The Girl Stuff Thread

Articulate Lady

Seductive Artist of Words and Ideas
Registered
Reaction score
That's a lot of it for me, too. When I was younger, I cared more what judgment people would make of me, based on my appearance. As I've matured, I came around to what people had been saying all along, that who I am isn't how I look.

Oddly, though, I tend to wear makeup every day when we're vacationing or traveling for any reason. Like, I'm never going to see these people again, so it's important they think well of my appearance. Logic and I are complete strangers, huh?

Maryn, whose kid teaches logic, among other things

You know that's funny. I do the same exact thing. When on vacation, I am wearing making up every day, even to go get ICE???!!! I mean how stupid and weird is that? What if I see NO ONE in the DAMN hallway? But then some handsome stranger could leave his room and meet me in hallway at the Ice Machine?? "Meet-Cute" anyone???

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Guys. This. I am not even kidding.

https://ashleyblackguru.com/

I don't even quite know what to tell you it's for, because it's for so many things. The two main uses are for easing the pain of fibromyalsia and the reduction of cellulite.

I'm 47 and in good shape, but I've always had cellulite on the back of my thighs and butt. Well, until about five weeks ago, that is. It's changing. My whole body is changing. It's crazy. My husband, who I demand honesty from about these things, is so amazed, he's using the damned things. I wish I could tell you how astonishing that is.

All I can tell you is that the transformations you'll see as examples, they're real. I can see it starting to happen in my own body after five weeks. Plus, I feel great. I'm under a book deadline and I really think my nightly rub downs are making me feel so physically good. Normally, all this sitting and not moving would be grueling.

I do my feet and hands. It sounded so silly when they were recommending it for bunions, but I started three weeks ago on my feet (just once or twice a week) and I haven't had any pain in my foot since I started. And my toe is starting to come back into line.

It's crazy.

I have the big one and the one for the face. Don't get me started on the face. What it's done is nothing short of remarkable.

It's, by far, the best thing I've ever bought.

sockycat

Registered
Reaction score
Really, never? I get called routinely as soon as it's allowable by law. It used to be every six years, but now it's eight. I've never been selected to be on a jury, though.

I have a beauty products question. I was using Bare Minerals powdered foundation and matching loose powder, but when I ran out of the foundation, a salesperson convinced me to try Urban Decay Naked Skin, which I like better. Now I'm out of the loose powder. Any recommendations? Shine is a big issue for me.

Maryn, still oily at an advanced age

Okay, realizing this is an old comment, but in case you're still looking-

I was a pur minerals addict for a while. Their powder foundation worked best for me.

Eventually I just made the switch to liquid. When I know I need a matte face all day I use my lancome foundation. It's expensive, but that shit stays ON. A good, matte liquid foundation + beauty blender has always outperformed any type of powder for me. I usually just set it with some silicone translucent powder from NYX that costs like bucks, but sometimes I forget to set it and the foundation still stays in place. It's wild. I think they make that stuff out of unicorns.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ha, I have found my old thread. Btw, everyone is welcome, not just "girls," if it even needs saying.

So, has anyone tried Latisse (or the generic, bimatoprost)? With age, I assume, my eyelashes seem to have practically disappeared. So I got some bimatoprost a couple of months ago and oh yes, it works.

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So I have thinning lashes. Those that remain are the longest they've ever been, but there's less of them. I didn't know there was a thing I could do other than turn back time. (I'm working on it, but it's not going so well.) Latisse, however, looks pretty expensive and one of the side effects is dry eye, which I already have to the level of frequent discomfort. I will have to weigh my options.

Tell me more about the peel. What level stuff does it take off? As I age, I have one facial dark spot and a small number of scaly spots less than a quarter inch in diameter. (Lovely, just lovely.) The dark spot covers with makeup, and the scalies are more about feel than appearance--but I'd love to see them both gone. Would a peel do that?

Maryn, also fretting about eyebrows

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, the peels will take off what you mentioned.

Last edited:

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Do any of you know of a brand that makes a powder foundation with good coverage and comes in super-light shades? I have pretty nice skin, so don't need concealer-style coverage, just something that evens the tones a little bit. Note that my skin is so light most drug store brands don't make foundation light enough. I don't care if it's kind of expensive as long as it's nice, since I wear make-up pretty infrequently, so one container lasts me ages.

Thanks in advance from someone who hates make-up, shopping, and especially shopping for make-up. lol

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I am having a hard time organizing my thoughts tonight. Okay, I guess I just don't understand why specifically "powder foundation" when there seem to be far fewer choices in those than in the liquid foundations. Especially when you are already having a hard time finding a shade that's light enough for your complexion, it seems like making it even harder. Is there some reason it has to be a powder foundation?

ETA: I just googled "foundation for pale skin" and apparently it is quite a problem finding light enough foundation. So if you google it, maybe you'll find a good starting place. And especially with something like that, I'd spend more and go to a cosmetics counter, where you can try before you buy, with help from a trained salesperson. I don't know how many discount store foundations I've ended up tossing because they weren't right. Now I just shell out the money and get it right the first time at the cosmetics counters, when it comes to foundation (Clinique, Lancôme, Estee Lauder etc.) Good luck.

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Kid steered me toward a makeup blog she reads that tries out pale-skin products and reports back. Hmm. I don't seem to have saved the link, but it might be My Pale Skin. Or Hopelessly Pale.

If you find a powdered foundation that matches, please share its brand and the shade. Both our daughters have a dislike for liquid foundation (as do I) and they'd probably like to try it. I know Bare Minerals didn't go light enough for them, although I liked it best for a couple of years.

I'm using Urban Decay Naked these days, but I'm covering rosacea and don't try to match my skin tone but correct it, which is a whole other thing. Here's their palette: https://www.urbandecay.com/naked-sk...ay/UD508.html?cgid=14_301#start=1&cgid=14_301 The lightest one looks awfully pink.

Have you gone to a store that puts makeup on you? I had that done once at Ulta, just foundation, which is how I got into Bare Minerals--and that's where a super-made-up store employee got me to try Urban Decay instead. (Too often people my age are invisible at Ulta.)

RoseDG

Registered
Reaction score
I use NeuLash -- it's a department store lash booster. My grandma actually asked if I was wearing false lashes! Total win!

Don't know much about powder foundation, though. I use powder to set liquid foundation, but my skin is too dry to look good with powder alone.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
After some light research, old blue eyes here is scared of both Latisse and NeuLash, because they contain the ingredient that has the potential to permanently darken the iris. Scary! There are also some counter-indications for people who had dry eye, which I do.

Just call me stubby-lashes, huh?

RoseDG

Registered
Reaction score
After some light research, old blue eyes here is scared of both Latisse and NeuLash, because they contain the ingredient that has the potential to permanently darken the iris. Scary! There are also some counter-indications for people who had dry eye, which I do.

Just call me stubby-lashes, huh?

Yeah, if I didn't have very dark brown eyes, I'd probably worry too. Then again, the girl who sold it to me had beautiful baby blues and used the stuff.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I am having a hard time organizing my thoughts tonight. Okay, I guess I just don't understand why specifically "powder foundation" when there seem to be far fewer choices in those than in the liquid foundations. Especially when you are already having a hard time finding a shade that's light enough for your complexion, it seems like making it even harder. Is there some reason it has to be a powder foundation?
Yeah, it has to be powder because the wet, sticky feel of liquid foundation totally grosses me out putting it on and the heavy feeling on my face continues to annoy me until I wash it off. Maybe kind of weird, but I've known other people who felt the same.

The Kid steered me toward a makeup blog she reads that tries out pale-skin products and reports back. Hmm. I don't seem to have saved the link, but it might be My Pale Skin. Or Hopelessly Pale.

If you find a powdered foundation that matches, please share its brand and the shade. Both our daughters have a dislike for liquid foundation (as do I) and they'd probably like to try it. I know Bare Minerals didn't go light enough for them, although I liked it best for a couple of years.

I'm using Urban Decay Naked these days, but I'm covering rosacea and don't try to match my skin tone but correct it, which is a whole other thing. Here's their palette: https://www.urbandecay.com/naked-sk...ay/UD508.html?cgid=14_301#start=1&cgid=14_301 The lightest one looks awfully pink.

Have you gone to a store that puts makeup on you? I had that done once at Ulta, just foundation, which is how I got into Bare Minerals--and that's where a super-made-up store employee got me to try Urban Decay instead. (Too often people my age are invisible at Ulta.)
Urban Decay doesn't look nearly light enough, especially since my skin tones are neutral, but as soon as I finish NaNo tonight I will see if I can hunt down that blog you mentioned.

I've never been to a store that lets you sample make-up like you described. I live in a pretty small town, so it's possible we don't have places like that. Also possible I just don't know about them, lol.

I'll definitely update if I find anything.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, there's a product failure. For the first time, I spent a bit on an anti-aging product, in this case L'Oreal Revitalift Triple Power Concentrated Serum. It's just now starting to pump with difficulty, meaning it's about gone. Zero difference. Really, none at all. It was supposed to have visibly improved texture and tone in one week, reduced wrinkles in four. None of that happened. Goodbye, twenty-five bucks.

tembers

Registered
Reaction score
Well, there's a product failure. For the first time, I spent a bit on an anti-aging product, in this case L'Oreal Revitalift Triple Power Concentrated Serum. It's just now starting to pump with difficulty, meaning it's about gone. Zero difference. Really, none at all. It was supposed to have visibly improved texture and tone in one week, reduced wrinkles in four. None of that happened. Goodbye, twenty-five bucks.

Sorry to read that, Maryn. Getting ripped off at the beauty bar is not fun. But I love this thread, love all things beauty.

I grew up in a house of women and we shared rooms so we could devote one bedroom to makeup. I'm Just giving you an idea of how this obsession started. My oldest sister had her cosmetology license, as did my mother, so we had a beauty salon (don't think they're still called that) in the basement. To this day, I'm pretty sure none of us goes out without at least a little makeup on. I've been judged about my obsession plenty by girlfriends who don't get it, but they just can't begin to understand. There's one thing about beauty and makeup I can count on and that's a little bit of creative play every morning. What color will my lips be today? Is it an eye shadow day or not? Am I feeling like showing the world a friendly or bitchy face? All can be had with a brush and a tube.

As for aging creams, I've found that it pays to spend the big bucks and go to a professional. She taught me that there are three levels to beauty products: over-the-counter, spa grade or medical grade. All three might have the very same ingredient but the OTC contains only a drop while the medical grade gives you the wallop you need to get the job done. It might not be the cheapest way to go but you won't be throwing your money in the trash!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What color will my lips be today? Blue! (It's very cold.)

I think you're right, that the OTC stuff just doesn't give much bang for the buck. And I really wish it were acceptable to look good for one's years (I have plenty!) instead of trying to look younger than you are.

In any case, I'm wearing makeup far more than I used to. I figure if my eyes look great, maybe you won't examine my upper lip too closely, right?

tembers

Registered
Reaction score
What color will my lips be today? Blue! (It's very cold.)

I think you're right, that the OTC stuff just doesn't give much bang for the buck. And I really wish it were acceptable to look good for one's years (I have plenty!) instead of trying to look younger than you are.

In any case, I'm wearing makeup far more than I used to. I figure if my eyes look great, maybe you won't examine my upper lip too closely, right?
It's cold here too! But my lips are pinky beige.

Nothing wrong with looking good at our age instead of trying to look young. My own comparisons to my younger self are hard enough to resist. I don't need to add anyone else's.

And I don't understand what happened to the upper lip. It seems like there's more space now between nose and upper lip. Maybe it fell...

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's exactly the sort of product I'd never have known about were it not for this thread. Thanks! I have tinted moisturizer that I sometimes use instead of foundation makeup, but it irritates my eyes if I get it very close, so those lovely lavender-grey circles don't get tinted. Can you use the Velvet right up to the lashes?

Yesterday was the "good" day to run errands--no snow, temps over 25--and I picked up a new base coat for nail polish. I used it last night and it seems okay so far, but the truth will be in whether the manicure lasts longer than it does with the L'Oreal basecoat I didn't much care for. It's an Orly product, the color of orange sherbet but see-through, and it purports to be rubberized. Is that good? Shrug. Anyway, I have a new Zoya polish on, one of those colors that's just adding strength and not meant to get a lot of attention, a sort of pinkish beige-ish tone.

Our daughter is visiting next week. I'll put on purple or something before her arrival. She teases me about blah color choices.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Right...I've got a problem with dry, irritated skin in a specific place -- under & between my breasts.

I've noticed it towards the end of November. A few things: I do not normally wear a bra, except for shows (dinner theatre and then it's a sports bra). After my last show in Dec when I really got frustrated by it, I thought "Maybe I should get a larger size! It could be that I've outgrown it and it's chafing me." I figured in the meantime, since I had a several weeks break between shows, I could then hit myself with moisturizing lotion and allow myself time to heal.

And it really hasn't. I don't overwash or over scrub. I've been using Simple Sugars on that one area when I shower and Cetaphil as my lotion of choice before bed. I'm not feeling any lumps or any other "red flags".

Thoughts? I'll be seeing my dermatologist next month anyways, but it's annoying.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The fact that you've got dry irritated skin there and it's not from a bra is concerning. Not like Eek!-level concern, but like what the hell? Usually anything going on there is bra-related, right?

I can't see how any scrub is likely to help if it hasn't already. If it were me, I'd consider only the Cetaphil for a couple of weeks. And see a dermatologist, which you already have planned.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Maryn, I'm not sure --I wear glasses because I'd walk into walls without 'em, so don't try very hard to blend it up to my eyes.

RedRajah, yes, mention it to your dermatologist--but I've found that my skin has changed with the years and that I have to moisturize my chest and upper arms as the weather gets colder, or else I break out in what looks like mosquito bites and itch like crazy. So it might not be anything too worrisome--just annoying.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I think I may have stumbled on a treatment for my spot. Made a paste w/a tsp of raw honey & ground turmeric and applied it to the area for twenty minutes a couple days ago.

The redness and irritation have gone down and the dryness seems to be healing. I don't know if it's placebo or what, but I'll take it.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, if it works, it works, whether it's the placebo effect or something else. I'm glad it's improved! Not as glad as I imagine you are, of course.

Maryn, big fan of success