash, Craig Laundy.
Sky: Mathias Cormann, Richard Marles
ABC: Penny Wong, Arthur Sinodinos
Chanel Ten: Kristina Keneally, Trent Zimmerman

Guardian Australia also has a nice live-feed.

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
And we're off!

Am watching on ABC, because Penny Wong. Also I can cope with Sinodinos, as long as he's got his memory back. I don't think I'd be able to manage any of those other Coalition fuckwits.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Guardian Australia says: If you’re still undecided about where to watch the election coverage (and intend to double-screen Politics Live, obviously), here’s a list of which politicians will be offering their skills as commentator to which TV channel.
Channel Nine: Julie Bishop, Tanya Plibersek, Anthony Albanese, Brigid McKenzie.
Channel Seven: Chris Bowen, Jenny McAllister, Michaelia Cash, Craig Laundy.
Sky: Mathias Cormann, Richard Marles
ABC: Penny Wong, Arthur Sinodinos
Chanel Ten: Kristina Keneally, Trent Zimmerman

Guardian Australia also has a nice live-feed.

Jeez, most of those are almost tolerable. Even Seven, except for Cash. Wasn't it just last time they had a panel that had Alan Jones, Mark Latham AND Gerard Henderson on it? Or was that a nightmare I had? Talk about my Room 101.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Sky's panel also includes Credlin, Bolt, and Alan Jones. *shudders *

Hahaha. You'd have to pay me a lot to watch that shit. I mean, I technically could? I have Foxtel Now for Game of Thrones season, and you can get the Sky live feeds there. But I value these few remaining brain cells.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Maybe I'll turn over just as Bill looks a certainty, just to watch their souls die.

Gah! To paraphrase the west wing: Go outside, turn around three times, and spit! (Do not tempt the wrath of the whatever from high atop the thing!!)

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I'm keeping a close eye on the four North and Far North Queensland seats -- Kennedy (Katter), Leichhardt (Entsch), Herbert (currently held by Cathy O'Toole, ALP, by 30-something votes) and Dawson (Christensen). Katter will be back in, I expect, but I'd love to see Entsch and especially Christensen booted out.

The results are starting to come in for all of those except Herbert.