The 2016-2017 Sekrit Solstice Sci-Fi Fantasy Story Swap

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
So, er... I may have forgotten to include the map that goes with my story, "Moonsire" to anyone who has asked for it, thus, this post... I present, drum-roll please... *rolls drums* The Land the Turtle left Behind!!!*

*You may have to zoom in to see everything depending on your screen size, :eek:

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Well, the Hunters were finally caught, so anyone who might be interested in my story, it's available. Hunters runs 11,000 words, so be warned if you're tempted.

Also, if you want to know the inspiration for the story, check out Al Stewart's song, "The Running Man". I think you'll get a good feeling for where the story's going from the song.

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Damo, will it spoil anything to look at the map first? I haven't had a chance to read your story yet.

Last edited:

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
So, er... I may have forgotten to include the map that goes with my story, "Moonsire" to anyone who has asked for it, thus, this post... I present, drum-roll please... *rolls drums* The Land the Turtle left Behind!!!*

Damo, will it spoil anything to look at the map first? I haven't had a chance to read your story yet.

No spoilsiez! :D I repeat, NO SPOILERS are contained within the gdoc of the map I just posted. NONE! XD you are super safe to see it, I promise.

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
No spoilsiez! :D I repeat, NO SPOILERS are contained within the gdoc of the map I just posted. NONE! XD you are super safe to see it, I promise.

Awesome! I love maps with stories!

Map looks fantastic! I think your story just jumped to the head of the queue. :D

Last edited:

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
*envies Dammy's ability to make maps*

*Volunteers cartographic excellence for Effby's nefarious purposes* :p If you need a map of this style drawn up, dearest Effby, simply ask :) I love any excuse to make maps, but the Land the Turtle left Behind is looking like it'll be a huge time sink for me, and there isn't much left to draw on it... so I'd totes love to make one for you if you want one!! :D

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Thanks for the offer Dammy. :) I'm afraid the one map I've tried to draw up is still very much in flux as the story that spawned it is still growing and developing, so there's not much point in making it fancy right now. But you never know...I might take you up on the offer some day down the road. :)

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
... say... 51 of them??? ;)

My word counts are taking a hit with all the stories I'm devouring. Amazed by the level of creativity and talent on this forum, once again! You guys freaking rock!:e2headban

I may be more curious than most, but the question I keep repeating is, what was your prompt? I love putting the two together and seeing the seed that bloomed the story. I wonder if we should include the prompts at the beginning of our stories in future SSFFSSS? Unless I'm just abnormally curious?

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
*Volunteers cartographic excellence for Effby's nefarious purposes* :p If you need a map of this style drawn up, dearest Effby, simply ask :) I love any excuse to make maps, but the Land the Turtle left Behind is looking like it'll be a huge time sink for me, and there isn't much left to draw on it... so I'd totes love to make one for you if you want one!! :D

Love the map Damo, and am filing away both the knowledge of your abilities and the generousness of your offer (even tho it wasn't to me). My MS isn't quite there yet, but I have many scratch map attempts, since the landscape plays an crucial role to my story. As it is though, land masses are still moving a bit. However, I may call upon you when they settle down! :D

-Riv-

The much appreciated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For all of y'all who have requested Leap of Fate, I'll be sending it out tomorrow. (And I still have requests of my own to make, though will likely be after all the guessinating is complete.)

Woot! Great Sisyphus season!

J. A. Rama

Master Plot Hydra Conqueror
Registered
Reaction score
Website
phractalreality.blogspot.com
The Sleeping Beauty by tianaluthien: Man, do I love stories that transform fairy tale tropes into entirely science fiction, and this does not disappoint! Here we have action, a touch of romance, and the best dang twist on the actual Sleeping Beauty ever! Short, and a very good read.

Broken Upon Sisyphus Rock by Ari Meermans: I always love seeing Victorian language done well! The words here give you a flavor of the times without ever getting bogged down in unnecessary periods or using unnecessarily flowery language. Here we have a neat little paranormal/ghost story. Immediately it hooks you with a Very Intriguing portrait of the Very Intriguing main character, before it dives into the dark heart of an old - SPOILER! In fact, the only thing wrong with this story is that I would have loved to see more of these characters and their adventures.

Read this story. You will never look at curricles the same again.

R.U.R.-8 by zanzjan: This was my gift, and I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for it to be guessed so I can talk about how awesome it is! My prompt only specified that it had to be about a character who was a robot/android/cyborg of any type, so as to leave wiggle room for varying styles and genres, but zanz couldn't have hit upon a more perfect combination if she'd sat down and ASKED me my taste. (And no, she didn't.)

It's doomy, with the sense of a crushed, small, machine-polished pocket of a society within a vast, scary, decaying world in the truest Asimovian sense, sad with reflections of humanity, yet has funny moments presented with the snickery-snark that only a perfectly logical robot can deliver. I love the mood, I love the setting, and I love how the seemingly small problems of the main characters and their understated actions reflect the huge, epic problems of humanity and the world at large. Yes, all the main characters are robots, and they're as logical, and mechanical as I could have wished. Don't think that makes them boring protagonists, though - their stories unfold like logical puzzles, and just like in Asimov's stories, sometimes they're more human than the humans. No spoilers, but I have to say I completely geeked out when I saw the title. The fact that this story is also a play, and given a certain plot detail, makes it a double awesome reference. If you don't get the reference, read the story, then google 'R.U.R.' [the play by Karel Capek]. I won't give away what it means.

This story/script is a must read, I repeat, MUST READ for anyone who even remotely calls themselves a fan of Isaac Asimov. Actually, read it anyway, because it's a great story!

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
The guessing list looks much more complete now!

If anyone wants to read 'A Melody Wrapped in Moonlight', throw me a rep/PM with email.

Richard White

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
And if you ever need any assistance on world building, (Unlikely after reading your story last night, but you never know), I know a guy who wrote a book on world building that Dammy reviewed who might be available for assistance. *grin*

tianaluthien

What I do is not up to you
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com

Ooooooooh.... *files away Dammy's map-making for future reference*

The Sleeping Beauty by tianaluthien: Man, do I love stories that transform fairy tale tropes into entirely science fiction, and this does not disappoint! Here we have action, a touch of romance, and the best dang twist on the actual Sleeping Beauty ever! Short, and a very good read.

Oh my goodness. Thank you. :eek:

I need to start contacting people for stories....

paddismac

Parasite free since '09
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I think I've managed to send out all the requests for my story. If I've missed anybody, or if anybody else wants to read The Stone Proxy, just rep or pm your email.

Richard White

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Dammy,

Seeing how confession is good for the soul - you noted in your critique that I hadn't put a map in For A Few Gold Pieces More. The truth is, I have no map for the Empire. Since those were stand alone short stories when they were first written, I hadn't really considered how each story related to the other.

Not to worry though. Now that I'm developing a full novel around my rogue, there will be a map (whether the publisher wants to include it is anyone's guess).

Last edited:

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Ack! I've been guessed!

If anybody would like to read C-h-a-t, drop me a line and I'll be happy to send it over. It has a goat in it, so if you're not yet goated out, this is your chance for still more goat!

ETA: It's approx. 4,500 words.

Last edited:

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I've finally been guessed. :partyguy:

If anyone wants to read The Life You Deserve, send me a PM or a rep with where to send it. Fair warning; it clocks in just over 10k words.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
My word counts are taking a hit with all the stories I'm devouring. Amazed by the level of creativity and talent on this forum, once again! You guys freaking rock!:e2headban

I may be more curious than most, but the question I keep repeating is, what was your prompt? I love putting the two together and seeing the seed that bloomed the story. I wonder if we should include the prompts at the beginning of our stories in future SSFFSSS? Unless I'm just abnormally curious?

I like this idea!

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I like this too!

ION: Sisyphus has officially invaded my dreams. I kept dreaming about requesting stories last night.

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I've finally been guessed. :partyguy:

If anyone wants to read The Life You Deserve, send me a PM or a rep with where to send it. Fair warning; it clocks in just over 10k words.

A must read if you're a fantasy lover; the world building is on point. And honestly, the extra length is just a little Sisyphus bonus!:e2bouncey

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
Wooo we're done! This has been really fun :Sun: really glad I took part.

Wondering what the rules are for posting our full stories in SYW?