The Blog Support Group (for AW Peers)

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I thought more would participate from interest shown in the initial thread. I expected more people responding to RFCs (request for comments). Maybe they lost interest. Maybe they are on vacation. Maybe they want to see how it progresses.

As it stands, same as the other forum. If more activity occurs, I think it will be a different experience.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Raises hand to sitting on the fence and watching. Sorry about that. Makes me think of all the blog posts I read and enjoy but don't comment on. Eek. (Though sometimes I try to comment, discover I have to have some sort of account to do so, and that's the end of that. But I will re-muster my attempts.)

Well, I did start a blog, thanks to this thread :). I'm going to use it as a journal/motivation tool for myself, really. I don't expect much (any) traffic. But it's here (Lola, I promise I didn't intentionally steal your rambles! :/ ) : ajayerambles

I'll pop back later to yak and respond to RFCs (which in my world stands for Richmond Football Club. Yay! go tiges :) ).

Last edited:

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Lola. I'm not sure if this is an either/or you've posted? If so I prefer 1. I've made a few comments but plenty of salt and all that.

I've been thinking about this all day and left it until last to do, but now the time has come and I have to admit; I SUCK at things like this. Absolutely. I haven't posted these onto the blog yet because I KNOW they suck but I'd like people's opinions please <3

Amy had it all. Last year she was a successful model, one of the most sought-after in the country,(redundant? already said she's successful) and was living with her boyfriend in their own flat. Now she’s back in her parents’ home, with no boyfriend, no career and no prospects. What the hell happened? I like hell ;)

Chris has it all. Brought up with wealth and love ooh, love is telling , he’s been lined up for promotion, has a devoted girlfriend and hasn’t a worry in his head. So why is he thinking about chucking it all in?

The love too quick a repeat of the word? of a hobby brings these two conflicting ? I haven't seen anything all that conflicting in these summaries personalities together but do they actually have what it takes to be friends and help one another towards their goals, even if they don’t feel it’s in their best interests? I thought this sentence tailed off into generalities that don't tell me anything. Would much prefer something concrete and voicey.

Chris,

Sorry to drop this on you now. I know we’re supposed to be meeting at the mural in half an hour, but I can’t face it. What’s the point? Art isn’t my purpose in my life. I know what my purpose in life was and I’ve lost it.

You, on the other hand, have it all going for you. Forget the mural, it can paint itself. Why let the opportunity of the job of a lifetime get away from you? I did and I can tell you, it’s no fun on the other side. Take what life is offering you, Chris, and stop resisting it. I have been covering my ears to what has been obvious all along and now I am listening. You should listen, too.

See you soon, pal.
Amy

I found 2. confusing, I wondered whether it was a suicide letter. I do like the idea of following 1. with a short excerpt from the WIP, but for me 2. creates too many questions.

Some general feedback on your blog - I find your voice and understated humour very engaging, and it makes me interested in reading more of your work.

ETA - forgot to mention I love your use of Light and Dark.

Last edited:

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
So, I have a grand total of three blog posts. I want to post at least weekly and it has been seven days since my last blog. I was floundering for an idea but I think I've come up with something. Hopefully. Maybe.

Anyway, I was wondering if we might come up with some sort of prompts for blog posts? Any ideas?

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I'd refrain from words like "hell," if you want to attract the largest demographic to your Blog (e.g. kids included or prudes).

What would make you think this is true? There are all kinds of people out there, reading and writing all kinds of blogs. In some ways, blogging is like any other kind of writing, not every reader is going to be *your* reader. I've been doing this a fairly long time, and the blogs that have longevity are the ones with strong voice and personality, the ones where the blogger enjoys blogging, regardless of content focus.
If the blogger isn't comfortable with cursing, or their specific audience is one where it would be frowned on, like a straight how-to business type of blog, or a religious blog, the language should reflect that audience, but otherwise, it's what the individual blogger is comfortable with.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
What would make you think this is true? There are all kinds of people out there, reading and writing all kinds of blogs. In some ways, blogging is like any other kind of writing, not every reader is going to be *your* reader. I've been doing this a fairly long time, and the blogs that have longevity are the ones with strong voice and personality, the ones where the blogger enjoys blogging, regardless of content focus.
If the blogger isn't comfortable with cursing, or their specific audience is one where it would be frowned on, like a straight how-to business type of blog, or a religious blog, the language should reflect that audience, but otherwise, it's what the individual blogger is comfortable with.

I meant it toward gaining viewers (and the viewer preference of possibly not wanting to visit the Blog).

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I meant it toward gaining viewers (and the viewer preference of possibly not wanting to visit the Blog).

I think that's not really a wise decision. I think instead:

• Focus on writing well and clearly
  • Write truly about what you really think—using first person (I)
  • Don't cuss gratuitously but be yourself within the constraints of writing well for your public.

Good writing, interesting, engaging writing will find its own audience. So think about your readers, but don't pre-judge them if you're writing for a wide audience (vs. for instance for a particularly restrictive audience, say, a religious or socio-political niche).

mselephant2015

Registered
Reaction score
Enlightened said it best;
the intent of this group is to provide anything from a one-time review to on-going support for bloggers. We can bounce ideas off one another. We can post our goals, for our blogs, and peers can offer suggestions as to how to work towards those goals (based on knowledge and/or experience). The possibilities are endless.

Participation: To participate, you can do so in one of two ways. 1) If you do not have a blog, or do not want feedback on it but want to participate, feel free to offer feedback on other members' blogs. 2) If you have a blog, and want feedback, post the blog link, what goals you have for the blog, and what they would like others to comment on (or maybe include specific questions you would like answered).

Noizchild

Registered
Reaction score
Website
noizchild.neocities.org
As I understand it, there isn't a separate blog. This is a thread where people share links to their own blogs and ask for comment. (I think.)

Oh, okay.

I have been working on a project called City Lounge. It's based off of the CD collection of the same name. The project focuses on four cities: Paris, Berlin, London, and New York. Basic summary of each storyline:

Paris: American man is dumped by his cheating American girlfriend and he ends up in a hot relationship with a sexy, wild Parisan mixed race woman.
Berlin: Shy American woman slowly embraces a more active and wild life in Berlin
London: Two exes meet again and wonder what happened to their relationship and if they should get back together
New York: LGBT group in their daily lives and conversations.

Which one would you like for me to share first? I'll even give you the characters if you want.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, okay.

I have been working on a project called City Lounge. It's based off of the CD collection of the same name. The project focuses on four cities: Paris, Berlin, London, and New York. Basic summary of each storyline:

Paris: American man is dumped by his cheating American girlfriend and he ends up in a hot relationship with a sexy, wild Parisan mixed race woman.
Berlin: Shy American woman slowly embraces a more active and wild life in Berlin
London: Two exes meet again and wonder what happened to their relationship and if they should get back together
New York: LGBT group in their daily lives and conversations.

Which one would you like for me to share first? I'll even give you the characters if you want.

Are you asking for critique of your writing samples on your Blog (pertaining to these projects) or something else?

mselephant2015

Registered
Reaction score
Ajaye: I really like your blog! Love a fellow rambler ;) And what you were 'rambling' about :D My only comment is; magpies! Don't you say hello to them? Maybe that's what you Aussies are doing wrong ;) Honestly, though, I really enjoyed your writing style and the completely random topics. I too love a veranda :D

Thank you for your feedback! I need to work on it, but I think I prefer 1, too. I'd rather write another novel than come up with a snappy line :ROFL: but I'll keep working on it!

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your kind words Lola. I will definitely say g'day to the magpies and see if it helps. Certainly can't hurt :)

Sounds like a great idea to put your time into your novel. As an interested blog reader I'd be content enough to know you had WIPs happening. Happy wordsing!

Noizchild

Registered
Reaction score
Website
noizchild.neocities.org
Who else writes stories in their blogs?

Every November, I do another project about controversial album covers. I post them, why they are controversial, and my take on them. Some I agree and others I don't.

mselephant2015

Registered
Reaction score
I do... sort of! Little stories, either positive ones or negatives ones, depending on how I'm feeling.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Noiszchild, post a link!

I do stories every once in a while. But mostly my blog is publicity for my published writing, my ventures into randomly generated people, places, and things for worldbuilding, book reviews, and writing commentary.

Noizchild

Registered
Reaction score
Website
noizchild.neocities.org
Noiszchild, post a link!

I do stories every once in a while. But mostly my blog is publicity for my published writing, my ventures into randomly generated people, places, and things for worldbuilding, book reviews, and writing commentary.

I posted it earlier. But which one do you want-- Paris, Berlin, London, New York, or Album Covers?

Sekkori36

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sekkorisbooks.com
Hello guys, I was gone for a while, working on my new blog. so far I have a total of three posts and hopefully will blog about once per week. Hopefully. Check it out and let me know what you think so far. www.sekkorisbooks.com
its still a work in progress.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I posted it earlier. But which one do you want-- Paris, Berlin, London, New York, or Album Covers?

Album covers. Why isn't your blog in your sig line?