Roy Moore: Predator(?)

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
[h=1]Woman Says Alabama Senate Candidate Roy Moore Put Her Hand on His Genitals When She Was 14[/h]
A woman has told the Washington Post that Republican Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore tried to initiate a sexual encounter with her in 1979 when she was 14 and he was 32:

Moore chatted with her and asked for her phone number, she says. Days later, she says, he picked her up around the corner from her house in Gadsden, drove her about 30 minutes to his home in the woods, told her how pretty she was and kissed her. On a second visit, she says, he took off her shirt and pants and removed his clothes. He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear.​

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Barack Obama

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Here we go:

Alabama State Auditor Jim Zeigler, a Moore backer: "Even if you accept the Washington Post’s report as being completely true, it’s much ado about very little. "

I went to his Facebook page. He wants to ban Muslims and may run for governor.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Inadequate news story: Was he married at the time? This is Mr Ten Commandments mind you.
He married in 1985, I looked it up for the reporters. The encounter was in 1979, apparently not salacious-worthy. She is 14 years younger than Moore. Fits the pattern.​

Was he in the habit of dating young women? Surely if at 30 he liked girls under 20 there would be a pattern.
So doing the math, if Moore was 32 (I think they said) in 1979, that would make him ~38 in 85 and his wife 14 years younger. That would make her ~24 when they married. It does establish he likes younger women which adds credibility to the accusations.

I'm not sure I care if he dated 18 yr olds though I'm sure some would disapprove. But 16 and especially 14, the man's a creep, and certainly a hypocrite. Add to that the 14 yr old was a client or the daughter of one, that is entirely unethical.​

And puhleese reporters, learn the definition of pedophile. Preying on young clients/defendants is plenty bad enough.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I have a feeling this is actually going to help him.

The people who support him, or who supported his primary opponent, I'm generalizing, could be more the 'bandwagon/women out to get something/fake news/George Soros/trying to get Trump' people who would find this... energizing.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I have a feeling this is actually going to help him.

The people who support him, or who supported his primary opponent, I'm generalizing, could be more the 'bandwagon/women out to get something/fake news/George Soros/trying to get Trump' people who would find this... energizing.
I don't think it will. Ordinarily, Republicans and Trump supporters would be leaping to his defense. Remember, allegations against trump himself have been routinely dismissed by the GOP.

But Roy Moore is someone that establishment republicans wanted no part of in the first place. He ran as much against Mitch McConnell as he did his opponent. And Donald Trump was no supporter of his at the time, although he certainly warmed up to him after Moore won the primary.

But if the accusations appear credible, which at this point they certainly do, the Republicans will jump at the chance to dump him. The man is a theocratic nutcase and a loose cannon, and since anyone with an R behind his or her name will win the general in Alabama, the GOP would find almost any other candidate infinitely preferable.

He won't get any support from the GOP unless he somehow weathers the storm, in which case they'll be backing him to the hilt come election time. But if they can force him out before then, they'll be delighted.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't disagree w/re the party in general, but I think they're going to be wary locally of doing something that'll piss off that many in-state voters and I think on the ground, it'll help him.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
R's are already hedging their bets, but Moore is on the ballot regardless. Per Daily Beast:

Within hours of a Washington Post story reporting the allegations against Roy Moore, a former chief justice of the Alabama Supreme Court, the Senate’s top Republicans called on Moore to withdraw from the race—albeit with a caveat.
<snip>
...there is no formal mechanism for his name to be removed from the ballot since, as the Alabama secretary of state’s office noted, absentee ballots have already been sent out with Moore’s name on them.

What the people of Alabama do is an entirely different kettle of fish, though.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
At the state level, so far, I am seeing nothing but support. I already posted about the state auditor. Two Alabama County GOP Party Chairmen have also expressed support, one even if Moore did what he's accused of:

"It was 40 years ago," Alabama Marion County GOP chair David Hall tells me. "I really don't see the relevance of it. He was 32. She was supposedly 14. She's not saying that anything happened other than they kissed."

Me: "The story said she said he tried to get her to touch his genitals." Hall: "Well, she said he may have TRIED to. But we're talking something that somebody SAID happened, 40 years ago. It wouldn't affect whether or not I'd vote for him."

Hall also said he didn't see anything wrong with a 30-year old dating a 16-year old.

After a long pause, Alabama Bibb County Republican chairman Jerry Pow tells me he'd vote for Roy Moore even if Moore did commit a sex crime against a girl.

Others he contacted did not comment.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I don't disagree w/re the party in general, but I think they're going to be wary locally of doing something that'll piss off that many in-state voters and I think on the ground, it'll help him.
I doubt it. I think it will hurt him, though not enough for him to lose the race – he will be the next senator from Alabama.

But just as Trump's unpopularity is hurting the Republican brand nationwide, the Dems are going to push Roy Moore as the face of the "new" Republican Party (if they have any sense) and I think that will have an effect elsewhere, especially with independents who are already beginning to look at the Republican Party with a somewhat jaundiced eye.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Here's a defense of Roy Moore:

"Also take Joseph and Mary. Mary was a teenager and Joseph was an adult carpenter. They became parents of Jesus.”

Test your political acumen. Is this a quote from the Onion or from an actual Alabama politician?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a defense of Roy Moore:

"Also take Joseph and Mary. Mary was a teenager and Joseph was an adult carpenter. They became parents of Jesus.”

Test your political acumen. Is this a quote from the Onion or from an actual Alabama politician?
Must be an actual Alabama politician because I don't believe the Onion would allow themselves to get the biblical story that wrong...

Catherine

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Please let it be The Onion. I have a feeling it's not.

The reaction of Moore's supporters makes me angry. This is the reason women (girls in this case) don't come forward. The hypocrisy is dumbfounding.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Alabama politics is about as weird as it gets. Remember not so long ago the governor was embroiled in a sex scandal which he adamantly denied pick despite the copious evidence of audio tapes. He refused to step down, so impeachment procedures were started. However, that pending impeachment was blocked by Alabama's attorney general, who proclaimed it to be a criminal matter that he personally would take care of.

Of course, he did no such thing. The governor stayed in office and when Jeff Sessions was appointed USAG by Trump, The governor filled his vacant Senate seat with – guess who, the aforementioned Alabama attorney general – one Luther Strange. Alabama politics as usual.

A couple of years before that, the speaker of the house in Alabama was indicted on 23 charges of corruption two weeks before Election Day. He too refused to step down, and was re-elected despite being under indictment. He was then elected by his fellow Republicans to be speaker of the house once again.

Eventually he was sentenced to four years in prison which apparently was the only way he was going to be removed from his position.

Roy Moore was of course removed from the Alabama Supreme Court for judicial misconduct -- twice. And he will, without doubt, win the senate seat.

Cornflake may turn out to be correct; this particular scandal may indeed energize his base who passionately believes it to be nothing more than a vicious Democrat plot to destroy an honorable man.

And yes, that quote is not from the Onion but from the Alabama state auditor:

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/roy...k&ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000013&section=politics

Silva

saucy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
As far as I understand, Roy Moore is connected to fundamentalist evangelical royalty (Bill Gothard, the Duggars, etc) so I doubt that particular base will turn away from him any more than they've turned away from Gothard or the Duggars for their (very similar) scandals.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Looking back:

In 2015, while Moore was serving on the Alabama Supreme Court, he considered the case of Eric Lemont Higdon, a 17-year-old, who was convicted of raping a 12-year-old at a daycare center. Higdon was found guilty under a sodomy statute that applied specifically to minors, as well another statute prohibiting rape. The second conviction was overturned by an appeals court and sent to the state supreme court for review.

Eight justices found that the 12-year-old’s fear of harm from a much older and larger individual was enough to establish “implied threat of serious physical injury” and reinstated Higdon’s conviction. Moore was the only dissent, saying that there was “no evidence in this case of an implied threat of serious physical injury.” Moore oddly argued that the court’s interpretation opened the door to a 10-year-old being found guilty of raping an 8-year-old.

The twitter thread of AL GOP officials commenting on Moore has grown:

Alabama Geneva County GOP chairman Riley Seibenhener, who called me back, says he doesn't believe the allegations are true, but if they're true he won't support him - but, at the same time, it's not "forcible rape."

"I know that 14-year-olds don't make good decisions," he adds.

Well, yeah, which is irrelevant since they also can't consent. And the "it's not 'forcible rape'" is why until middle-age, I didn't understand I'd been sexually assaulted more than once. Because someone's hand on my breasts or down my pants while I fought them off didn't register as sexual assault (though, oddly, I knew it was when it happened to someone else). Among other things, you can't blame children for their own assaults and have a healthy society.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, due to crappy wifi, I was unable to save or reply to this tweet, but I saw someone yesterday saying that they would stick by Moore and any Republican candidate, no matter what, and it was the Democrats' fault because Hillary called Republican voters "deplorables."

How much I wanted to say, "Thanks for proving her right."

(Though, I'm not saying that all Republican voters are deplorable. Just the ones who vote for people like Moore regardless of what they've done.)

Last edited:

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Not from the Onion:

Paul Reynolds, the Republican National Committeeman from Alabama, told The Hill that something about the timing of the accusation and the Post’s role breaking the story “doesn’t smell right.”

“My gosh, it's The Washington Post. If I’ve got a choice of putting my welfare into the hands of Putin or The Washington Post, Putin wins every time,” he said.

“This is going to make Roy Moore supporters step up to the plate and give more, work more and pray more."

Putin and prayer. There ya go.