George Floyd

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
What that photo up tells about this POTUS.

‘He’s holding the Bible upside down’: Trump called out for church photo op amid George Floyd protests
https://www.freepressjournal.in/wor...or-church-photo-op-amid-george-floyd-protests

He had ONE job at that photo op. Just ONE...

-cb

I saw a post online somewhere commenting that, in movies, a crucifix flipping upside-down was often a sign that evil was afoot in the vicinity.

Just throwin' that out there FWIW...

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trump used both Church and Bible as props to validate his atrocities. Don't let's get bogged down on whether he was holding the Bible the right way up - that's such a meaningless sideshow.

The atrocities are the point.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And shortly after some of those uplifting moments, police gassed and/or beat the peaceful protesters and media.

Sorry to be a downer, but some of that was just for show. I'm still seeing videos of cops violently attacking peaceful protesters, even those who are kneeling, restrained, fleeing.

Some of those stories might be true but the part of "right after" is at a minimum very misleading, and at a maximum, it's crap.

With the exception of DC and a few right-wing states/cities and I don't know those cops ever empathized with protestors, the harder line took place after the peaceful protests were over, or were winding down and the looting and vandalism started.

Last edited:

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Some of those stories might be true but the part of "right after" is at a minimum very misleading, and at a maximum, it's crap.
"Right after" is in quotation marks, but I didn't say that, so who is being misleading? That's not me accusing you of being misleading. It's me asking who you are saying is being misleading. Since you didn't use my exact wording but used quotation marks, I don't know if you are quoting me or someone else. But in case you mean me, based on videos I have watched and posted lines to and first-hand accounts from people I trust more than the police at this point (and my own experiences at protests over the years), I assure you I am not not being misleading.

I've watched police knock over kneeling protesters, attack fleeing protesters. I've posted some of the videos. If it's me you're saying is being misleading, I posted support. I trust the woman who said "one hour" after the feel-good photo op, they were tear gassed. I trust the reporters who are showing and telling us what is happening. I trust the people who said ten minutes later, 45 minutes later, etc. And I trust my own eyes. It's still happening, so I am sure, sadly, that I will have more examples.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
We all have to make our choices as to how involved we get. Just because we are not there at the police line doesn't mean we are doing nothing, but can we fool ourselves that our own version of "thoughts and prayers" or armchair rage is doing anything? Not all of us can be doing the same things. Do what you do, get out of your comfort zone and do more, and make it count. Whatever it is.

And if push comes to shove, be like Rahul Dubey, who sheltered 60-ish protesters in his home overnight, fending of multiple attempts by police to send them out, withstanding tear gas shot in through his windows. This after the DC police herded protesters into a residential neighborhood and blocked them in after curfew, with no avenue of escape.

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
I saw a post online somewhere commenting that, in movies, a crucifix flipping upside-down was often a sign that evil was afoot in the vicinity.

Just throwin' that out there FWIW...

COVID-19 is Pestilence.
Record unemployment is Famine.
Militarized policing is War.
Just one more to go...

ETA: Well if we're going to go there, there's Revelation 13:5:
"And there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies; and power was given unto him to continue forty and two months."
Guess what? It's been 41 months since Trump was inaugurated...

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Right after" is in quotation marks, but I didn't say that, so who is being misleading?
Heavens no, I didn't mean you. I meant the Twitter feed.

I've watched police knock over kneeling protesters, attack fleeing protesters. I've posted some of the videos. If it's me you're saying is being misleading, I posted support. I trust the woman who said "one hour" after the feel-good photo op, they were tear gassed. I trust the reporters who are showing and telling us what is happening. I trust the people who said ten minutes later, 45 minutes later, etc. And I trust my own eyes. It's still happening, so I am sure, sadly, that I will have more examples.
I have no doubt there are many examples. I'm just loathe to paint with a very wide brush.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Protesters are putting a lot on the line. There are many ways you can support from afar. And others. And others. Some folks are going to need legal help. And not just lawyers either.

Several DC churches are hosting and feeding protesters, after months of crashing contributions as a result of covid. (I attend one of these churches, so I won't link.) I'm sure some in your community might be too. Perhaps there are other community groups offering help. Find one you could support. Other services are accepting donations to help people affected by the demonstrations or looting, including food donations, housing, etc. Look around your community to find the helpers. Help them.

Don't forget the other vital charities in your community who have constant need who might get forgotten.

If you do take part in the protests, "know before you go."

Last edited:

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The DEA Has Been Given Permission To Investigate People Protesting George Floyd’s Death

BuzzFeed said:
The Drug Enforcement Administration has been granted sweeping new authority to “conduct covert surveillance” and collect intelligence on people participating in protests over the police killing of George Floyd, according to a two-page memorandum obtained by BuzzFeed News.

Floyd’s death “has spawned widespread protests across the nation, which, in some instances, have included violence and looting,” the DEA memo says. “Police agencies in certain areas of the country have struggled to maintain and/or restore order.” The memo requests the extraordinary powers on a temporary basis, and on Sunday afternoon a senior Justice Department official signed off.

Attorney General William Barr issued a statement Saturday following a night of widespread and at times violent protests in which he blamed, without providing evidence, “anarchistic and far left extremists, using Antifa-like tactics,” for the unrest. He said the FBI, DEA, US Marshals, and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives would be “deployed to support local efforts to enforce federal law.”

Barr did not say what those agencies would do, however.

Announcer voice: "It was nothing good..."

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

ElaineA

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Trump claims he went to bunker for 'inspection' amid violent protests
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/03/politics/donald-trump-bunker/index.html

President Donald Trump sought to explain his presence in an underground White House bunker during violent weekend protests as an "inspection" rather than a retreat for his own safety, telling a radio interviewer Wednesday he was only in the safe room for a "tiny" amount of time.

Multiple people familiar with the matter described a different scenario to CNN. They said Trump was rushed to the bunker for nearly an hour amid intense protests on Friday evening. A law enforcement source and another source familiar with the matter tell CNN that first lady Melania Trump and their son, Barron, were also taken to the bunker.

The Trump family, clipboard at hand, checking the place. Right.

But wait. There is more to that.

After those reporters emerged, Trump fumed that he looked weak and insisted he be photographed outside the White House gates, a demand that ultimate led to his visit Monday to St. John's Church across Lafayette Square.

So the brave hero was photographed with an upside-down bible. Marketing material for the coming weeks. But the place had to be cleaned of the scums first...

MINSTREL: [singing] Brave Sir Robin ran away,

ROBIN: No!

MINSTREL: [singing] Bravely ran away, away.

ROBIN: I didn't!

MINSTREL: [singing] When danger reared its ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled.

ROBIN: No!

MINSTREL: [singing] Yes, brave Sir Robin turned about

ROBIN: I didn't!

MINSTREL: [singing] And gallantly, he chickened out. Bravely taking to his feet,

ROBIN: I never did!

MINSTREL: [singing] He beat a very brave retreat,

ROBIN: All lies!

MINSTREL: [singing] Bravest of the brave, Sir Robin.

ROBIN: I never!

== REF : http://montypython.50webs.com/scripts/Holy_Grail/Scene9.htm ==

-cb

Last edited:

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good on ya, Twitter!

Twitter shuts down white nationalist group posing as Antifa after Donald Trump Jr. shares its tweet

Salon said:
Twitter shut down a fake Antifa account after linking it to the white nationalist group Identity Evropa, the company announced Monday.

A Twitter spokesperson told CNN that an account claiming to belong to a national Antifa organization was shut down after it called for violence at protests over police brutality. Antifa, short for anti-fascist, is not a centralized organization but rather a political protest movement made up of small autonomous groups and individuals.

"This account violated our platform manipulation and spam policy, specifically the creation of fake accounts," the spokesperson said in a statement. "We took action after the account sent a tweet inciting violence and broke the Twitter Rules."

The move came after the account called for violence in residential areas.

"Tonight's the night, Comrades," the newly-created account tweeted Sunday. "Tonight we say 'F**k The City' and we move into the residential areas... the white hoods.... and we take what's ours."

The social network linked the fake account to Identity Evropa, which the Southern Poverty Law Center has classified as a white nationalist hate group.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Meanwhile in Canada...

'They're guitars, not human lives': Montreal store owner says getting looted was worth it to fight racism
https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/they-re...looted-was-worth-it-to-fight-racism-1.4966339

On Sunday night, after most people went home from Montreal’s Black Lives Matter march, troubling videos emerged from downtown.

They showed young people stepping through the smashed windows of businesses along Ste. Catherine St., and one business in particular—Steve’s Music Store, where looters were filmed carrying out guitars.

It's clearly not good for business, says the owner of Steve’s Music, a Montreal institution. But don’t get him wrong, he says: it was all worth it.

“Without any questions whatsoever, it's a noble demonstration and it's clearly far overdue,” says Lenny Lanteigne, the store’s owner.

It was “unfortunate that a few hooligans turned it into a free-for-all,” he says. “It is awful. But next to what some people are going through, this is nothing.”

The store’s insurance company is currently reviewing the damage, and Lanteigne isn’t sure yet how it’ll all turn out financially, he said.

This store has my business from now on and I don't care if I have to drive downtown through heavy traffic and empty my pockets for a parking spot.

On the radio this morning there was an interview with a police officer. They caught the thief with the two stolen guitars along with a hand-written note saying he felt bad for the shop owner and was trying to find a way to return the guitars.

-cb

Last edited:

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Meanwhile in Canada...

They caught the thief with the two stolen guitars along with a hand-written note saying he felt bad for the shop owner and was trying to find a way to return the guitars.

-cb

Awwww. I got warm fuzzies from this.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
People have been doing many good and brave things during these protests. Groups of protesters protecting a cop separated from his unit, police officers taking a knee in support, protesters forming lines to protect businesses, White people forming lines to protect Black protesters from police, protesters giving police officers water, and lots of singing, chanting, and displays of peaceful solidarity.

The inspiring stories are out there, even if we have to dig for them.

https://nowthisnews.com/news/some-of-the-most-powerful-moments-during-peaceful-protests

https://chicagocrusader.com/white-w...orm-human-shield-to-protect-black-protesters/

https://www.policeone.com/george-fl...ated-from-squad-during-riot-fc74XbmQke5CZVv2/

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-...port-george-floyd-protesters-by-taking-a-knee

Meanwhile, our POTUS retreats to the White House bunker, then insists he was merely "inspecting" it.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/03/politics/donald-trump-bunker-secret-service-protests/index.html

Stephen Colbert said it well. Right now we all have to BYOP: Bring our own President. Because we sure as hell aren't getting any leadership or inspiration from that quarter.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Minnesota attorney general to charge Derek Chauvin with second-degree murder, add charges for 3 other police officers

Attorney General Keith Ellison plans to elevate charges against the former Minneapolis police officer who knelt on George Floyd’s neck while adding charges of aiding and abetting murder against the other three officers at the scene, according to multiple law enforcement sources familiar with the case.

Ellison is expected to provide an update this afternoon on the state’s investigation into Floyd’s death. According to sources, former officer Derek Chauvin, recorded on video kneeling on Floyd’s neck as he begged for air on May 25, will now be charged with second-degree murder.

The other three officers at the scene — Tou Thao, J. Alexander Kueng and Thomas Lane — will also be charged with aiding and abetting second-degree murder, according to the sources, who spoke on conditions of anonymity. Chauvin was arrested last Friday and charged with third-degree murder and manslaughter.

Keith Ellison scheduled a press conference to announce these developments, but Amy Klobuchar released the info early by tweet. Possibly trying to rehab her image a bit because she repeatedly failed to prosecute white cops who killed black men.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Minnesota attorney general to charge Derek Chauvin with second-degree murder, add charges for 3 other police officers

Keith Ellison scheduled a press conference to announce these developments, but Amy Klobuchar released the info early by tweet. Possibly trying to rehab her image a bit because she repeatedly failed to prosecute white cops who killed black men.

This is encouraging news.

We need a system that calls out those who aid their fellow officers in these crimes, and who stand by.

We also need a system that actively rewards those who stand up and come forward to break the so-called "blue wall of silence." It is always hard to be a whistle blower, but it is especially hard in a system that has been increasingly militarized and socialized into a mentality where officers see the people they are supposed to serve and protect as enemy combatants. Ultimately, we want a system where we don't need to repeatedly prosecute police officers who murder, because murder by police is incredibly rare, a system where racist, out-of-control cops are repudiated by their fellow officers, and a system where officers can seek and receive help before the challenges of their job fester and warp them.

The language people use matters. It has repercussions, because it shapes attitudes.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...loyd-protests-minnesota-urban-warfare/612421/

This site lists groups and organizations that are working for police reform. It isn't vetted, to my knowledge, but it's a good starting place for people who want to research groups, local and national, that need support.

https://fundersforjustice.org/organizations/

Last edited:

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
The statues are coming down! Looks like my Berlin Wall comparison was right on the money....

https://www.nbc12.com/2020/06/03/virginia-governor-announce-removal-lee-statue/

Not sure what should be done with them TBH. There's the American Civil War Center at Tredegar a few miles away. Maybe place Lee with a statue of Grant to commemorate the surrender at Appomattox?

ETA: There better not be any backlash directed at the gorgeous "Rumors of War" by Kehinde Wiley. https://www.vmfa.museum/about/rumors-of-war/

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
At least get it off that enormous pedestal!
How many mounted Civil War statues are there? Enough to make a big, static carousel?
Better - remove the bronze riders and let actual people ride! Instagram forever!

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Well.

James Mattis Denounces President Trump, Describes Him as a Threat to the Constitution

I have watched this week’s unfolding events, angry and appalled. The words “Equal Justice Under Law” are carved in the pediment of the United States Supreme Court. This is precisely what protesters are rightly demanding. It is a wholesome and unifying demand—one that all of us should be able to get behind. We must not be distracted by a small number of lawbreakers. The protests are defined by tens of thousands of people of conscience who are insisting that we live up to our values—our values as people and our values as a nation.

When I joined the military, some 50 years ago, I swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution. Never did I dream that troops taking that same oath would be ordered under any circumstance to violate the Constitutional rights of their fellow citizens—much less to provide a bizarre photo op for the elected commander-in-chief, with military leadership standing alongside.

Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people—does not even pretend to try. Instead he tries to divide us. We are witnessing the consequences of three years of this deliberate effort. We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership. We can unite without him, drawing on the strengths inherent in our civil society. This will not be easy, as the past few days have shown, but we owe it to our fellow citizens; to past generations that bled to defend our promise; and to our children.

I've been reading criticisms of Trump from Republicans, but they're still enabling him. I'm hoping for something beyond milk condemnation of specific actions and furrowed brows, but not holding my breath. I'll keep pushing and stay loud.

I just watched the virtual town hall with President Obama, Brittany Packnett Cunningham, Rashad Robinson and others. They talked about concrete solutions. Tomorrow I'm going to read up on the specific actions they recommended, which include #eightcan'twait, which are eight policies police departments can adopt that would decrease police violence. I'll take the ideas to a local activism group I belong to, whose leaders just organized my city's peaceful, well-attended vigil and discuss presenting that plan and other ideas to our (terrible) mayor and police department. No one expected the turn out we had last night so we've got momentum. Our mayor was shocked. All he could talk about before the vigil was how fast he'd shut it down at the first hint of trouble. I bet he was disappointed when it exceeded all expectations, and when it was peaceful, ending with an impromptu march through the city center. He made a token appearance, and the second the crowd and police officers took a knee, he about ran into City Hall. We have numbers on our side, and an increasingly diverse city that was all white when I lived here as a child. The mayor overdeveloped it and now it's not just the grandkids and great grandkids of Italian and Irish immigrants. We are going to make positive change.

ElaineA

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I seem to be in the minority of the unimpressed by Mattis's denunciation. It's the absolute least he could do. Meanwhile, the good ol' NYT voluntarily ran a Tom Cotton op-ed calling for US military occupation inside our own borders. No doubt auditioning for the soon-to-be-vacant Secy of Defense position.

I won't link to the op-ed because I firmly believe the NYT should be starved of all revenue and die an agonizing death by bankruptcy. Maybe trump can leverage Invanka's voting machine patents to buy their building and slap his name on it.