Check In- What Are You Doing?

Dysnomia

Drowning in the depthless sea
Registered
Reaction score
Telling myself to frikkin'. Start. Studying. For. The. Exam.

Plz, self :( No more writingggggggg, your graduation hinges on thissssssss

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Monday, and I had to get up early because of a lousy work Thing. (Some meeting about strategy or something. I take books out of boxes... that's about it. Unless there's going to be a library-wide initiative to pack the flippin' totes with bar codes up, I really can't say how I have anything of use to say here.) In theory, we'll be paid for our time, though. Might also get a token something for mileage... will find out. So, anyway, I'm trying to finish waking my brain up so I'm not a road hazard when I drive down there.

Didn't do any writing yesterday, but I got out of cooking lunch and dinner, so that's a plus.

Away I go.

ETA - Went to the meeting. Vaguely interesting, but rather a waste of time, if a paid waste of time. And no mention of mileage reimbursement. But I got myself lunch at Potbelly, with a cookie ('cause you gotta get the cookie), so that's something. And now I'm pretty much goofing off with my afternoon while my hindbrain mulls that short story. I would've mowed the lawn, but it's still a bit sprinkly with threats of rain; will get to that this weekend, as the forecast looks better.

Last edited:

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
I've given up on modelling for the night, my materials have failed me. Wanted to try my set of clay tools I bought about a year ago, but my clay dried out. Adding water went very wrong, so I reverted to the plasticine I bought for the kids but won't let them use because MESS! The tiny figure I made looks good in its set, when viewed from afar, but up close its a mess, the clay is dirty, and yellow, and just looks creepy in the test pics.

So I got a wish list for the craft store, once I've got a new job. In the meantime, wine cures all...

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I have an Apoxie project that's been waiting half a year for me to get back to it in my workshed, but the near-constant rains have made the path there a muddy death trap... (Actually, I have two projects, counting the one that still needs painting.) I enjoy it when I'm doing it, but somehow there's always something else to do. Like not breaking my neck on a muddy death trap path.

It's Tuesday, and it's been - take a guess - rainy. Again. Go figure. I've been mostly wasting time. I'm taking another run at that short, though I don't know if it's an improvement or not. Mostly I'm writing to keep myself writing, so I don't lose the momentum again.

I finished a quick Lynda course the other day on writing for the web, and how to present and organize information to reach the widest audience. It's depressing how what I consider basic literacy apparently counts as advanced literacy. (Rifftrax has an old short about "advanced" - fifth grade or so - reading, that mentioned skills such as different reading speeds, learning from context, and the ability to skim for specific information. Apparently, those are no longer skills one is expected, let alone required, to develop in elementary school.)

Dinner's going to be either leftovers or chicken strip and fry. Because I don't wanna shop today, dang it.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Wednesday, and I have to remember to take an allergy pill before work. Stupid sinuses... dunno that I've had three days in a row without them bugging me in some way this year.

Weather is gray and damp again, but it's supposed to clear up by the weekend. I'll believe it when I see it.

Gotta head out to work in a bit. If I'm ambitious, I'll leave early so I can gas up the car on the way in.

Off I wander...

amillimiles

Registered
Reaction score
I'm working from home today. It's a beautiful, bright day in NYC -- the type that makes you want to throw on a summer dress and flip flops and stroll about Central Park. I've been cooped up at home all morning, and have taken a lunch break to add some more writing posts/tips to my blog. Really trying to spruce it up.

I've also tried (and failed) to get completely into writing my next chapter. I find that I'm a nighttime writer -- my creative juices don't start flowing until after dark.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Wiled away a couple of hours looking at laptops. My trusty 2011 model Toshiba is acting like she wants to take a long break from life, and I'm hoping she'll hold on for a few more weeks. I can afford a new machine. I just don't want to take the time to deal with it right now. And it's far too easy to get tied up in drooling over new machines. I found one laptop maker (Falcon NW, if you're interested) that will custom-paint the chassis for you with auto-grade paint - for as much as $850 extra depending on the paint job. Still, some of the colors are gorgeous.

Got a (very) rough outline done of the first 15 chapters of Sad Girl Book 3 yesterday. Guess I should get back to work on editing Book 2 now.

Last edited:

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Feel like I'm coming down with a cold. Long rough day today. Sleep time soon, after a cup of tea I imagine.

MadAlice

We're all mad down here
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to plan this work out a bit before jumping into writing. I've done so much research into parasites, fungi, viruses, etc. that my eyes are going to explode. Trying to custom-design a fictional illness that sounds halfway plausible (only halfway) is more difficult than I thought.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I find that I'm a nighttime writer -- my creative juices don't start flowing until after dark.

I'm an evening/night writer, myself, not just because I'm marginally less likely to be bugged by family. (Makes it tough to write on work nights, though - if I get caught up writing, I don't notice the time. I once pulled a literal all-nighter without realizing it.)

Meandering through after a light work day and heavy shopping day. Still have to go out later this week, though; the car's a little low on power steering fluid, and the store I was at didn't have any. Now I'm chilling after a healthy, balanced lunch of chocolate cookies and Cheez-its while leftover stew simmers on the stove. (Reminds me, I should poke that soon...) My brain's picking at that recent short and mulling another one, based on parts of a dream from last night. (I also dreamed of a store selling collector's edition, glow-in-the-dark My Little Ponies, which I still think would be danged awesome if they existed in real life.)

Guess I'll mosey along.

Dysnomia

Drowning in the depthless sea
Registered
Reaction score
Tearing my hair out from my stupid chi squared values and p values not making sense :(

RLGreenleaf

Ummm, just one more chapter...
Registered
Reaction score
Dysnomia:

Probability?

Or as I call it: perhaps-ability. :)

Class or work? :)

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Wondering if MS Word is a means of torture disguised as software.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thursday drifts away under a hazy sky.

Work was light. Got out an hour early, but they're doing a software "thing" tonight, so I'm anticipating Issues tomorrow. Eh, well - I get paid the same to sit in the break room as to work...

After shopping my way home (and still getting home about the time I would've if I left work on time - we got out that early), I intended to settle in with lunch and a little websurfing, but instead I wound up heading out again. Mom's glasses broke, so we took them down to where she bought them... to be told, rather rudely (uncharacteristically so, for this place), that they wouldn't touch the frames. I expected them to try selling her new glasses, but it was like they just didn't want her in their shop. And so we set off to the only glasses repair place in the area - possibly the entire half of the state, though it's within driving distance of us, fortunately. It's in a weird little part of a fast-growing city, but I managed to find it on the first try (I always guess the wrong street)... and then, after forty minutes waiting for the repair, the glasses apparently snapped again as the man picked them up to give them to her. So that took a little while to repair. Then it was back through the rush hour crawl (not as bad as it could've been), a quick stop for lunch-that-was-dinner at Potbelly (yes, with the cookie - gotta have the cookie), and home.

Eh, well. Nice weather, and I had my Kindle.

At this point, I figure plans for Thursday productivity are officially scrapped. Will likely goof off in Titan Quest or otherwise waste time.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been "stuck" for awhile, so I started reading a tonne of books. I'm still devoted to my #1 WIP but it's driving me nuts not being able to write. Last night when I went to bed at about oh 1am an idea for an entire novel popped into my head. Start to finish. Beginning and ending I bolted awake grabbed my spiral book and wrote it all down in point form. Today I started a new novel and feeling good. It's like a dam breaking!

heykatydid

Business Lumberjack
Registered
Reaction score
I've been "stuck" for awhile, so I started reading a tonne of books. I'm still devoted to my #1 WIP but it's driving me nuts not being able to write. Last night when I went to bed at about oh 1am an idea for an entire novel popped into my head. Start to finish. Beginning and ending I bolted awake grabbed my spiral book and wrote it all down in point form. Today I started a new novel and feeling good. It's like a dam breaking!

I read a lot when I am stuck as well! Sometimes it helps me find new ways to approach a topic... and sometimes it teaches me more things I don't want to do because I don't personally like reading them. :) Congrats on the new idea!

I wish I wasn't so tired from my job all the time. It's very difficult when a job drains 100% of your creativity so you have none for yourself when you get home. I'm hoping this evens out a bit in the coming weeks so I have more energy to devote to writing.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am feeling very Rookwoodish. This Day 6 of the worst lurgey ever and I'm dividing my time between bed and AW. Can somebody bring me soup?

Last edited:

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I am feeling very Rookwoodish. This Day 6 of the worst lurgey ever and I'm dividing my time between bed and AW. Can somebody bring me soup?
Sending you some of my orange soup. AKA pumpkin and sweet potato soup. And warm woolly socks. And :Hug2: . Get well soon.

ETA shit I forgot the carrots!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sending you some of my orange soup. AKA pumpkin and sweet potato soup. And warm woolly socks. And :Hug2: . Get well soon.

ETA shit I forgot the carrots!

I'll send it back so you can add carrots, and also some brandy would be nice. Brandy is very restorative, so I've heard. I need some restoring.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I'll send it back so you can add carrots, and also some brandy would be nice. Brandy is very restorative, so I've heard. I need some restoring.
Ok, carrots and a bottle o' brandy added. Good luck :) .