How to build an author profile prior to publication?

spstevens

Registered
Reaction score
I'm still revising my first book, but I'd quite like someone to read it when it's ready early next year, so I've set up a website, Facebook, and started blogging. I'm considering Twitter and Pinterest, and creating a Wiki for my fantasy world, as well as posting 'promo scenes'. I'd love to hear ideas from the community on how to get noticed prior to indie publication.

If you follow my Facebook page HERE you can keep an eye on how I get on, and learn from my mistakes. Today I made a promo video - it all feels rather premature, but I love my story and I hope others will too.

Feel free to PM me if you want advice or help setting up anything like this. I also have a website at www.spstevens.com

So, aside from not having anything ready for people to read yet (yes, I know that's a biggie), what am I doing wrong (or well), and what else do people recommend to try?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still revising my first book, but I'd quite like someone to read it when it's ready early next year, so I've set up a website, Facebook, and started blogging. I'm considering Twitter and Pinterest, and creating a Wiki for my fantasy world, as well as posting 'promo scenes'. I'd love to hear ideas from the community on how to get noticed prior to indie publication.

I hope you've read this thread:

[h=3]How to promote your book like an intelligent human being and not an SEO Dweeb[/h]
It will help you work out what's important, and why.

Note that self publishing is different to working with an independent publisher, so your term "indie publication" is potentially confusing.

So, aside from not having anything ready for people to read yet (yes, I know that's a biggie), what am I doing wrong (or well), and what else do people recommend to try?

Yes, it really is a problem. Stop trying to promote something that doesn't yet exist, and focus on the work for now.

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a reader. I might be your reader. But you have to pique my interest. You have only one post here so far, which reads like an entry in the Yellow Pages. "Here is a blog, here is a facebook". But why would I go read them? You see where that's going? There is no incentive to go read your blog and your facebook. There are plenty blogs out there. Can you show me that your blog would be interesting to read? Show that you can write interesting stuff. Post some interesting stuff on the forum and we'll see. Make people want to listen to what you have to say.
:e2bouncey

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
How many times I am going to look at your website = zero, until I have a reason to do so. The reason to do so is that you get your work published in a manner that attracts my attention. Concentrate on your writing and on getting that into respectable publication, and ignore your website until you have managed the former.

caw