• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] BookEnds, LLC / Beyond the Page Publishing

Bogna

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bemaslanka.wordpress.com
I met Jessica Alvarez at a pitch session at the NECRWA con. She admitted that my sub-genre wasn't for her and I greatly appreciated her honesty. She did suggest that I query Moe Ferrara because Moe has more experience with scifi and lgtbq. I sent off my query today and I am trying to stay focused.

Author CJ Black

My Skin Is Thick enough, thank you.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authorcjblack.com
I met Jessica Alvarez at a pitch session at the NECRWA con. She admitted that my sub-genre wasn't for her and I greatly appreciated her honesty. She did suggest that I query Moe Ferrara because Moe has more experience with scifi and lgtbq. I sent off my query today and I am trying to stay focused.

Best of luck to you! I have a full out with Moe Ferrara right now. I would recommend following her on Twitter as she supplies a lot of info and will answer questions.
https://twitter.com/inthesestones

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Moe Ferrara is an awesome new agent, but be warned that her response times can be very long. She usually tries to post her inbox query status on Twitter, periodically. She can run about 5 to 8 months behind. I queried her in early Feb this year, then again per agency requirements in early July. Requested material can take up to 8 or 9 months.

Last edited:

Author CJ Black

My Skin Is Thick enough, thank you.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authorcjblack.com
Moe Ferrara is an awesome new agent, but be warned that her response times can be very long. She usually tries to post her inbox query status on Twitter, periodically. She can run about 5 to 8 months behind. I queried her in early Feb this year, then again per agency requirements in early July. Requested material can take up to 8 or 9 months.

Yes, her wait times are very long. I've been back and forth with her for almost a year but she is the agent I want (we also have things in common outside of the business like a love for video games) and now that I have my full with her, I'm willing to wait. I believe she's going through her February queries now. She's been really kicking it lately. Definitely not a no-responder and you wouldn't believe how many of *those* I've had! :cry: Best of luck to you and I hope you get a response soon!

Last edited:

cdecho

Registered
Reaction score
I queried BookEnds on a humorous historical mystery using their online form and got a request for a full and synopsis from Jessica Faust. Anyone know how long she usually takes to respond on a full?

Dmbeucler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmbeucler.blogspot.com
From Publisher's Marketplace/Lunch

"Rachel Brooks has joined Book Ends Literary as agent, moving her client list with her. Previously she was at the L. Perkins Agency."

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Queried Kim Lionetti via her internet form: 07.07
Request for full: 07.07

BUT, I popped off the query before I headed to the airport. I received the request when I checked e-mail after our arrival. Ack. I am on holiday so I wrote back and explained I can't send her the ms until I get back. The book is on my desktop MAC, though I've got a non-edited version on my laptop with me. No response to that message. I just never thought I'd get a response as quickly (and TBH, I thought it would be a rejection). Has anybody been in this situation before, ie., not sending requested materials when asked? The earliest I can send the book would be 30th July. Ack.

Last edited:

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have any full requests that you sent via e-mail before? Might be saved in your sent folder that you could pull off, save to another computer, then send out from that computer?

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Do you have any full requests that you sent via e-mail before? Might be saved in your sent folder that you could pull off, save to another computer, then send out from that computer?

Alas, no I do not. All I have is an unedited version of this book. This was my first batch of queries for this new ms, and I promised hubs and kids this was a holiday and I would be 100% focused on them. I brought my dilapidated old PC and a few documents I'm writing for fun, but not serious work. In a weird twist, Chicken House held an impromptu Twitter pitch contest, also on 07.07. I found out about that one shortly before taking the taxi to the airport, then I sort of burped out a pitch. Because, Chicken House. They 'liked' my pitch (for same book) and want the full ms. No can do on that one either. So. Kinda screwed over here, but thinking that if people want to read my book they'll be willing to wait a few weeks, no? I mean, authors wait forever for answers, so a few weeks won't make that much difference...or maybe it will. But there's nothing I can do. Mac is locked in a closet back in the UK... Thanks for trying to help. Just wondering what happens if you don't send things immediately after you've been asked.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I think you'll be fine, Pisco. You did send an e-mail explaining the situation and the people over at Bookends are a relaxed, friendly bunch. If, for some reason, Kim didn't get your e-mail, she may just assume her e-mail got hit by your spam filter and poke you again to make sure you got it, and you can just reply and explain then. My wife is an illustrator and is repped by one of the agents there, and as far as I can tell, they're not a deadly serious, crack-the-whip with a frown kind of agency.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, it seems like it's usually the times when authors assume they're not going to get a response for a while that agents send requests right away. Usually this story comes in the form of people querying before the novel is actually done and racing to get it done and edited, but at least you know there's a good polished version waiting for you on July 30th.

Doesn't seem like there's any point in worrying about it. Either Kim doesn't care that you send so long after the request or she does care and assumes you queried prematurely. You can't change the circumstances either way. In the future, just makes sure you have a copy of your novel if you're actively querying (particularly if you're so actively querying that you're sending queries the day before you leave) and going to be away from your main computer. Plus, e-mailing to yourself is a good way to back-up your most recent version.

Simultaneous congrats and :Hug2:

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
I think you'll be fine, Pisco. You did send an e-mail explaining the situation and the people over at Bookends are a relaxed, friendly bunch. If, for some reason, Kim didn't get your e-mail, she may just assume her e-mail got hit by your spam filter and poke you again to make sure you got it, and you can just reply and explain then. My wife is an illustrator and is repped by one of the agents there, and as far as I can tell, they're not a deadly serious, crack-the-whip with a frown kind of agency.

Thanks, Shoeless! I'm going to take your advice and chill. Also, nice to know your wife is happy there. :)

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Shoeless! I'm going to take your advice and chill. Also, nice to know your wife is happy there. :)

The irony is that she got representation offered to her when she was trying to provide moral support to me as *I* was trying to get representation from another of their agents at a writing conference. Did not work out for me. Happy for her, of course, but... yeah... somewhat bitter pill to swallow at the time...

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, it seems like it's usually the times when authors assume they're not going to get a response for a while that agents send requests right away. Usually this story comes in the form of people querying before the novel is actually done and racing to get it done and edited, but at least you know there's a good polished version waiting for you on July 30th.

Doesn't seem like there's any point in worrying about it. Either Kim doesn't care that you send so long after the request or she does care and assumes you queried prematurely. You can't change the circumstances either way. In the future, just makes sure you have a copy of your novel if you're actively querying (particularly if you're so actively querying that you're sending queries the day before you leave) and going to be away from your main computer. Plus, e-mailing to yourself is a good way to back-up your most recent version.

Simultaneous congrats and :Hug2:

Thanks! The irony is that back in April it did cross my mind to begin querying this novel--because responses *always* take at least 8 weeks! Ha!. But I didn't want to risk it so I waited until the book was 'finished' and sent off my queries on 07.07. I knew if I brought the book with me I'd fiddle with it over my holiday. I just...would. I have a tendency to over-edit! Also, I am sick to death of editing this novel and I needed a change. After my initial few days of beating myself up about it, I'm in a 'que sera, sera' zone. Like you said, there's no point in worrying. Lesson learned. Thanks for the cyber hugs.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com

Thanks for mentioning this. I got a partial request in mid-December and sent a nudge today (but of course the only email address I had was the auto-reply one which provides the link to Query Manager).

tsrosenberg

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsrosenberg.wordpress.com
Got a personal rejection from Moe Ferrara after 16 months - she had personal issues and is digging her way out of her inbox and TBR pile. She even gave reasons why she didn't feel my partial was working, which was nice of her. Additionally, I recently got two very quick (2-3 days) rejections from other BookEnds agents for my contemporary adult novel. Impressive all around.

quianaa2001

Registered
Reaction score
Got a full request on 9/5 from a query sent on 9/3 from Jessica Faust. I've got everything crossed, she sounds like a dream agent. Saw on query tracker that someone got a rejection today on a full sent on 9/6 so I'm worried my rejection isn't far behind. Send positive vibes

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
And the ball keeps rolling! After querying on 9/12, I received a full request on 9/13 from Kim. Sent it off on 9/14 with the synopsis. Crossing my fingers and everything else I can cross!

Good luck! I think she'd be an awesome agent.

Alas, I botched my full request from Ms. Lionetti, back in July. I queried then went on holiday thinking it would take two or three weeks to hear back. I was wrong. When I returned I sent the requested material--or I thought I did. I went to look at the website link over the weekend to check if there was any update and my full did not show as having uploaded. My laptop was in its final moments back in July, turning itself off and suchlike--the only reason I can think of for the book not loading. *sigh* In the meantime I've done several Twitter pitch contests and send out the ms to other agents. Talk about a jinxed submission. After agonising over it I have now sent the full to Ms. Lionetti again, with an apology message. But I don't favour my chances. All I can do is hope she'll remember she liked the book enough to ask for the full, and hope my chapters do the talking.

ETA: sent requested full from back in July: 09.16.17
Form rejection (ouch): 10.06.17

Gutted! However, Natascha Morris requested this book during #kidpit, #Pitmad and #dvpit, and when I told her Ms. Lionetti had the full she said to query her if she passed. I checked out Ms Morris's MWSL and she seemed like a good fit, so I have.

Last edited:

quianaa2001

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Preacher'sWife! Also awesome Pisco Sour you're on fire!!!! WOOT! Positive vibes for all!